Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2020, 10:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,587 times

Advertisements

I am looking to buy a home in the Bridgeland subdivision in Cypress for my family and I. I am leaning heavily towards a new construction, rather than buying an older home in the established parts of Bridgeland, and I am not sure which builder to use. I would like to stay under 400k, and preferably closer to 350k. The builders I have seen in this price point on HAR are:

David Weekley, Alexander, M/I, Perry, Highland, Lennar, Chesmar, and Beazer.

Does anyone have any input on how I should approach which builder to use, or another builder not listed? Primarily, which of these has the best quality builds. I am also, of course, interested in best value per dollar, aesthetics, etc. Thank you.

(Of note, I am most likely not going to choose David Weekley, because even though they seem to have the best reputation, their homes in my price range are quite small. Lennar on the other hand seems to have good value in dollars/sqft, although has mixed reviews. Supposedly Lennar's quality has improved recently though? I'm not sure.)
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2020, 06:48 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,584,536 times
Hi

First you have to make sure you align with a builder that speaks to your tastes. Otherwise you kind of start off on the wrong foot. Some are focused on efficiency, luxury, quality, etc. I've not heard of Alexander, so I assume they are new or a custom builder. If so, they will usually be more expensive, but if you need the freedom of designing a forever home then that is your best bet, probably not 400K price range.

Perry, Highland, and DW are tired and trued in this area. You can't go wrong with quality. At least with Highland and Perry, they seem very template style floor plans, just bigger this and bigger that.

Lennar is a huge builder and I've noticed they are more focused on the higher range homes. You can compare them to D.R. Horton. Village Builders is their higher tier.

Chesmar is newer, well not that new anymore but they builder mid priced homes and are big on efficiency. I almost bought one back in 2011. Biggest gripe with them is their floor plans, at least the ones I've seen in the past.

I dont have much info on Beazer but have seem them build cheaper homes and then some nice larger homes near the 290/Telge area. I don't see a lot of Beazer.

M/I , I think M/I was named something else before. I knew two friends who bought one and it was a nice open floor plan with nice finishes. I wouldn't rule them out if I like what I see.

Whomever you choose, have your own inspector review the build. Check which builder uses OSB and not just plain sheathing.

Check out some videos from Matt Risinger on youtube, he has some good things too look for when building a home in Texas.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:16 AM

305 posts, read 265,379 times
I had a Perry home in the past and loved it. Had no issues with the house in 8 years, and when I sold it the buyer's did not ask for anything from their home inspection, so I'd assume it has no major issues. I happen to like the closet sizes in their homes as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: