Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2020, 07:36 AM

55 posts, read 39,651 times

Advertisements

Anyone have a fiberglass inground pool? Pro and Cons? Any recommendations of reputable company? Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:11 AM

1,416 posts, read 4,438,204 times
We are currently building a traditional concrete/gunite inground pool. My understanding is that our clay soil type isn't conducive to fiberglass shell pools, which is why you don't see too many. I think this partially explains why people tend view them as "lower quality" (perception, not that this is reality).

Old 11-17-2020, 09:54 AM

2,549 posts, read 4,052,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
We are currently building a traditional concrete/gunite inground pool. My understanding is that our clay soil type isn't conducive to fiberglass shell pools, which is why you don't see too many. I think this partially explains why people tend view them as "lower quality" (perception, not that this is reality).
If you wanted to post photos of construction I would love to see.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
If you wanted to post photos of construction I would love to see.
It's a slow-moving dirt hole right now. The builders are overwhelmed with demand (great for them, not so great if you are trying to get a deal or get a pool quickly!). And yes, that's our waste sewer line running through the center. If it is in the way, they actually gunite around it, and then a plumber trenches around the pool for the new line before decking...something about not wanting to disturb the surrounding soil before gunite.
Attached Thumbnails
FIberglass inground pool-img_0515.jpg  

Old 11-18-2020, 11:18 AM

I was honestly hoping the rest of your yard would be a huge mess, so I would be put off of the idea! But it looks great. Fits in there nicely.

Old 11-18-2020, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I was honestly hoping the rest of your yard would be a huge mess, so I would be put off of the idea! But it looks great. Fits in there nicely.
The guys did they best they could give how tight access is (they used the smallest bobcat available). Of course the sprinkler and yard drains are toast, but we knew that going in. Everyone says it's a very messy process, which is exacerbated by the wait time between phases (it will look like this until gunite, easily a month away).
Attached Thumbnails
FIberglass inground pool-img_0472.jpg  

Old 11-19-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
The guys did they best they could give how tight access is (they used the smallest bobcat available). Of course the sprinkler and yard drains are toast, but we knew that going in. Everyone says it's a very messy process, which is exacerbated by the wait time between phases (it will look like this until gunite, easily a month away).
It will be worth it in the end, though.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:18 AM

694 posts, read 835,567 times
We built a pool a few years ago, and noticed that many of the more senior and most skilled of workers took off for the holidays, and many went back to Mexico. The quality of the people who did show up between Thanksgiving and Christmas was noticeably lower... be careful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston