Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 03:02 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
The heights is inside the loop on the northside and obviously it’s not ghetto. I guess you mean everything east of 45?
I’m referring to Northside Village & Northside-Northline, the area between the Hardy Toll Rd. & 45.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2020, 06:46 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,451,251 times
OP, you might want to consider The Heights over The Woodlands if you are uncomfortable being LGBT in the edge of the Bible Belt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Not generalizing but from my experiences The Woodlands has a good amount of affluent White Mexicans from Mexico City who are just as snobbish discriminatory as their White counterparts. It's definitely a level of smug from some of them as well. There's also a good amount of Mexican conservatives here in The Woodlands as well. Now again I guess attitudes changed when Trump got into office. TW is definitely MAGA territory but before Trump got elected plenty affluent Mexican Americans had no problem socializing with those bigots. Guess they got their wake up call. *shrugs*
White people get their knickers in bunches when they are confronted with the Spanish language (or a heavy accent in English). Being a second-generation immigrant, monolingual English-speaker patriotism has come into vogue these days. (That American trait was inherited from the French during the infancy of the U.S.)

As we saw in a Hempstead school several years ago, the descendants of the Anglo settlers still fear reconquista by bilingual people of Mexican descent. Apparently these people are the descendants of Anglo settlers from the SE states after Texas statehood, since they never appreciated the official de facto bilingualism of Texas culture.

Quote:
Yes TW has more "classy" conservatives. There is a significant amount of roughneck loud and proud MAGA types in TW as well.
Karens are more classy?

Quote:
TW has some nice amenities though like Market Square/ Waterway/ Hughes Landing. Real nice area. But outside of that it's a pretty bland suburb imo. Full of food chains and typical suburban shopping chains. The Woodlands is a growing burb though attracting transplants from all kinds of backgrounds.
TW only has that many nice stores that are only found in Central Houston because of the demographics and the isolation from the existing Central Houston location. The mall is full of sole second locations of Galleria stores due to the distance--for example Nordstrom, Sony, and Microsoft. Other suburbs with similar demographics are close to The Galleria.

Old 11-25-2020, 06:51 AM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
OP, you might want to consider The Heights over The Woodlands if you are uncomfortable being LGBT in the edge of the Bible Belt.

White people get their knickers in bunches when they are confronted with the Spanish language (or a heavy accent in English). Being a second-generation immigrant, monolingual English-speaker patriotism has come into vogue these days. (That American trait was inherited from the French during the infancy of the U.S.)

As we saw in a Hempstead school several years ago, the descendants of the Anglo settlers still fear reconquista by bilingual people of Mexican descent. Apparently these people are the descendants of Anglo settlers from the SE states after Texas statehood, since they never appreciated the official de facto bilingualism of Texas culture.

Karens are more classy?

TW only has that many nice stores that are only found in Central Houston because of the demographics and the isolation from the existing Central Houston location. The mall is full of sole second locations of Galleria stores due to the distance--for example Nordstrom, Sony, and Microsoft. Other suburbs with similar demographics are close to The Galleria.
LOL, nah Karen's aren't classy at all but the difference in let's say The Woodlands and a small town like Hallsville in East Texas is class. I'm from Northeast Texas so there's a superficial difference. I also think on average those types in The Woodlands are a little less blunt in their approach in comparison to what you might run into in a rural area of Texas. Like I stated before, I've never experienced blatant racism but every now and then you get these subtle gestures like "your kind is not welcomed here". But not outright obvious. But again I don't really go out my way to socialize with the township.

Yeah people in TW love the amenities that The Woodlands has to offer. Outside of the outdoorsy amenities (which I will miss when I move up out of here) it's really blah to me. Definitely the premier shopping center for North Houston and it's surrounding cities and towns. Nothing like it anywhere north of 610. Still I actually prefer Katy's amenities to TW. They tend to have more "hip" restarurants that you'll find in the loop.

Old 05-14-2021, 12:24 PM

13 posts, read 11,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbc2htx View Post
Avoid spring at all costs- terrible schools and lots of property crime (same with Atascosita). The further you go north from Houston the more woodsy it gets, but also the more conservative it gets. Texas has a huge Hispanic population everywhere so being in a “Hispanic” community isnt really that big of a deal if you ask me. Neighborhoods closer to Houston proper will be more diverse in terms of LGBT community, but are way more expensive. If you’re okay with a small two or three bedroom then Garden Oaks/Oak Forest, Timbergrove, or the Heights is where you’ll want to be in town for a relatively easy commute to Spring. Otherwise, stick to The Woodlands.
I'm sure the OP has already settled somewhere, looks like they were looking at different cities. I actually grew up in Spring ISD and had no problems with school, went to UT and graduated. They have 2 high school academies that are great if you're looking for a diverse student/resident pool. It's definitely a nice area for any type of family. Most people are nice and mind their business here. No property crime issues or burglaries growing up. Not sure why people tend to bash this area, as not everyone wants to be in Katy. People forget many of these "highly rated" school districts are extremely competitive.

Old 05-15-2021, 11:51 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
you know tiger eats meat,it can eat 50-75 lbs in a setting,and since it has parted way with its owner for days now,you dont want to come here while he is searching for MEAT

Old 05-17-2021, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,124 times
a lot options
LGBT friendly wise, it's really case by case, but every city has people are not LGBT friendly or just not friendly in general
Katy(Richmond) Cypress Pearland are all known to have great school zones and can very likely has house at your price range
I know it's late but if you are still looking for a house, I would love to be the one helping you
I'm a Realtor and would love to assist you

Old 05-20-2021, 10:54 AM

66 posts, read 78,843 times
Angry Real estate in Houston and Woodlands

Hello can anyone advised me when and where will Houston Flaming Hot Real estate market calm.down enough for a veteran to buy a decent SFH home in a great Public ISD school district? Everything I look at listing there a food deals on older homes in the Woodlands but when I came back from Katy Richmond, Sugarland areas I couldn't get a straight realtor to show me properties under 440-540k in these areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston