Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:32 AM

1,461 posts, read 5,587,472 times

Advertisements

What is everyone's take on this debated subject. Which is better and why? I know this all depends on the persons lifestyle,income, family etc. Just want people's thought on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 11:52 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,801,067 times
We learned the hard way that if you aren't absolutely sure you are going to stay in the same geographic area, it is better to rent. We bought a house in Colorado, fourteen months later my husband decided he wanted to take a job offer in a different state, and it cost us a lot of money to quickly fix up and sell the Colorado house. Now we are having to re-build our savings before coming up with another down payment. We decided to wait until he has been in his job for at least a year and sure he likes it. (Even then, it makes me anxious to buy a house because selling it isn't any fun in this housing market).

Old 05-05-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
We learned the hard way that if you aren't absolutely sure you are going to stay in the same geographic area, it is better to rent. We bought a house in Colorado, fourteen months later my husband decided he wanted to take a job offer in a different state, and it cost us a lot of money to quickly fix up and sell the Colorado house. Now we are having to re-build our savings before coming up with another down payment. We decided to wait until he has been in his job for at least a year and sure he likes it. (Even then, it makes me anxious to buy a house because selling it isn't any fun in this housing market).
I agree it is tougher to sell a home now a days with the way the market is.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:16 PM

299 posts, read 1,014,647 times
Time horizon is the largets determinant in the rent vs. own debate. If you are going to be in one place for a long time, owning tends to make more sense. If you move often, or just like having new places every few years then rent. That being said, there are people I know who could buy, but like having the maintance be someone else's responsibility and would rather just not deal with property taxes and mortgage companies and the like, so they just rent. Not the most financially sound decision, but a quality of life choice they have made.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
Time horizon is the largets determinant in the rent vs. own debate. If you are going to be in one place for a long time, owning tends to make more sense. If you move often, or just like having new places every few years then rent. That being said, there are people I know who could buy, but like having the maintance be someone else's responsibility and would rather just not deal with property taxes and mortgage companies and the like, so they just rent. Not the most financially sound decision, but a quality of life choice they have made.
That sounds like right you are right on the money.

Old 05-06-2008, 10:58 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,107,750 times
Renting comes with BIG issues for me. some are

#1 UPS/FEDEX/USPS deliveries. I buy a lot of stuff on the net, many are in medium to big boxes to hardly packed (like tires) that cant be just left by the door. staying home to receive packages, keeping phone line free and running down to sign, carrying the packages up a few floors, throwing the packaging a block away. Thats if I didnt miss the carrier or package wasnt stolen. I had enough of this

#2 garage. i like working on daily and project cars, keep a lot of parts, like power tools, woodworking, other homer stuff. I did all this in my apartment and it was a mess. overspray everywhere, floor needs refinishing before I left, power tools indoor and outdoor bugged my poor neighbors I built 3 cars and repaired race engines on that parking lot and the street LOL. thats late nights and NE winters too

#3 neighbors separated by drywall material. I'm not a good neighbor, especially when I watch my DVDs. but other folks you rent among with are pretty noisy and inconsiderate after 12pm. people broomstick their ceilings and bang on walls to deliver their messages. you can hear everything. everything.

#4 the fire escape. thats there for theives

#5 someone else has keys to my place

#6 somewhere below me is a smoker/drunk, an accident waiting to happen

#7 I cant wash anything without clogging the sinks/tub or destroying the coating

#8 garbage pick up!

#9 personalization of space. cant beat that. I need color

#10 I want/need to yell sometimes

#11 you can smell other peoples cooking too! some are really gross

Last edited by Wysiwyg; 05-06-2008 at 11:18 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post

#1 UPS/FEDEX/USPS deliveries. I buy a lot of stuff on the net, many are in medium to big boxes to hardly packed (like tires) that cant be just left by the door. staying home to receive packages, keeping phone line free and running down to sign, carrying the packages up a few floors, throwing the packaging a block away. Thats if I didnt miss the carrier or package wasnt stolen. I had enough of this

#2 garage. i like working on daily and project cars, keep a lot of parts, like power tools, woodworking, other homer stuff. I did all this in my apartment and it was a mess. overspray everywhere, floor needs refinishing before I left, power tools indoor and outdoor bugged my poor neighbors I built 3 cars and repaired race engines on that parking lot and the street LOL. thats late nights and NE winters too

#3 neighbors separated by drywall material. I'm not a good neighbor, especially when I watch my DVDs. but other folks you rent among with are pretty noisy and inconsiderate after 12pm. people broomstick their ceilings and bang on walls to deliver their messages. you can hear everything. everything.

#7 I cant wash anything without clogging the sinks/tub or destroying the coating

#8 garbage pick up!

Now thats a great list. #5 is a big one most people tend to not think about.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beto View Post
That sounds like you are right on the money.
Typo sorry

Old 05-07-2008, 07:32 AM

410 posts, read 1,679,487 times
Wy...hope you found a place in the country...for your projects. If not, checkout the storage units you can purchase and run businesses out of. My oldest kid is into system installs... when he gets out of school he's think along that line...Sunny

Quote:

#8 garbage pick up!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:32 AM

128 posts, read 456,614 times
Quote:

#8 garbage pick up!

With the exception of #5 and #9, renting a house would fix all of those points. And I'm sure most land lords wouldn't have a problem with the tenant slapping a different coat of paint on the wall. Assuming it's not hot pink or something. Even then, they'd probably just make you paint it again if you wanted your security deposit back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: