Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:10 PM

8 posts, read 33,121 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'll be on the ground in Houston in a couple of weeks to begin my search for a home.

I'd love to find a SUPERSTAR realtor who specializes in the Missouri City, Pearland, Sienna Plantation, and Sugar Land areas. Someone aggressive, experienced and extremely resourceful.

Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a realtor who hasn't been in touch with me for a month now, has never emailed me listings as i've requested, and doesn't seem to be well informed.

Any advice on where to start would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:31 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
You might try one of two methods. Check the areas you are interested in and review the agent's personal websites. If they don't have one up, or haven't bothered to post their picture, well, it sort of tells you something. If it is someone with a good web site and a lot of listings, then chances are they are more successful and experienced.

You might google around and see if you can get the rankings the Houston Business Journal does on Agents. See if you can find out who the top producers are and pick one of them.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM

Thanks Modster, that's a great start...it's a little overwhelming as it's my first home purchase.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:01 AM

175 posts, read 938,973 times
Default HAR website

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romie View Post
Hi everyone,

I'll be on the ground in Houston in a couple of weeks to begin my search for a home.

I'd love to find a SUPERSTAR realtor who specializes in the Missouri City, Pearland, Sienna Plantation, and Sugar Land areas. Someone aggressive, experienced and extremely resourceful.

Unfortunately, I've been dealing with a realtor who hasn't been in touch with me for a month now, has never emailed me listings as i've requested, and doesn't seem to be well informed.

Romie,
Have you found the HAR.com website? You can type in the areas you are interested in, and pull up some homes up to preview.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:42 AM

410 posts, read 1,681,877 times

Kapp....had good advise, log onto har.com and look through the active listing to find a local in your areas of interest. Follow-up with reading their bio and a phone call.

Forget the mega agent .... unless you mave the mega bucks you will be assigned a buyers assistant/agent. Often they are new to the business or were not able to cut it on their own. Look for a moderate with a well rounded business, who lives in the area your looking....very important!

Agents don't return calls for two reasons....1) lazy.. or... 2) the majority of time....they don't think the person on the other end of the call is creditable. We get a lot of "junk" calls... dreamers & time burners. When you're talking to an agent, realize they are interviewing you also... be clear about timeframes and finances.

Anyway, hope my two cents has helped...happy hunting...Sunny

Old 05-06-2008, 11:01 AM

Thanks for your advice.

What you're saying makes lots of sense...I certainly don't want to be just another number/client with a mega agent...i get it.

I'll start my research!!!

Thanks
Romie

Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
Great response Sunny! You are right on target!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:55 PM

40 posts, read 203,046 times
Amen, Sunny! I got the buyer's assistant/agent when I purchased my home. She tried to steer me towards a home that belonged to a friend of one of the agents. After I got it inspected, there was no way I'd buy it. I found what I wanted online, in the same town, and wish she'd not gotten a cent of commission. Despite "Dear Friend" living in that town, they had no concierge list and I ended up telling them how things were done there!

Try to avoid the "exclusive representative" contract some Realtors want one to sign too. I found my house online, on my own.

The seller's Realtor was much more helpful than my own. This man was even willing to call the school when I was having trouble getting my child enrolled! He gave me directions to everywhere I needed to pay deposits too. He was so impressive that my mother is going to talk to him when it's time for her to move, even if he only gives her a recommendation, as she wants to move a couple towns north. Most good people know other good people. Good luck.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:33 AM

Thanks Mariposa...

I appreciate you sharing your experience. I'll take heed to that!

Romie

Old 05-08-2008, 09:49 AM

799 posts, read 3,692,574 times
The sellers realtor is loyal to the seller, while you may want to use him in the future, it is best to get your own realtor to represent you in the negotiations.
He has great incentive to help you as he wants to get his listing sold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston