Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2020, 09:05 AM

10,088 posts, read 6,777,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

The next area north, across US 59 / I-69 (you'll learn why it has a dual name), is Midtown. It is more mixed-use. In the last 20 years, it has gone from fairly scruffy (still is in a couple spots but that continues to recede)
As RID/the ION is nearing opening, they’ve cracked down on the homeless population here like crazy. Even on the other side of 59 at the 7-Eleven that seemed to be a hot spot for homeless, they’ve seem to crack down on them there. Midtown is almost completely receded. Makes you wonder where they went now. The area near greyhound still has their share though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2020, 09:24 AM

5,850 posts, read 6,237,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Yeah, the commute isn't so much the issue as the parking.
Who wouldn't want to park in the Brown lot and take one of those giant busses in?

I worked at TCH at the Clinical Care Center (now Feigen) and somehow managed to get parking in Garage 2 immediately. I thought I was living large. My husband was in Med School and gave up on the Brown lot and started riding his motorcycle and parked pretty much wherever he wanted.

Old 12-22-2020, 09:53 AM

44 posts, read 122,125 times
I would keep a car but would prefer to take the rail everyone mentions to TMC if that's an option over nightmarish parking.

My Quality of Life factors heavily on not stressing over traffic and parking. I don't necessarily need to live in the hip area (Montrose) over living somewhere that is convenient to work.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:28 AM
bu2

24,175 posts, read 15,032,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elranzer View Post
Thanks for the responses.

Things like info about the rail line I had no idea about. I am very public transit-friendly and would consider that.
If you are within about 3 miles of the TMC, the bus is a viable option to avoid the parking fees. Won't be as fast as driving, but won't be that big a delay. Depending on where you work, you might have to park in one of the remote lots anyway and take the train or bus into the center of the medical center.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:29 AM

It's actually the MD Anderson Medical Research Center, if that makes a difference.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:32 AM
bu2

24,175 posts, read 15,032,389 times
Quote:
It's actually the MD Anderson Medical Research Center, if that makes a difference.
Their main building is in the center of campus. They also have some buildings south, closer to Reliant Stadium. In those southern buildings, parking is convenient.

Think of Texas Medical Center as a downtown area with regards to parking. There are various lots at varying distances. But your institution decides the priority in getting into one of the closer garages. Most of the parking is controlled by the Texas Medical Center itself, something akin to a city government. The rest is controlled by the institutions themselves.

Old 12-22-2020, 10:52 AM

The exact building I would be working in, seems to be bordered by two parking garages (Garage 17 and Braeswood Garage, on Google Maps).

I guess a major factor would be if new employees are allowed parking permits or if there's some kind of multi-year waiting list, like another major medical center I used to work for.

If there's a waiting list for employee parking, I may opt to live convenient to the bus or rail line.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:02 PM

10,088 posts, read 6,777,432 times
Quote:
The exact building I would be working in, seems to be bordered by two parking garages (Garage 17 and Braeswood Garage, on Google Maps).

I guess a major factor would be if new employees are allowed parking permits or if there's some kind of multi-year waiting list, like another major medical center I used to work for.

If there's a waiting list for employee parking, I may opt to live convenient to the bus or rail line.
You may also look into Midtown Houston. Very nice area (most of it) and lots of good food and nightlife. Just a few stops on the light rail.

Old 12-22-2020, 12:02 PM

5,850 posts, read 6,237,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Their main building is in the center of campus. They also have some buildings south, closer to Reliant Stadium. In those southern buildings, parking is convenient.

Think of Texas Medical Center as a downtown area with regards to parking. There are various lots at varying distances. But your institution decides the priority in getting into one of the closer garages. Most of the parking is controlled by the Texas Medical Center itself, something akin to a city government. The rest is controlled by the institutions themselves.
I agree with this, and to further clarify for the OP, the "Texas Medical Center" is part an umbrella organization similar to a Co Op, under which all the member institutions fall, and part its own organization with its own organizational structure and functions, one of which is controlling the parking garages, like bu2 mentions above. They also control the Medical Center library and do a lot of other functions, most of which generally seem to go on in the background. They used to have their own police and handle the centralized laundry as well. I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

Of course, if you were already familiar with this, OP, my apologies for offering redundant information.

Old 12-22-2020, 01:09 PM

5,654 posts, read 5,013,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
If you are within about 3 miles of the TMC, the bus is a viable option to avoid the parking fees. Won't be as fast as driving, but won't be that big a delay. Depending on where you work, you might have to park in one of the remote lots anyway and take the train or bus into the center of the medical center.
Agreed, the Bellaire bus lines are excellent - frequent and run day/night/weekends. And the Holcombe / Bellaire corridor is certainly a nice area to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston