Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 10:01 AM

62 posts, read 63,256 times

Advertisements

Just wild to me since fiscally it makes no sense and the tax rates are quite a bit higher in the new MPCs as well.

What are you getting in an MPC that you aren't in Green Trails? A community pool? A walking trail?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 02:28 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,941,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
Just wild to me since fiscally it makes no sense and the tax rates are quite a bit higher in the new MPCs as well.

What are you getting in an MPC that you aren't in Green Trails? A community pool? A walking trail?
Yes, many MPCs have more extensive walking trails and recreational facilities. Developers were realizing by the late 1990s that amenities were an important differentiator. By the 2000s, walking trails became rated the #1 amenity in MPCs and I believe have remained so ever since. Some MPCs have whole social programs associated with their recreational facilities now.

However, if you're not someone who needs these things, then nothing wrong with declining to pay the extra home price premium and higher HOA fees of the highly-amenitized MPCs. Green Trails is perfectly nice, and a better commute into Houston than Cinco or most other Katy developments.

Old 01-18-2021, 10:59 PM

569 posts, read 1,078,866 times
Quote:

Both Green Trails and Green Trails Estates have community pools, trails, rec center and community activities. They just don’t have a gym and a restaurant like some new communities. It developed starting just east of Fry Rd/Greenfield Chase Dr and development moved north and east all the way to close to Barker-Cypress and I-10 for the newest builds around 1999. Homes from Trendmaker, David Weekley and Newmark. The Estates community and Green Trails Village south of Greenfield Trace were build on average in the mid (Estate) to late (Village) 80’s to early 90’s. Green Trails and Green Trails Park were mostly build throughout the 1990’s. To address one post regarding flooding, Harvey flooding only affected some homes in the southernmost section (south of Ivory Mills Ln). Beautiful neighborhood. They also have a gated community of custom homes called Green Trails Forest (1990’s). Beautifully mature oak trees throughout. Unincorporated Harris County Precinct 5. Houston zip code 77094. Lots larger than 10k-15k can be found here.

Plenty of information below.
Green Trails
Green Trails Estates

Nottingham Country is on average a lot older (1970’s-1980’s mostly, rare 1990’s build in southernmost section near Highland Knolls) by 10-20 years depending on location in community. They are the next best commuting location in South Katy. Nottingham Country only has a community center with a pool and cost to use the pool is extra. Many of the homes there already have a pool. Many tend to sit on smaller lots than Green Trails. Styles of homes are quite varied as these homes were originally custom homes. The southernmost sections I believe have a separate HOA along with some Kelliwood estate homes (Kelliwood Nottingham Country). Lower HOA dues overall since they have less/optional amenities.

Last edited by HTownNearNative; 01-18-2021 at 11:11 PM..

Old 01-19-2021, 01:53 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,793,278 times
Quote:

I agree 100% - Green Trails represents incredible value in terms of house quality, school rankings, beautiful lots with mature trees, and a relatively convenient commute, especially to the Energy Corridor area. It boggles the mind that so many folks would pay a premium to put up with a much longer commute to the south or western edges of Katy.

As was mentioned before, flooding isn't much of an issue in Green Trails. A few homes near the reservoir took on some water during Harvey, but most stayed high and dry. The widespread flooding occurred further south and was mostly concentrated south of Westheimer Parkway.

My guesses as to why Green Trails doesn't command more of a premium include:

-Traffic on Fry just south of I-10 can get really jammed up, even on weekends. Too many lights too close together. Still, there are other north/south routes to I-10.
-Most of the homes are getting to the age where lots of work is needed, and given that many are 4000 sq ft+, renovations are not cheap.

Old 01-21-2021, 12:32 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
I agree 100% - Green Trails represents incredible value in terms of house quality, school rankings, beautiful lots with mature trees, and a relatively convenient commute, especially to the Energy Corridor area. It boggles the mind that so many folks would pay a premium to put up with a much longer commute to the south or western edges of Katy.
The reservoir blocks any alternative routes to I-10, so your only choice is the freeway. Until Barker-Cypress (or Greenhouse) is connected to Westheimer Parkway, you're still beholden to the freeway for access.

A severe accident near Greenhouse a couple months ago created a severe traffic snarl that backed up the inland direction to Westgreen. Luckily I was able to exit and use Westgreen to Westheimer Parkway to go to my destination.

Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 AM

Thanks all, appreciate the input.

Wife, as it usually goes, loves the new builds with tall ceilings, but I keep pushing her to think about in a few years when traffic is back to a level normalcy. Even two days a week in the office at a 45+min commute would drive me nuts. Can change the house (to some extent), but can't change the location (or the MUD taxes...).

As my wife and I looked at a lot of new builds, I find it ironic that builders tout that people are coming to these places to 'get more space' when the homes are built right on top of one another with a wooden fence erected ten feet outside the patio door.

Old 01-23-2021, 10:16 AM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,054 times
Quote:
My wife and I are looking to buy a home in the next year or two ...

In-laws live near Willowbrook Mall so I/we would like to stay >30 minutes from there.
This gave me a giggle, but perhaps you mean <30 minutes.

Old 02-01-2021, 10:06 AM

63 posts, read 122,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
My friends and colleagues who live in MC would disagree with you. They all love it.
Good for them. For sane, rational people, it's a mistake.

Old 02-01-2021, 12:06 PM

313 posts, read 282,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golondrina62 View Post
Good for them. For sane, rational people, it's a mistake.
Judgy much? Or however the meme/phrase goes. We get it you don’t like it. Others do.

Old 03-06-2021, 09:04 AM

To close the loop on this thread, we're closing on a home in Kelliwood/Nottingham Country/Green Trails!

The homes have a bit more charm, room, and opportunity to grow into than what we could find elsewhere for same price. The location and tax rate also can't be beat.

I wonder the sustainability of new home prices in the outer suburbs, especially with mortgage rates set to rise and the world trending towards more of a sense of normalcy. I suspect some folks may regret their commutes 5+ years down the road, but we shall see. Thanks all again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston