Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-06-2021, 05:01 PM
 
Location: Houston, TX
363 posts, read 1,355,043 times
Reputation: 166

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
To close the loop on this thread, we're closing on a home in Kelliwood/Nottingham Country/Green Trails!
Congrats! I looked at several in that area too. I love the trees and the diversity of houses from Victorian porch charmers to the brick mega-mansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-06-2021, 05:27 PM
ptt
 
497 posts, read 632,229 times
Reputation: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
To close the loop on this thread, we're closing on a home in Kelliwood/Nottingham Country/Green Trails!

The homes have a bit more charm, room, and opportunity to grow into than what we could find elsewhere for same price. The location and tax rate also can't be beat.

I wonder the sustainability of new home prices in the outer suburbs, especially with mortgage rates set to rise and the world trending towards more of a sense of normalcy. I suspect some folks may regret their commutes 5+ years down the road, but we shall see. Thanks all again
Welcome to the neighborhood!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2021, 05:28 PM
 
310 posts, read 276,958 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
To close the loop on this thread, we're closing on a home in Kelliwood/Nottingham Country/Green Trails!

The homes have a bit more charm, room, and opportunity to grow into than what we could find elsewhere for same price. The location and tax rate also can't be beat.

I wonder the sustainability of new home prices in the outer suburbs, especially with mortgage rates set to rise and the world trending towards more of a sense of normalcy. I suspect some folks may regret their commutes 5+ years down the road, but we shall see. Thanks all again
What makes you think people will regret living in the suburbs? More people will be WFH from this point on so the commute issue won’t be a daily thing. That opens up alternative areas that perhaps they wouldn’t have considered before. I know many people on this forum think the suburbs are where your soul goes to die but it’s not 1995 anymore and things have changed. The suburbs of today are like their own little cities and offer better infrastructure and amenities with newer homes, great schools, less density and slower traffic- lots of people find that appealing. For those that can’t afford West U and don’t want Westbury then Cinco Ranch or Sugarland can be a contender now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2021, 06:15 PM
 
62 posts, read 61,247 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
What makes you think people will regret living in the suburbs? More people will be WFH from this point on so the commute issue won’t be a daily thing. That opens up alternative areas that perhaps they wouldn’t have considered before. I know many people on this forum think the suburbs are where your soul goes to die but it’s not 1995 anymore and things have changed. The suburbs of today are like their own little cities and offer better infrastructure and amenities with newer homes, great schools, less density and slower traffic- lots of people find that appealing. For those that can’t afford West U and don’t want Westbury then Cinco Ranch or Sugarland can be a contender now.

I never said people will regret living in the suburbs. That'd be especially ironic considering I'm moving to the suburbs...

I inferred that people may believe they can WFH for 5 days a week post-Covid and are not factoring in a potential commute in these outer suburbs. I would bet a dollar that 100% WFH will not become a thing for a majority of companies and instead there'll be a hybrid approach.

If you live in Fulshear and your company is based out of downtown, that's an hour drive minimum each way. Even making that commute twice a week could be physically draining on those unfamiliar with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 PM
 
310 posts, read 276,958 times
Reputation: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
To close the loop on this thread, we're closing on a home in Kelliwood/Nottingham Country/Green Trails!

The homes have a bit more charm, room, and opportunity to grow into than what we could find elsewhere for same price. The location and tax rate also can't be beat.

I wonder the sustainability of new home prices in the outer suburbs, especially with mortgage rates set to rise and the world trending towards more of a sense of normalcy. I suspect some folks may regret their commutes 5+ years down the road, but we shall see. Thanks all again
What will folks regret about the commutes 5+ years down the road?

People drove from Fulshear into downtown on a daily basis pre-COVID. My suburb friends accepted the commute before the pandemic. A hybrid approach will be welcomed and appreciated if it becomes available. Even if the jobs do return to the office full-time they still don’t want to move back to Westbury.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2021, 10:04 PM
 
62 posts, read 61,247 times
Reputation: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
What will folks regret about the commutes 5+ years down the road?

People drove from Fulshear into downtown on a daily basis pre-COVID. My suburb friends accepted the commute before the pandemic. A hybrid approach will be welcomed and appreciated if it becomes available. Even if the jobs do return to the office full-time they still don’t want to move back to Westbury.

Sure, some people drove from the Woodlands to the Energy Corridor and sat in an hour and half of traffic each way. That doesn't mean every person has that tolerance. And obviously if you were doing it pre-pandemic and fine with it, then you're likely fine with it moving forward.

I also never said every person moving to the suburbs right now from the inner loop will regret it. I'm sure a few will regret it, though likely many won't. All I stated was that I suspect a few people may be disappointed in their commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2021, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Fulshear
1,326 posts, read 3,433,766 times
Reputation: 1184
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
What will folks regret about the commutes 5+ years down the road?

People drove from Fulshear into downtown on a daily basis pre-COVID. My suburb friends accepted the commute before the pandemic. A hybrid approach will be welcomed and appreciated if it becomes available. Even if the jobs do return to the office full-time they still don’t want to move back to Westbury.
Exactly.
I live very close to Fulshear now and will be moving into a new construction home there in Cross Creek Ranch in a couple of months.
My family and I prefer new construction over an old/older home. That's our preference.
For almost 2 years my job required me to commute downtown. It's doable. You do need to have a flexible schedule though. I used to leave the house around 5:30am and leave the office around 3pm.
Thankfully with WFH, I haven't had to work in an office for a year now. I'm confident WFH will become much more common moving forward even when things return to "normal".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2021, 05:35 PM
 
Location: 77380
63 posts, read 121,905 times
Reputation: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
Judgy much? Or however the meme/phrase goes. We get it you don’t like it. Others do.
Bless your hearts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2021, 06:05 PM
 
10,864 posts, read 6,327,398 times
Reputation: 7956
inlaw live nearby Willowbrook Mall,wife works on HIGHWAY 8 and Westheimer,so how is her daily commute?
I am at 1093 and 1464,closer to Houston than Cinco Ranch,its houses are more expensive and the area is more developed than ours,nice area but your wife will have a long commute .
No one walks around the neighborhood anymore,unless they are going to their mail box,if you want a cosy neighborhood,then find an old house in an old neighborhood,houses are older and prone to flooding and taxes are higher too,not sure they are safer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2021, 07:04 PM
 
15,129 posts, read 7,152,728 times
Reputation: 18982
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
inlaw live nearby Willowbrook Mall,wife works on HIGHWAY 8 and Westheimer,so how is her daily commute?
I am at 1093 and 1464,closer to Houston than Cinco Ranch,its houses are more expensive and the area is more developed than ours,nice area but your wife will have a long commute .
No one walks around the neighborhood anymore,unless they are going to their mail box,if you want a cosy neighborhood,then find an old house in an old neighborhood,houses are older and prone to flooding and taxes are higher too,not sure they are safer
Taxes depend on where the house is. Any house that's in HISD will have lower taxes than just about any other part of the Greater Houston area, as HISD taxes are the lowest of all school districts.

The newer master planned communities have very high tax rates, often over 3%, plus very high HOA fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top