Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 11:56 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've seen this assertion numerous times, that Houston has a big weakness in that its suburbs are more crime ridden than other cities. I want to see actual data before I believe this kind of damning statement. I just can't believe that Houston's suburbs are any less safe than any other metro's.
Look at the crime statistics for the metro area via the FBI. The unincorporated nature of Houston's suburbs is what does it in - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6

No secret the Harris County sheriffs and constables are stretched thin versus DFW which has more local policing and control from the various incorporated cities. DFW's crime seems to be more concentrated versus Houston's too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 12:21 AM

2,179 posts, read 3,179,522 times
Dallas' advantages is its outer cities are more organized and aggressive minded while Houston once you get out of Sugar Land, Missouri City, etc. it's a cluster.

Look at Cypress - slivers of it are in Houston and its one way and the other areas outside the limits its no-man's land. No uniformity whatsoever. If Cypress was a city it would resemble more uniformity. As of now, the power is in the developer's hands as most of the areas piggyback off the major development.

Same story in Spring, Katy and part of Humble, etc.

What's similar is Cedar Hill/Duncanville/Desoto is more of a Missouri City/Pearland in terms of proximity to historical areas of Dallas/Houston still progressive to have an identity. Even somewhere like Lancaster, which is a country burb to Dallas, has something to offer.

Sugar Land/Woodlands/certain parts of Cypress (Bridgelands), Cinco Ranch area reminds me of a Colin County area.

How the 288 area develops will be the sign as the little towns of Manvel and Iowa Colony have had a head start in preparing for the boom. They can create a I-75 type corridor in terms of constant development. After Town Center in Pearland, Manvel's Town Center should be just as good or hopefully better. Iowa Colony/Rosharon area could do the same.

Angleton is already established so they'll have to adjust some things and then the Lake Jackson area is pretty much built out somewhat but you could have solid growth and a nice look for nearly 40 miles.

Houston has dropped the ball as once you get past Greenspoint, its all over the place until you get to the Grand Parkway/Woodlands area. Conroe and Willis have done better in ensuring some continuity.

Old 01-05-2021, 12:23 AM

9,732 posts, read 6,355,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
I've seen this assertion numerous times, that Houston has a big weakness in that its suburbs are more crime ridden than other cities. I want to see actual data before I believe this kind of damning statement. I just can't believe that Houston's suburbs are any less safe than any other metro's.
Oak Cliff

Old 01-05-2021, 07:21 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,551,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Look at the crime statistics for the metro area via the FBI. The unincorporated nature of Houston's suburbs is what does it in - https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s...tables/table-6

No secret the Harris County sheriffs and constables are stretched thin versus DFW which has more local policing and control from the various incorporated cities. DFW's crime seems to be more concentrated versus Houston's too.
Looking at the FBI data Dallas-Ft.Worth MSA crime is still not ideal. Even DFW burbs looks to have more crime than Houston burbs that are listed on the FBI site. DFW is safer but not by much as some DFW boosters would like to portray. Even Plano had 9 homicides in 2018.

Old 01-05-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Looking at the FBI data Dallas-Ft.Worth MSA crime is still not ideal. Even DFW burbs looks to have more crime than Houston burbs that are listed on the FBI site. DFW is safer but not by much as some DFW boosters would like to portray. Even Plano had 9 homicides in 2018.
I wonder why DFW boosters are afraid of crime. As if Texas as a whole isn’t doing pretty bad. Anyway, on this’d topic, DFW has some nice suburbs. Best suburbs in Texas as a whole. But it’s not this utopia they portray it as. To me, the woodlands is the “nicest” suburb in Texas. By nicest I mean upscale and a utopia wannabe. I much prefer Katy

Old 01-05-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:

You’re comparing one county to an entire metro area? There’s your problem

Old 01-05-2021, 10:03 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,926,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Right and this goes for most southern metros. But DFW is still slightly safer than Houston overall, and most of the higher crime is concentrated in either South/West Dallas or SE Fort Worth. Some of the suburbs are getting slightly rough like Arlington and northern GP but they don't compare to a say Country Club-Alief area. There isn't really a side in the Houston metro that's entirely relatively safe like there is in DFW once you head north of 635. Yeah you can still get jacked but won't be as likely. Go outside Beltway 8 in Houston and you still have some pretty high crime areas near nicer neighborhoods/hotels.

Old 01-05-2021, 10:47 AM

4,362 posts, read 4,551,591 times
Quote:
Right and this goes for most southern metros. But DFW is still slightly safer than Houston overall, and most of the higher crime is concentrated in either South/West Dallas or SE Fort Worth. Some of the suburbs are getting slightly rough like Arlington and northern GP but they don't compare to a say Country Club-Alief area. There isn't really a side in the Houston metro that's entirely relatively safe like there is in DFW once you head north of 635. Yeah you can still get jacked but won't be as likely. Go outside Beltway 8 in Houston and you still have some pretty high crime areas near nicer neighborhoods/hotels.
I remember Arlington having rough areas back in the late 90s- 00's. It's had a reputation for the longest so I don't know about it slightly becoming rough. As far as Alief...look a big chunk of Alief is in Houston and the other half is unincorporated Houston. We get Houston's lack of uniformity and unincorporated area does create more random pockets of crime in comparison to DFW layout. But those areas are easily avoidable. My point being is that crime in both metros are not that far apart from each other like some of our neighbors to the north want everyone to believe. I think if you live in that concentration of North Dallas burbs it gives you that sense of illusion but other areas of DFW have just as many problems as Houston's rough areas and should be acknowledge. First time someone broke into my car was back in the early 00's in Deep Ellum. And almost became a victim of crime in N.Dallas(Valley View Mall days) back when I use to visit DFW every other weekend from 02-08.

Old 01-05-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Also, another thing. These so called utopia neighborhoods don’t last forever. It’s a cycle. As great as Plano, Irving, Woodlands, Stafford, etc are today, they eventually come back down to earth once the populations age. The few exceptions are the affluent neighborhoods that are built with old money. Aka river Oaks ands Highland Park

Old 01-05-2021, 12:25 PM

8,196 posts, read 5,317,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Also, another thing. These so called utopia neighborhoods don’t last forever. It’s a cycle. As great as Plano, Irving, Woodlands, Stafford, etc are today, they eventually come back down to earth once the populations age. The few exceptions are the affluent neighborhoods that are built with old money. Aka river Oaks ands Highland Park
Dont know that we could compare Irving and Stafford with Plano and the Woodlands...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston