Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2021, 01:07 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,176,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Nucer areas of Spring branch costs way more than 500k. At most ypu can get a old 3 bed at that price. You could look in that square between i10 hwy6 briar forest and eldridge. For 400k you can get decent hpuses zonedto bush elementary. And close to terry hershey park. Its an all white and safe area .
Not that is should matter but Bush Elementary is not "all white". There are more Asians than whites in the school if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 01:58 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,038,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Not that is should matter but Bush Elementary is not "all white". There are more Asians than whites in the school if I remember correctly.
That is from the apartments around the briar fprest road. In terms if single family homes, the area is fully white.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:48 PM

313 posts, read 282,483 times
Those are two totally different neighborhood vibes. Our good friends moved from GOOF to Cinco and love it. Their neighbors and kids’ schools (top-rated, high performing!!!) are diverse. They can walk/bike to school and the park. The amenities are plentiful and comprehensive. They said after living ITL in a shoebox and working in the Energy Corridor that their Katy neighborhood almost feels like a resort. Things are newer, quieter, slower and more spread out. Of course we’ve got friends who practically live behind CityCenter and they love it equally as well. Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe. I will add that even as a native Houstonian (inner-looper) the draw to be “close to the city” and a restaurant/shopping scene wanes the older I get. Especially with Uber and online shopping. And Covid.

Old 01-06-2021, 04:16 PM

5,615 posts, read 4,947,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
That is from the apartments around the briar fprest road. In terms if single family homes, the area is fully white.
Umm...no. I live in this area. There are lots of East Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin / Hispanic households in the single family areas. My next door neighbors are Chinese on one side and a mixed Black / Hispanic family on the other. The next house is mixed British / Hispanic, the next one Colombian, and so on.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:02 PM

1,483 posts, read 1,727,021 times
I would recommend looking into Spring Shadows, in Spring Branch. That's a really nice area and for 500k can get you a very nice house there.

Old 01-06-2021, 05:06 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
Those are two totally different neighborhood vibes. Our good friends moved from GOOF to Cinco and love it. Their neighbors and kids’ schools (top-rated, high performing!!!) are diverse. They can walk/bike to school and the park. The amenities are plentiful and comprehensive. They said after living ITL in a shoebox and working in the Energy Corridor that their Katy neighborhood almost feels like a resort. Things are newer, quieter, slower and more spread out. Of course we’ve got friends who practically live behind CityCenter and they love it equally as well. Poe-tay-toe, poe-tah-toe. I will add that even as a native Houstonian (inner-looper) the draw to be “close to the city” and a restaurant/shopping scene wanes the older I get. Especially with Uber and online shopping. And Covid.
This! I would analyze the offerings in Spring Branch-homes on their price vs square feet vs features etc. and compare. For the price, it seems that even some Spring Branch remodels asking $400k+ may sometimes not even have certain modern conveniences like for example - double sinks in a primary (aka master) bedroom, but if that’s not important, more options for you.

Another poster mentioned Old Katy. This is not Cinco. This is in City of Katy proper. City of Katy has more of a small town feel. Woodcreek Reserve (South of I-10 & FM 1463) is within the City of Katy city limits and receives the benefits of being in an incorporated city- City of Katy’s fire and police protection unlike the rest of the Katy “area” (which includes Cinco Ranch MPC). It has homes in your price range (built in the 2000s) with top elementary and middle school within the community and top high school not too far away. Cinco Ranch is an MPC in the Katy “area”, not in an incorporated city. However, it is a very large MPC and maintains certain standards-organized/“polished” look.

Old 01-06-2021, 06:03 PM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,658 times
Greentrails 77094 schools are great, trees, trails and within your budget.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:01 PM

569 posts, read 1,079,349 times
Other features you are more likely to find in the ‘burbs or newer builds/remodels is primary bedroom with en-suite bathroom downstairs -in 2-story homes. Just ann example in case that’s important to you.

MPCs are known for high HOA (homeowner association fees). That is the price paid tor maintaining amenities and having some kind of “zoning” in the community. Not everyone likes them and it is a drain in the wallet. But some of us live with it as a necessary evil of living in an unincorporated area/or city without zoning. Cinco is known for prohibiting cars parked on the street. It makes for a nice look to the area vs. some neighborhoods close by. It has sidewalks and most of the time cars do not block these so it makes for a good environment for walking.

The Spring Branch West neighborhoods and other Houston neighborhoods have HOA that cost a fraction of that of the MPCs and some are “optional” to pay. That means thousands saved annually and also means homeowners have more freedom to park their cars on their front lawn if they want ;-) lol. You will want to explore the neighborhoods you are considering by driving there at different days/times as each area is unique.

Last edited by HTownNearNative; 01-06-2021 at 07:13 PM..

Old 01-06-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Umm...no. I live in this area. There are lots of East Asian, South Asian, Middle Eastern, and Latin / Hispanic households in the single family areas. My next door neighbors are Chinese on one side and a mixed Black / Hispanic family on the other. The next house is mixed British / Hispanic, the next one Colombian, and so on.
Thank you for details. I was under a different impression because i last was near that area over 8 years or so.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephCM View Post
I've been creeping on this forum for few hours and love the input everyone has! Would love input on our situation.

My husband works right and I10 and Highway 6, and I work remotely. We are looking to move closer next year since we only have one commute to deal with. Our price range is 400-500k, we want a yard (i.e., no townhome), and we have a young child but we are willing to go to a private school or possibly home school if we don't like the school system. I know this is houston we are talking about, but (relatively) would prefer a neighborhood not especially prone to flooding. Good home value is important. Safety is of course a concern, but I don't think I am especially skittish. I am ok if our neighborhood is up against sketchier neighborhoods as long as I feel comfortable walking our street at night. I would love to be in an area with a good community field and young kids.

So far, I like Spring Branch area and Cinco Ranch, but am open to suggestions. I realize these areas are totally different, but I kind of like them for this. I like the houses, price point, and amenities of a master planned community that Cinco Ranch is. But I like that Spring Branch is closer to the city, is diverse, has a good restaurant scene, close to shopping, etc. Looks like Spring Branch has some good parks and bike trails coming up.

Can anyone comment on their experiences in neighborhoods around here? Specific subdivision/neighborhood recommendations? What do you think these neighborhoods will be like in 5, 10, 15+ years from now? Thanks in advance!
If you havent yet, keep briargrove park also in mind. It isnt priced like 77079 and close to some private schools but low rayed public schools. If i had the option i ll simply strike off kaaaaaty or cinco ranch due to distance from major amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston