Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 11:19 AM

313 posts, read 285,336 times

Advertisements

Anybody want to discuss building a pool? We’re finally at the point where the kids are old enough and we’re comfortable with the expense and maintenance of a pool (plus Covid has us WFH and home bound). We’re not moving anytime soon so there is not an ROI concern. We’ve been asking friends and neighbors for references, ideas and firsthand experience. How long did it take? How’d you pay for it? What would you do differently if you could?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2021, 08:07 AM

186 posts, read 190,320 times
Pool labor is in very high demand at this time so be patient. From experience, the Gunite crews have a strong pipeline of jobs so expect that to be one of the bottlenecks and your pool builder should look to schedule around that.

Pricing is going up on labor due to demand so dont expect to get a "good deal" on a pool right now as everyone has the same idea due to our current situation.

We havent broken ground yet and we have been 3 months in the planning and permit phase with our builder.
My sister's pool took about 70% longer than average due to waiting on different crews.
We are paying for our pool outright as I looked at different financing options and the interest rates werent low enough for me to consider.
From here, what I would do differently is built the pool prior to this COVID situation but hindsite is 20/20 so I am paying a premium to get my family a function

Old 01-12-2021, 08:23 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,449,245 times
We signed a contract in Sept, they dug in Nov, gunited in Dec, electrical/plumbing has finally been done, and now we are waiting for another cleanup before the decking can be done.

This is my first pool, though a number of my neighbors have them. They all told me it would take longer and be messier and less organized than I think, and to expect/plan for it. They were right. The rains that came between dig and gunite meant crews coming back to clean out the mud (twice I think). Make sure that is a pool company cost!

We are paying cash, so that might have sped up the initial part of the process, but the rest is just start-and-stop. We have a supervisor, but for the most part, pool companies are more middle men.

But it will be great when it is done, which at this point will be spring, LOL.

eta: I recommend you check out the forum on Trouble Free Pool. It's been a huge help in terms of knowing what to expect, pool equipment, finishes, etc.

Old 01-13-2021, 07:14 AM

1,115 posts, read 2,597,484 times
We signed in May of 2020, broke ground June 1 and it was done in 5 weeks ( we lost one due to rain).
Spent around 60K for pool and spa.
Builder said if we would of waited a 2 more weeks they would of had a 3 week delay to even start.

TFP is a good source, alot of people from Houston on there post about their pool and ask questions.

Set money aside for automation, I kind of regret not getting it, but it is something else that can break.
I did a full landscape and fence (not via PB) so I had to drop the automation in favor of looks and privacy.

Plan out anything you want now, extra gas line, extra electrical outlet, speaker wires. Your yard will get trashed so might as well have it be reborn with everything you want.

Old 01-14-2021, 02:49 PM

313 posts, read 285,336 times
Thanks everyone for the replies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: