Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 03:33 PM

13 posts, read 19,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
I live in FW and really like it. My kids are grown but I moved here because I know an excellent ISD keeps home values up. I can tell you that in Friendswood it is all about the kids. They are a priority here. Watch out for areas that have a flood history. If the house flooded or almost flooded in Harvey - stay away. Stay in the Galveston County portion of FW rather than Harris County so you get Friendswood High School.

Clear Lake is nice as well. Get in a section zoned for Clear Lake high school instead of Clear Brook. Now a few neighborhood in Clear Lake with Clear Lake schools are technically in Pasadena City Limits and those are Brookwood and one side of Pinebrook. That is an advantage because you get the luxury of Living in Clear Lake with Clear Lake schools but city services such as fire, police, ambulance city repairs of Pasadena. So smaller city so you get better and more prompt city services. Also note that in Clear Lake you will be close to Ellington airport and spaceport so if the sounds of military planes rattling your walls and windows will bother you - then be ready to hear it. The reserve actually put in triple pain windows to help mitigate the noise but I believe homeowners had to sign a waiver with the builder acknowledging they knew about Ellington. You reall do get used to it but some people truly hate it. If that sound is something you don’t want to hear - then make wise choices and choose one of the Clear Lake communities farthest from it. You’ll still hear it but just not be on top of it.
The only place I am considering in Friendswood is WestRanch.

Friendswood trails is very new and will probably take some time to develop. And Frriendswood Lakes is good but may have a community with older kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2021, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Oh sorry. Didnt look at the galveston part. ( even though i ised to commute to texas city everyday from near eldridge/hwy6 area. For me it was against the traffic) .

If you are asian indian you may take clearlake because friendswood is around 90% white . Pearland wiuld be best if ypu can add another 25 mins each way to your commute.

Also clearlake will appreciate owing to the proximity to 45 . Friendswood not likely .

I did briefly check Pearland, it doesn't make sense to live there given our situation (commute, place of work, etc). So Friendswood and Clearlake are the two areas we have narrowed down. We prefer diverse communities if there is an option. Thanks for the information.

Old 01-15-2021, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I like it. It's close to Downtown while still being a decent drive to my office in Galveston. I didn't move into The Reserve. Those were out of my price range. I don't see many options in The Reserve below $550k. I'm in one of the Bays. With your budget, I would look at Pinebrook or maybe Bay Oaks. Bay Oaks is super nice. It has houses as low at $399K and then some around $5million. During Christmas time, that is the neighborhood to visit.

I picked Clear Lake over Friendswood, League City, and etc. because I hate when new construction raze down every darn tree around. In CL, you have full grown trees throughout the neighborhood and lining the streets. That is something that I always hated about brand new areas.

Be aware that the closer you are the Ellington, the louder the military jets will be. It's not like an airport where it's constant noise all the time but when they do their training, it can get loud quickly. I hear that the noise isn't as bad in The Reserve because of some of the building materials they used for the new houses. However, you will hear them. Sometimes they get so low that it will rattle my house. You have to experience it to understand. Some people love it. NEVER EVER EVER get on the Next Door app and complain about the military jets. I'm warning you now. I feel bad for the new people that get on there and comment about the noise. The commenters basically rip them a new one.

I am happy that you are concerned about trees, I don't get to hear that very often.

I will definitely look into Bay Oaks, I did like a couple of homes there, but I see that the average year built is ~1993. Just thinking if we will get into any repair issues once we move in and also if flooding is something that needs to be verified.

One of the other commenters mentioned that the average time to sell the house in Bayoaks maybe 3x-4x times longer than other nearby communities - any particular reason? I am curious about this in case we want to sell the home after 5 years or so.

I do use the Nextdoor app, so will be aware of the noise issue if we decide to move in there!

Old 01-15-2021, 04:47 PM

1,387 posts, read 982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rootminusone View Post
I am happy that you are concerned about trees, I don't get to hear that very often.

I will definitely look into Bay Oaks, I did like a couple of homes there, but I see that the average year built is ~1993. Just thinking if we will get into any repair issues once we move in and also if flooding is something that needs to be verified.

One of the other commenters mentioned that the average time to sell the house in Bayoaks maybe 3x-4x times longer than other nearby communities - any particular reason? I am curious about this in case we want to sell the home after 5 years or so.

I do use the Nextdoor app, so will be aware of the noise issue if we decide to move in there!
I don’t know if Bay Oaks has a selling issue. I’m always on HAR just browsing. I notice homes usually go to pending sale within 2-3 weeks unless they are drastically over priced. The homes are older but are more structure lay sound than the stuff they are throwing up nowadays. The trick is finding one that’s been mostly updated to where you can add a few of your own personal touches. If you want new then you will have to look at The Reserve.

Here is an updated homes in Bay Oaks. The second one just shows what the luxury homes in Bay Oaks look like.

https://www.har.com/homedetail/14306...-77062/3579450
https://www.har.com/homedetail/2314-...-77059/3583041

Old 01-15-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewest86 View Post
I don’t know if Bay Oaks has a selling issue. I’m always on HAR just browsing. I notice homes usually go to pending sale within 2-3 weeks unless they are drastically over priced. The homes are older but are more structure lay sound than the stuff they are throwing up nowadays. The trick is finding one that’s been mostly updated to where you can add a few of your own personal touches. If you want new then you will have to look at The Reserve.

Here is an updated homes in Bay Oaks. The second one just shows what the luxury homes in Bay Oaks look like.

https://www.har.com/homedetail/14306...-77062/3579450
https://www.har.com/homedetail/2314-...-77059/3583041
Agree that most of the homes in Bay oaks look good, it could be that people have lived there and updated according to their taste and needs, especially for the price compared to the others (like The Reserve).

The second home you shared looks good, but way over my budget. I see Bayoaks has different secs (sectors ?), any idea which part/sec might have relatively younger families and kids?

Old 03-01-2021, 11:12 PM

8,891 posts, read 19,875,808 times
A few homes in Bay Oaks flooded during Harvey. Not sure which ones, may have been close to or on the golf course.

Old 03-06-2022, 03:10 PM

13 posts, read 11,853 times
Hate to raise this thread from the dead but I’m considering a particular home in friendswood that we really like. However we have 3 young kids in elementary whom are asian American (Vietnamese) and we are concerned about public school inclusivity. I understand the area has a reputation for “non inclusivity” to newcomers nonetheless minority types and from California (I know how Texans feel about us). However I’m hoping this has changed a lot?

I understand sugarland is high density Vietnamese but I don’t necessarily need that level of it. We have our heart set on a particular dream home in friendswood but we aren’t willing to have our kids suffer socially if that’s what it will take.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:01 PM

93 posts, read 65,480 times
Try Fulshear - adjacent to Richmond and Katy

Old 03-13-2022, 08:37 AM

1,387 posts, read 982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delcrndr View Post
Hate to raise this thread from the dead but I’m considering a particular home in friendswood that we really like. However we have 3 young kids in elementary whom are asian American (Vietnamese) and we are concerned about public school inclusivity. I understand the area has a reputation for “non inclusivity” to newcomers nonetheless minority types and from California (I know how Texans feel about us). However I’m hoping this has changed a lot?

I understand sugarland is high density Vietnamese but I don’t necessarily need that level of it. We have our heart set on a particular dream home in friendswood but we aren’t willing to have our kids suffer socially if that’s what it will take.
Which ISD? Just because the address is Friendswood doesn’t mean you’ll attend FISD. I’ll be honest, FISD is like 90% white but I don’t think they wolill have issues. You may end up in CCISD.

Old 03-13-2022, 08:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,217,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delcrndr View Post

Friendswood is not going to be any worse than the average suburb. I worked in the aerospace community in Clear Lake where there were people from all around the globe. There were people straight from India, China, Vietnam, Russia, etc. Lots of people from the NASA community live in Friendswood. Friendswood is also a bedroom community for Houston and Galveston. It's not exactly isolated. If there are any inclusivity issues, it's highly unlikely to be about race. I am a minority myself. I live in League City, and am in Friendswood every day. It's not going to be any worse than California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston