Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:55 PM

6 posts, read 21,132 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Houston with 3 kids under 5. My husband will be working downtown and I am home with kids. Our eldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We are looking for an area with good schools, and easy commute (while he works downtown, he commutes a little outside of rush times) and a family friendly community. Does anyone have any ideas? I've heard good things about the Woodlands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2008, 07:03 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Price range? Good neighborhoods and schools IN the city. But they cost more than the far flung burbs.
The Woodlands-eh. Clean and average schools. Remote and commute times can be hefty.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:09 PM

410 posts, read 1,681,761 times
Beware... there are Woodlands bashers on the boards...lol...I would say a "big yes" to the Woodlands. You will have many housing options, good schools, close shopping and tons of kid friendly areas/events. The only negative is finding your way around... they are strict about signage. You won't see any golden arches extending above the tree tops. The commute for your husband will not be easy... but traffic is bad everywhere. Welcome to Houston...Sunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by jul-n View Post
I am relocating to Houston with 3 kids under 5. My husband will be working downtown and I am home with kids. Our eldest will be starting kindergarten in the fall. We are looking for an area with good schools, and easy commute (while he works downtown, he commutes a little outside of rush times) and a family friendly community. Does anyone have any ideas? I've heard good things about the Woodlands?

Old 05-06-2008, 07:12 PM

6 posts, read 21,132 times
What are the best places in the city? I think we could do something in the city financially, we're coming from the northeast where real estate seems to be a bit pricer. Plus, we'd love some character in the homes and community - although the schools are really the priority. Thanks for your help.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:15 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,484,606 times
Zip codes with excellent schools (ranking in the Top Tier of the Houston Metro Area), elite Houston reputation and close to everything- 77024 and 77079.

If willing to enroll in private after elementry and elite Houston reputation-77056,77057 and West U and River Oaks (don't know zip sorry) However, certain segments of those areas are zoned to amazing schools.

HAR.COM is a great search engine

PS- I've lived in The Woodlands.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 05-06-2008 at 07:29 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 10:00 PM

759 posts, read 3,183,384 times
Sugar Land is a good suburb with excellent schools. Nice Parks, Kid Friendly amenities, etc.
About 20 miles southwest of downtown.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 38,079 times
Why don't you try West Houston (77042/77077)...The schools are great and not bad traffic wise.

Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,821,640 times
We are new to Sugar Land and we love it. We chose it because it has...

1. Excellent schools.
2. Proximity to shopping that we like. For example, there is a Whole Foods Market with a children's play area...my children love going there.
3. Lots of things for children to do...we especially like Lifetime Fitness...we are there every week doing soccer or swimming or other fun things.
4. Nice parks.
5. Affordability.
6. Safety. Some people on the Forum have mentioned that they think Sugar Land has high crime because it is in Southwest Houston but the crime statistics I've seen are very reassuring and the vibe here feels safe to me.

I love the architecture in Texas so I don't think the suburbs look as bland as many posters on this list do. Honestly, I think suburbs like Sugar Land are a fabulous place to be when you have young children. I go into Houston for museums and dining and I'm always happy to come back to Sugar Land afterward...life is easy here.

I think The Woodlands is a nice area and the trees there are pretty. However, I really don't like the drive between downtown and The Woodlands very much...it seems like one of the least attractive commutes.

I drove through Cinco Ranch in Katy yesterday on my way to visit a friend in Austin and it looked nice, too.

There are a lot of good choices here.

As soon as you know where you are going to live, call the school district to get registered for kindergarten. Registration in my area started in April and kindergarten starts in August.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,443,742 times
Cypress is nice. As is Champions, Klein, Kingwood and The Woodlands.

In Houston, I like West Memorial.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:11 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,049,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jul-n View Post
If you can afford it, stay inside the loop. There's so much to do, lots of families, lots of parks, lots of museums, the zoo. Great for a SAHM. Try Southampton, Southgate, West U. If you want to spend a little less, head SW a little to Bellaire or Meyerland. Increasing numbers of families are moving to the Heights, too. Check the school stats since the elementary schools vary, but there are some good ones. You might also consider private schools; they cost less here than in the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston