Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2021, 01:09 PM

3,139 posts, read 2,043,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felt38 View Post
Yesterday, around 6:30 pm, My car was rear ended by a red Camaro downtown at Jefferson st near Fannin. I was parked at the red light with two or three other cars in the lanes next to me. I heard a loud car rumbling and then heard tires squealing behind me skidding to a stop. I moved my car forward a bit because I could tell the red Camaro was going to slam into me and tried to give him and us a little room. The Camaro hit hard and my car lurched forward. The Camaro driver then revved his engine, spun out his tires and took off left of me, going in the wrong direction up Fannin at a high rate of speed. I tried hard to get his license but failed to do so. I just couldn’t make out the numbers as he got away fast. I called 911 as my wife had a big red mark on her face and her ribs were hurting.

The police and ambulance arrived to treat us. I could see there was a camera on the building and asked the officer about that. He said that it was a city owned camera but the district attorney’s office won’t ask for the video unless the driver was identified by someone. None of the other cars stopped to help us out. I honestly tried hard to get the license but just couldn’t. Very disappointed with the DA and the other people who saw everything happen but just drove away. It’s strange that video of the event could be easily obtained of a crime but the DA won’t lift a finger to help out. I am tired of this type attitude in this city. I thought Houston was better than that. We’re stiff today but I think we’ll be ok.
Something similar to that happened to me a couple of weeks ago, I was driving down Blodgett towards 288 behind a car that had their indicator on that they were going to turn left at Emancipation. This was around 9:30 PM. The light was green and there was no traffic so they started their left turn and I started passing them as I was going straight. Then at the last second they whipped the car back around to the right and I plowed right into them, destroying the passenger window and a good chunk of the right side of the car. Then they took off before I could get a plate.

My car actually had the worst of the damage but I managed to chase them to the intersection of Ennis and Blodgett where I saw a TSU police officer and flagged him down. They eventually caught the car and we all met up at the police station. The young lady tried to lie and say she hadn't started her turn, so we just filed a report. I went back up to the intersection the next day and asked the business owners for video - the doctor office and the interlock place both kind of gave me the run around and I wasn't able to get anything from them, but the auto repair shop was nice enough to show me the video they had. And wouldn't ya know it - it showed her starting the turn and then turning back the other way - well after it was safe to do so. In fact, if I had not been there and she had completed the turn, she would have ended up on the left side of Emancipation heading north - that's how late she started the turn.

Luckily no one was injured and my car is getting repaired now. I'm sorry this happened to you - it's a jungle out there. If there were any businesses nearby I'd recommend seeing if they can pull the video but it sounds like the city isn't being cooperative. I'd second the previous poster's recommendation to go for the insurance angle and see if they can do anything. A lawyer may help as well in this case - they may be able to find a way to get some evidence that you can't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 02:30 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,474,844 times
Ever since Ive been driving for Uber after being laid off, you definitely see things you werent paying attention to before.

I dont think Ive ever seen so many prostitutes walking the streets. Bissonett is packed with them but you also see them in alleys in South Park and the Fifth Ward. They congregate next to crack houses.

Old 03-23-2021, 04:58 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,341 times
Reading these stories makes me pissed for y’all because these clowns in Houston don’t know how to drive. That young lady who tried to lie, man... I probably would’ve cussed her out something serious because there’s no way you’re going to cause a wreck and then lie your way out of it. You gotta drive for yourself and others because these Houston drivers are something else.

Old 03-23-2021, 05:05 PM

We should put in perspective that Houston isnt really all that bad when it comes to homicide. Its not great, but its not bad either.

East St. Louis: 135.7 (projection)
St. Louis: 87.1
Jackson, MS: 79.6
Flint, MI: 63.1
Baltimore: 56.4
Memphis: 51.0
New Orleans: 50.0
Detroit: 48.8
Birmingham: 48.2
Cleveland: 46.4
Shreveport: 35.2
Kansas City, MO: 35.1
San Bernadino: 32.9
Milwaukee: 32.0
Philadelphia: 31.5
Atlanta: 31.0
Cincinnati: 30.9
Chicago: 28.5
Washington DC: 28.3
Indianapolis: 28.0
Little Rock: 26.3 (projection)
Baton Rouge/East Baton Rouge Parish: 25.9
Richmond: 25.1
Oakland: 23.6
Toledo: 22.4
Louisville/Jefferson County (LMPD): 22.1
Killeen, TX: 20.4
Tulsa: 20.1
Norfolk: 19.8
Minneapolis: 19.6
Columbus, OH: 19.4
Jacksonville: 19.2
Dallas: 18.7
Houston: 18.2
Grand Rapids: 18.1
Newark: 18.0
Pittsburgh: 17.0
Nashville: 16.8
Wichita: 15.1
Albuquerque: 13.6
Charlotte: 13.5
Fresno: 13.4
Denver: 13.1
Lubbock: 12.7
Fort Worth: 12.3
Phoenix: 11.1
St. Paul: 11.0%
Tampa: 11.0% (projection)
Las Vegas/Clark County (LVMPD): 11.0%
Miami/Dade County: 10.0
Des Moines: 9.8
Los Angeles: 8.8
Portland, OR: 8.4
Sacramento: 8.4
San Antonio: 8.2
Boston: 8.2
Colorado Springs: 7.9
Long Beach: 7.8
Omaha: 7.7
Seattle: 6.6
Raleigh: 6.5 (projection)
Anchorage: 6.2
New York City: 5.4
San Francisco: 5.3
Austin: 4.9 (projection)
El Paso: 4.7
San Jose: 4.6 (projection)
San Diego: 3.9
Virginia Beach: 3.7

Old 03-23-2021, 05:29 PM

9,847 posts, read 6,562,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
We should put in perspective that Houston isnt really all that bad when it comes to homicide. Its not great, but its not bad either.
Yes, everywhere is getting worse. Recession, lock down, changing world, rebel culture (whether it's good or bad, it attributes to this). My rule of thumb when it comes to these type of things is are we growing with national trend or are we beating the national trend. And the first is what's clearly happening. But people don't view it this way. The blame game is higher than ever.

Also Dallas ahead of Houston in homicides? In a way it makes sense since Dallas has smaller city limits and is proportionally more represented by its urban core. But I haven't seen this in a while.

Old 03-24-2021, 04:52 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,565,341 times
According to the posted rates, Dallas is slightly ahead of Houston in homicides, but not by much. Houston's homicides are dispersed throughout the city, whereas Dallas homicides are mostly confined to South Dallas/Oak Cliff area.

Old 03-24-2021, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
According to the posted rates, Dallas is slightly ahead of Houston in homicides, but not by much. Houston's homicides are dispersed throughout the city, whereas Dallas homicides are mostly confined to South Dallas/Oak Cliff area.
I doubt this. If only South Dallas has a homicide problem, it wouldn’t be higher than Houston

Old 03-24-2021, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
Thats actually not really true. West and Northwest Dallas also have their share as does East Dallas.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Thats actually not really true. West and Northwest Dallas also have their share as does East Dallas.
I don’t know the numbers but it wouldn’t make sense for Dallas to be suddenly ahead of Houston in homicides and Southern Dallas to have the entirety of the shares.

Old 03-24-2021, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t know the numbers but it wouldn’t make sense for Dallas to be suddenly ahead of Houston in homicides and Southern Dallas to have the entirety of the shares.
If that were the case, Pleasant Grove would be a top 5 most dangerous neighborhood in the US and it isnt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston