Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 10:17 AM

9,978 posts, read 6,689,035 times

Advertisements

I have a feeling people are going to start calling it the ion district naturally. It’ll wind up having the same fate as the Galleria Districk being synonymous with uptown. Or Astrodome being anonymous with nRG park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2021, 09:26 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,048,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
Negative.

Ten years ago $125,000 in salary had roughly, roughly as in +/- 1.5 or 2%, the same buying power as $145,500 today.

This is one of the best inflation metrics ever developed. You may want to save the link.

https://www.dallasfed.org/research/pce

Here is a way to compare $ values over time. You may want to save this one too.

https://www.usinflationcalculator.com

Not to be cruel but your posts pertaining to economics are flights of fancy just about every time. Why post something that you must know is false and is so easy to disprove?
Wat kerrtown said waspractically correct. Economists say wat suits them. Millions affected , thousands dead and jobless, yet elon musk could add 100 billion in a year. If economics is based in speculation , tgen your numbers may be right.

You are middle class if you make 125k or lower (Which is roughly 4000 net every other week.)- because tge definition or range of high income is increasing or exploding.

With cheap dollar and unlimitd funding, and absurd valuations the speculation bubble is bigger than all bubbles we saw

Old 02-15-2021, 03:37 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,627,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The problem is any negative publicity tends to "stick" to Houston more so than Florida or other metros period. And Irma didn't drown a huge metro. Also the nation became aware of the whole series of major floods that had happened from 2015 onward thanks to Harvey publicity. "See? Proof of Houston's out of control development!"

Maybe I'm conditioned a bit by my time spent in the Bay Area - I never lived in SoCal, just visited several times. But Bay Areans were downright disdainful and even fearful of (Anglo) people anywhere east of Mt. Diablo and west of DC.
I feel bad for you if the bolded has been part of your experience. I would challenge that that experience is the norm, and I’m a 5th generation Bay Area native. The bolded isn’t even true re the most persnickety Bay Areans I know.

Quote:
And Houston was considered the epitome of everything wrong with the U.S. It was the default stand-in for the description of a place where the quality of life was horrible, attitudes were primitive and evil, and the environment was something to be destroyed.
^^^^^

You’re laying that on a bit too thick, but that’s sort of true.

Quote:
The association with oil and gas was a huge part of that. DFW wasn't viewed positively at all either (and Dallas' reputation for consumerism and conformity definitely was known), just not as negatively as Houston. Of course Austin was viewed much as you describe. San Antonio was largely unknown except for the Alamo.
^^^^^ Yeah, that’s true....and in some circles the feeling about Dallas goes back to the 1950s.

Quote:
SoCal folks (viewed quite condescendingly by Bay Areans themselves) may not have as much animus toward Houston and suburban middle America generally. They may just be more likely to prefer their brand of beaches and pleasant weather more than anything.
^^^^^
Yeah, that’s true.
(I also lived in SoCal for 7 years as an adult, and I now live in the Houston metro)

Old 02-16-2021, 11:46 AM

19,950 posts, read 18,231,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
Wat kerrtown said waspractically correct. Economists say wat suits them. Millions affected , thousands dead and jobless, yet elon musk could add 100 billion in a year. If economics is based in speculation , tgen your numbers may be right.

You are middle class if you make 125k or lower (Which is roughly 4000 net every other week.)- because tge definition or range of high income is increasing or exploding.

With cheap dollar and unlimitd funding, and absurd valuations the speculation bubble is bigger than all bubbles we saw
What kerrtown wrote is total nonsense - the kind of stuff peddled on short wave radio or podcasts produced in someone's mom's basement. I bowed out so as not to kill the tread.

Old 02-16-2021, 12:20 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 15 days ago)

8,428 posts, read 5,572,834 times
Quote:
What kerrtown wrote is total nonsense
It usually is...

Old 02-17-2021, 02:48 PM

180 posts, read 129,273 times
Default Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeful for Life View Post
I understand that Austin has the “cool” factor and tech, but DFW is flat and butt ugly. Why can’t we get the biz?
Three words - location, location, location!

DFW is more centrally located and has a bigger airport with more direct flights from key US destinations.

An additional point I have heard from people, and it makes sense, is that DFW is viewed as having a more diverse economy and therefore a workforce more suited for the relocated companies. DFW has major banks, telecoms, tech companies, railroads, retailers, energy companies, auto manufacturers and two global airlines all HQ'd there.

The opinion of Houston outside of TX is that it is all energy all the time. Man, Compaq merging with HP really screwed Houston. Hopefully the relocation of HP to Houston will assist with this.

Old 02-17-2021, 03:58 PM

9,978 posts, read 6,689,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogHawk View Post
Three words - location, location, location!

DFW is more centrally located and has a bigger airport with more direct flights from key US destinations.

An additional point I have heard from people, and it makes sense, is that DFW is viewed as having a more diverse economy and therefore a workforce more suited for the relocated companies. DFW has major banks, telecoms, tech companies, railroads, retailers, energy companies, auto manufacturers and two global airlines all HQ'd there.

The opinion of Houston outside of TX is that it is all energy all the time. Man, Compaq merging with HP really screwed Houston. Hopefully the relocation of HP to Houston will assist with this.
NGL. it feels good going from 0 to 2 Fortune 500 tech companies in a span of 2 years. Let's keep them coming!

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-17-2021 at 04:13 PM..

Old 02-18-2021, 07:04 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,048,311 times
Quote:
What kerrtown wrote is total nonsense - the kind of stuff peddled on short wave radio or podcasts produced in someone's mom's basement. I bowed out so as not to kill the tread.
It is guys like you and those economiccphds ir the politicians who font know whats going on withthe public. If they have commonsense would they borrow endlessly? They only make policies for the wealthy and keep the masses divided so people dont rise against them.

The practical situatuon is majority cant sustain withoutborrowing. And when something goes wrong you guys say its part of boom and bust cycle.

Old 02-19-2021, 05:48 PM

2,192 posts, read 3,230,753 times
Dallas has hills at least - lol

Old 02-19-2021, 07:42 PM

5,640 posts, read 4,978,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Dallas has hills at least - lol
Well, Cedar Hill does. A little rolling near White Rock Lake too. Otherwise...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston