Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
If there will be an exodus of any kind from Dallas it will be a result of how the state responds to this disaster in the coming weeks and months. If the state doesn't make any significant changes when it comes to deregulation and privatization(where businesses and state can both be happy) then maybe you'll start to see more businesses think twice about moving down to Texas. But I don't see most corporations simply moving out of Texas due to a natural disaster that isn't common in this region. Most corporations tend to behave like politicians as well when it comes to these sorts of things. They'll react after the fact but if it doesn't impact their dollar or vote they'll pay it no mind till the problem shows up at it's doorstep.
Nope. The state probably won't make any significant changes and DFW probably still won't see a major exodus.

Additionally, DFW pipes burst disaster is coming up even worse than we expected; even "upper middle class" areas have got hit hard. And the damages from the winter storm appear to be eclipsing the cost damage of Harvey (which makes sense, because this is state wide while Harvey was only the coastal areas).

However, DFW probably won't see a mass exodus. Greater Houston continued to grow after Harvey, so I have no reason to believe DFW will see an exodus from this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2021, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
I checked the news constantly throughout this and numbers like this was constantly on a dashboard on most local stations. If I remember correctly I saw it mostly on the ABC 13 app.
I'm almost 100% positive central Texas was by far the hardest hit in terms of power outages.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:31 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I'm almost 100% positive central Texas was by far the hardest hit in terms of power outages.
It is hard to go back and check the numbers for last Wednesday so that's why I want to put the 1.3 million number out there. As far as which area is hardest hit it depends on how you measure it - the best measure is probably something like number of customer affected times average outage divided by population or something like that. I'm not really that interested.
All I know is that Houston does not have anywhere near half of the state's population yet we seem to account for half of the outages on Tuesday/Wednesday. Does that mean someone here screwed up more than the other affected areas? That's the question.

Old 02-22-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
It is hard to go back and check the numbers for last Wednesday so that's why I want to put the 1.3 million number out there. As far as which area is hardest hit it depends on how you measure it - the best measure is probably something like number of customer affected times average outage divided by population or something like that. I'm not really that interested.
All I know is that Houston does not have anywhere near half of the state's population yet we seem to account for half of the outages on Tuesday/Wednesday. Does that mean someone here screwed up more than the other affected areas? That's the question.
DFW also reported moments that had power outages in the millions. Austin and San Antonio reported more than 50% of the population not having power at once, to my knowledge this didn't happen in Houston.

In general, most of the evidence is pointing to central Texas as being the hardest hit if power outages were the single factor. Not that this anyone else any better, but it seems like you're pulling random numbers that you happened to see in a random article.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, Wednesday's peak outage map reported 4.7 homes and businesses, making 1.3 not near the halfway mark.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-22-2021 at 04:52 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
From NBC 5 DFW:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ne...tures/2553351/

Quote:
Nearly 4 Million Without Power as North Texas Dips to Record Low Temperatures

Nearly 4 million homes and businesses continue to be without power in Texas, where temperatures dipped below zero Tuesday morning.

2:13
Hotel Staffers Struggle to Keep Visitors Warm
Outages happened all morning at a hotel in Denton. Low temperatures were down to -4 Tuesday morning. Staff was busy running hot coffee and taking care of visitors who came to the hotel looking for warmth. NBC 5’s...Read more
North Texas shattered a previous record low on Tuesday morning after dropping to a temperature of -2 at Dallas-Fort Worth International Airport, where records for the area are kept, the National Weather Service confirmed.

As the bitter cold persists, a Winter Storm Warning will be in effect from 6 p.m. Tuesday until 6 a.m. Thursday as Texas prepares for another round of snow and ice.

That is not the news Texans want to hear as homes that had already been without electricity for hours had no certainty about when the lights and heat would come back on.

Early Monday morning ERCOT, The Electric Reliability Council of Texas, which oversees the state's electric grid, ordered rotating, controlled power outages to keep the grid intact and to help even more people not experience longer uncontrolled blackouts.
I'm not demising what you're saying about how many people in Houston were hit, it just seems you're relying too much on one set of data. This "more than half of the statewide outages" claim you're making shows no sign of being factual.

Old 02-22-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
From NBC 5 DFW:

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/ne...tures/2553351/

I'm not demising what you're saying about how many people in Houston were hit, it just seems you're relying too much on one set of data. This "more than half of the statewide outages" claim you're making shows no sign of being factual.
This report from Wednesday morning said there were 2.5 million without power in the state, and 1.3 million in the Houston area.

https://abc13.com/texas-power-grid-o...rcot/10347728/

However it did mention that later on that day the statewide number increased to 3.5 million.
So at least there was at least a point in time when the Houston area accounts for the majority of outages in the state. The article also mentions that progress in fixing the issue was slower in the Houston area.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
This report from Wednesday morning said there were 2.5 million without power in the state, and 1.3 million in the Houston area.

https://abc13.com/texas-power-grid-o...rcot/10347728/

However it did mention that later on that day the statewide number increased to 3.5 million.
So at least there was at least a point in time when the Houston area accounts for the majority of outages in the state. The article also mentions that progress in fixing the issue was slower in the Houston area.
You realize its taking data from CenterPoint Energy, where Houston is by far its biggest customer base and there's no comparison elsewhere. Nor is the article tying this data to the whole aftermath in Texas. Were the overall power outages in Texas consistent with this article, your conclusion would hold weight, but they aren't. You're relying on an outdated article using a private (publicly listed) company with its largest base in the Houston market to sum up Texas power outages. Doesn't make any sense.

And even if it weren't based on CenterPoint and were instead based on ERCOT data (which would make a lot more sense), all this "remember this number from Wednesday's article" wouldn't make any sense to use as a data point with so much more information out since which paint a different picture.

I don't see anything in the article speaking on the water return process being slower like you mention, however, maybe it previously had it and they updated after finding misinformation, this happens sometimes. The article pays a lot of focus into Houston's disaster yes, considering it's a Houston media page, why wouldn't they? Articles from a Dallas station will speak on Dallas, as an Austin station will speak on Austin.

If you want overall Texas information, you're looking into the wrong sources.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-22-2021 at 08:52 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 08:53 PM

To stand clear, KerrTown's theory of a mass exodus in DFW is also based off of nothing logical, but your source to show where the power outages are occurring in all of Texas isn't either.

Old 02-22-2021, 09:04 PM

NY Times power outages map shows Central Texas to be the worst hit in terms of outages. Which has been the case during most of the storm.

nttps://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/02/16/us/winter-storm-texas-power-outage-map.html

Today (February 22 around 10:00PM CST)

The only counties still significantly hit with outages are in either Central or Central-West Texas, Deep East Texas (Nacadoches specifically), and Denton County. Wonder what's going on in Denton.

https://poweroutage.us/area/state/texas

Old 02-22-2021, 09:05 PM

Quote:
You realize its taking data from CenterPoint Energy, where Houston is by far its biggest customer base and there's no comparison elsewhere. Nor is the article tying this data to the whole aftermath in Texas. Were the overall power outages in Texas consistent with this article, your conclusion would hold weight, but they aren't. You're relying on an outdated article using a private (publicly listed) company with its largest base in the Houston market to sum up Texas power outages. Doesn't make any sense.

And even if it weren't based on CenterPoint and were instead based on ERCOT data (which would make a lot more sense), all this "remember this number from Wednesday's article" wouldn't make any sense to use as a data point with so much more information out since which paint a different picture.

I don't see anything in the article speaking on the water return process being slower like you mention, however, maybe it previously had it and they updated after finding misinformation, this happens sometimes. The article pays a lot of focus into Houston's disaster yes, considering it's a Houston media page, why wouldn't they? Articles from a Dallas station will speak on Dallas, as an Austin station will speak on Austin.

If you want overall Texas information, you're looking into the wrong sources.
First of all why do you need to article to spell out "half of the outages in the state are in the Houston area"? Can't you do simple arithmetic? You also claim that these numbers are wrong but it also mentions a peak outage number that's close to the one you mentioned elsewhere.

The article didn't say CenterPoint customers it says Texas residents. It isn't my job to parse these articles and I don't see you backing up your assertion that Central Texas is worst hit any better. Again maybe the final analysis after all this is over will show that some area besides Houston is the most incompetent but by the time the authoritative numbers are out most people will probably have moved on to other concerns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston