Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:12 PM

198 posts, read 204,836 times

Advertisements

As a future Texan,I have some younger relatives & friends who are considering to study in Houston or TX & follow the medical profession.

I am interested in people who are doctors or in the med business & know things first - hand. Also,the pros & cons of the profession.Any info or story which can be helpful to future doctors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2008, 05:45 AM

...Well ,not many doctors visit City-Data forum...

Old 05-09-2008, 07:21 AM

40 posts, read 213,574 times
Um...I work in the Medical Center (not a doctor) but if your friends are seriously looking into it, most of the Hospital's include in-depth 'welcome' packages to prospective doctors. Heck, even when I was considering coming here, they had all sorts of stuff for me....

Old 05-09-2008, 09:25 AM

I read stuff about starting salaries of...$ 150 K,I just want to know if they really exist...

Old 05-09-2008, 01:31 PM

13 posts, read 77,320 times
starting salary etc all would depend on your specialty, whether you are hospital-based or in private practice etc. getting a license to practice in TX is a long drawn out process and expensive. i know TX is attractive to many surgical specialities because they instituted malpractice reforms a few years ago.....
hope that helps....

Old 05-09-2008, 02:41 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny2texas View Post
starting salary etc all would depend on your specialty, whether you are hospital-based or in private practice etc. getting a license to practice in TX is a long drawn out process and expensive. i know TX is attractive to many surgical specialities because they instituted malpractice reforms a few years ago.....
hope that helps....
My wife is a physician, went to medical school in Texas, and we many friends who are physicians in Texas (who practice in both fully clinical and also clinical/educational/research settings). Here are some perspectives:

- Houston's Texas Medical Center offers, overall, excellent medical care. Best in TX. The VA at the TMC is one of the best in the U.S., too.

- UT-Southwestern in Dallas is excellent, too.

- Outside of the high prestige areas (i.e. TMC in Houston, UT-S'wstern in Dallas) Texas health care is not especially remarkable compared to the rest of the U.S. (i.e. not worse but not better, either).

- In general--and especially at the upper-management level--medicine in Texas continues to be very much a "good old boy" system and is generally less progressive than many other parts of the U.S.

- Physician salaries are pretty high compared to many other parts of the U.S.

- As is common in many places in the U.S., a number of rural areas in TX have had some difficulty attracting and retaining physicians.

- Health insurance coverage rates in Texas (i.e. the percentage of the population with insurance) is among the worst in the U.S. Consequently, there is a starkly bifurcated delivery system (i.e. one for those with insurance versus one for those without) that is more pronounced in TX than it is in many other states.

- The Texas Medical Association is very well organized and well funded. It is considered one of the most powerful interest groups in the state. But it is a very business-oriented organization and focuses more on the economics of medicine and less on public health policy.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Intereresting.
What about the infamous malpractice insurance,is it truly expensive or hype...?

MSN site claims that doctors' salaries start at $150K & may go as high as $250-300 K...

What about the total time of studying...Is it 6 years + 2 as an intern ?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
Intereresting.
What about the infamous malpractice insurance,is it truly expensive or hype...?

MSN site claims that doctors' salaries start at $150K & may go as high as $250-300 K...

What about the total time of studying...Is it 6 years + 2 as an intern ?
I presume you are unfamiliar with medical education and training in the U.S.???

An MD is done in 4 years after one has completed an undergraduate bachelor's degree (i.e. 4 years undergraduate + 4 years medical school). After medical school is residency. The first year of residency is commonly referred to as "internship" but in most instances internship is part of residency. Residency is 3 to 5 years, depending on specialty. Some highly specialized fields (surgery sub-specialties, for example) require an additional year or two of fellowship after residency (i.e. 5 years residency + 1 or 2 year fellowship) Thus, total time varies.

For example, a family practice doctor would do 4 years undergraduate + 4 years medical school + 3 years residency. Total years education/training: 11. OTOH, a pediatric neurosurgeon would do 4 years undergraduate + 4 years medical school + 5 years residency + 2 year fellowship. Total years education/training: 15.

Salaries vary highly. Physicians are paid a salary for the 3 to 5+ years they are in residency and fellowship. This salary (around $30-50K/year) is usually very low comparaed to full post-residency salaries. After residency, salaries escalate dramatically. Psychiatry is notoriously low paid--some earn around $100-$120K/year. A routine family practice doc or pediatrician might earn $125-200K; Internal medicine: $150-250K; ER doc: $200-300K; Cardiologist or OB/GYN: $250-500K. A specialized surgeon: $500-$800k/year. "Glamour docs" (i.e. plastic surgeon, LASIK surgeon) can do over $1m/year. Though considered more prestigious, academic jobs often pay a bit less than purely clinical jobs. These salary figures are pre-tax income after business expenses are paid (i.e. after paying for office staff, overhead, med-mal insurance, etc.). In addition to these salaries physicians are usually provided benefits such as health/life/disability insurance, 401K or 403b match, CME reimbursement, etc. Unlike the corporate and other sectors, post-residency physician salaries do not generally escalate dramatically over a professional life. For example, in a practice with a 60 year old veteran and a 35 year old (relative) newcomer, the salary difference between the two would likely be relatively modest. Thus, talk of "starting" salary is not used much in medicine.

I have seen nothing to indicate that Texas' rates are significantly higher or lower than other parts of the nation. Med-mal rates are highly dependent upon specialty, practice setting, and other factors. The popular perception is that med-mal rates are primarily driven by tort laws. In fact, tort laws are only one factor (and not the biggest, BTW).

Last edited by professorsenator; 05-09-2008 at 06:16 PM..

Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 AM

Excellent comment, prof/senator ...

Reality is that around age 35 ,a doctor starts making big money...

In his 40s,he can afford a lifestyle with country clubs,golf courses,million dollar homes...

It really is the most esteemed profession...

Old 05-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by futexan View Post
Reality is that around age 35 ,a doctor starts making big money...In his 40s, he can afford a lifestyle with country clubs...
He or *SHE* can afford a very comfortable lifestyle. There's enough gender bias in medicine; let's not perpetuate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston