Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2021, 06:09 AM
kwr kwr started this thread

254 posts, read 494,263 times

Advertisements

This is one of the most balanced and insightful articles I’ve read. I did not know that prior to last week, all 254 counties have never been under a winter storm warning at the same time. I also did not know that Texas homes are typically designed to push heat out, not keep it opposite of northern homes. Lastly, I now understand why power failures are rare in the summer heat. “On the hottest summer day you can imagine, say it’s 105 degrees outside, and you’re trying to keep your home at 75 degrees. That’s a 30-degree difference. If it’s 10 degrees outside and you’re trying to keep your home at 70 degrees, that’s a 60-degree difference.”

http://www-texasmonthly-com.cdn.ampp...prevented/amp/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2021, 06:27 AM

2,082 posts, read 1,130,875 times
Story about a guy who was hit for 16 grand for the past two weeks usage.

What are the consumer protection laws in Texas for this sort of thing to even be an issue?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/u...ric-bills.html

Old 02-21-2021, 09:28 AM

15,442 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post

What are the consumer protection laws in Texas for this sort of thing to even be an issue?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/20/u...ric-bills.html
The people in the story seemed to have signed up for Griddy, a provider that charges wholesale rates. The Public Utilities Commission ordered prices to jump to the $9000/MWh max, which is $9/kwh. I would never sign up for a plan like that, even if the savings are a few hundred dollars per year when there are no issues. Any plan without a cap is going to be bad at some point. Those folk sknew about the risk of spikes, an dalso allowed Griddy to draft their bank accounts daily.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The people in the story seemed to have signed up for Griddy, a provider that charges wholesale rates. The Public Utilities Commission ordered prices to jump to the $9000/MWh max, which is $9/kwh. I would never sign up for a plan like that, even if the savings are a few hundred dollars per year when there are no issues. Any plan without a cap is going to be bad at some point. Those folk sknew about the risk of spikes, an dalso allowed Griddy to draft their bank accounts daily.

It shouldn't be allowed to happen. If average prices is 0.11/kwh then the cap should be around .30/kwh. Certainly not $9. What other product do we buy where we commit to buy at whatever price the provider decides to charge? If you had sold a bottle of water or a gallon of gas for $50 last week you would be prosecuted under anti-gouging laws. It shows that PUCT looks out for the providers not the consumers.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:09 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,526,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It shouldn't be allowed to happen. If average prices is 0.11/kwh then the cap should be around .30/kwh. Certainly not $9. What other product do we buy where we commit to buy at whatever price the provider decides to charge? If you had sold a bottle of water or a gallon of gas for $50 last week you would be prosecuted under anti-gouging laws. It shows that PUCT looks out for the providers not the consumers.
You agree to it when you sign up, it's right there in your terms of service:

Quote:
You can view the LMP price of electricity in real-time in the Griddy app at any time. The price ranges from below 0.0¢/kWh - $9/kWh, which is the market cap.
https://www.griddy.com/texas/terms-of-service-agreement

People really need to understand the risks when signing up for variable rate plans of any kind.

Old 02-21-2021, 10:25 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kreeyax View Post
You agree to it when you sign up, it's right there in your terms of service:

https://www.griddy.com/texas/terms-of-service-agreement

People really need to understand the risks when signing up for variable rate plans of any kind.

I know that. What I said is it shouldn't be allowed to happen. My opinion.

Old 02-21-2021, 01:11 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,304,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwr View Post
I also did not know that Texas homes are typically designed to push heat out, not keep it opposite of northern homes. Lastly, I now understand why power failures are rare in the summer heat. “On the hottest summer day you can
Sounds like you don’t know anything about “conservation of energy”

Are you telling me that coolers have to be designed for either hot or cold food?

Old 02-22-2021, 06:44 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOORGONG View Post

Quote:
I know that. What I said is it shouldn't be allowed to happen. My opinion.
It absolutely should be allowed to happen. These people signed up for a "market rate" plan,and it told them exactly what could happen. It even happened exactly like this a couple years ago, in August 2018 (maybe 2019?), when it got so hot, the state grid went to market pricing, just like last week. People on Griddy had huge bills.

It will always happen when you don't use a fixed rate (or limited variable rate) plan. Remember, Griddy users had really low prices before this, when most of us were still paying our typical .12 cents or so. They took advantage of the low prices, so they have to pay when they are high prices.

Quote:
You don't understand how Griddy works. The cap is $9Kwh. The tell you that going in. Gouging is different. That's when you take a product where the cost hasn't changed, and jack up the price to make money during an emergency. In this case, the cost DID go up.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:27 AM

223 posts, read 262,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
It absolutely should be allowed to happen. These people signed up for a "market rate" plan,and it told them exactly what could happen. It even happened exactly like this a couple years ago, in August 2018 (maybe 2019?), when it got so hot, the state grid went to market pricing, just like last week. People on Griddy had huge bills.

It will always happen when you don't use a fixed rate (or limited variable rate) plan. Remember, Griddy users had really low prices before this, when most of us were still paying our typical .12 cents or so. They took advantage of the low prices, so they have to pay when they are high prices.

You don't understand how Griddy works. The cap is $9Kwh. The tell you that going in. Gouging is different. That's when you take a product where the cost hasn't changed, and jack up the price to make money during an emergency. In this case, the cost DID go up.
100% this. No one forced Griddy users into this plan, they could have signed up for a fixed plan an paid 9c/ KWh like the rest of us, round the clock.

I got so tired of hearing Griddy users brag on social media about their low bills (usually in low demand months like October or April).....there is a term for this in risk management: Picking up pennies in front of a bulldozer.

PLUS, IF a Griddy user got a massive bill last week, it means they had power. Otherwise their usage would be 0 KWh. As someone who shivered through 54 hours in the cold/ dark, I have little sympathy. Caveat Emptor. Buyer Beware.

Old 02-22-2021, 08:36 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,238,679 times
One thing that should be changed... plans like Griddy should be prohibited. There is no reason someone should use or need a plan like this. It's cutting-edge capitalism, with no safety net. While I don't believe in the nanny state, I do think there are things that should not be allowed, for the public good.

Having said that, as my dad told me many a time... "you dance with the one that brung you".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornHotspur View Post
there is a term for this in risk management: Picking up pennies in front of a bulldozer.
Love this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston