Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 09:57 AM

49 posts, read 44,412 times

Advertisements

Thanks for the info on CC. Beach is a huge plus, but the international airports, hospitals and sports teams of Houston take priority I think.

I’ve got a question about Clearlake area. Are there places to fish the shores by kayak? I was looking down by Lake Jackson and there is Chocolate Bayou and lots of places to fish along the shore. I was wondering if the same was true for the Clearlake area. As I mentioned before, we go to Mexico all the time so the grandkids would love to fish, crab, etc. Since Clearlake is so modern compared to Lake Jackson, I was just curious if there were places to do those things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 10:06 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,470,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancho5 View Post
Thanks for the info on CC. Beach is a huge plus, but the international airports, hospitals and sports teams of Houston take priority I think.

I’ve got a question about Clearlake area. Are there places to fish the shores by kayak? I was looking down by Lake Jackson and there is Chocolate Bayou and lots of places to fish along the shore. I was wondering if the same was true for the Clearlake area. As I mentioned before, we go to Mexico all the time so the grandkids would love to fish, crab, etc. Since Clearlake is so modern compared to Lake Jackson, I was just curious if there were places to do those things.
I don't like the Coastal Bend area because it tend to be directly hit by hurricanes that affect the Houston area. Hurricane Harvey caused flooding in the Houston area, but the eye hit the northern part of CC blowing that part of town off the map.

Living directly on the coast (e.g. Galveston, Lake Jackson/Freeport, Port Aransas) is not advisable in Texas. Being slightly inland is a smart choice though.

Clear Lake is an established master-planned community, albeit with older homes. League City is across the lake and halfway between Houston and Galveston, with newer homes.

If you prefer freshwater fishing, the northern suburbs of The Woodlands, Conroe, and Kingwood are near the lakes. Also these suburbs are very close to Bush Airport to take advantage of United's hub and the numerous foreign carriers.

Old 02-12-2021, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I don't like the Coastal Bend area because it tend to be directly hit by hurricanes that affect the Houston area. Hurricane Harvey caused flooding in the Houston area, but the eye hit the northern part of CC blowing that part of town off the map.
Not family with the term Coastal Bend. Would you please elaborate?

Old 02-12-2021, 10:42 AM

5,639 posts, read 4,968,865 times
Quote:
Not family with the term Coastal Bend. Would you please elaborate?
This is the area of the Texas coast (and nearby inland areas) running roughly from Port Lavaca to Kingsville.

Old 02-12-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
This is the area of the Texas coast (and nearby inland areas) running roughly from Port Lavaca to Kingsville.
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2021, 11:51 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,044,945 times
I too thought it was going to be muddy and have to go to south padrre but the clean beaches start from 358 onwards. Especially that beaches after the whitecap beach onwards. Water is clear, low surf , shallow and if sunny you can see the blue as well. The beaches around downtown are good for hanging around and walks.

Old 02-12-2021, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
I too thought it was going to be muddy and have to go to south padrre but the clean beaches start from 358 onwards. Especially that beaches after the whitecap beach onwards. Water is clear, low surf , shallow and if sunny you can see the blue as well. The beaches around downtown are good for hanging around and walks.
By beaches downtown, do you mean Clear Lake? Are there places to put your boat in the water? Or to put a sea kayak in? Crabbing or fishing for the grandkids when they visit?

Old 02-12-2021, 12:50 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,044,945 times
Quote:
By beaches downtown, do you mean Clear Lake? Are there places to put your boat in the water? Or to put a sea kayak in? Crabbing or fishing for the grandkids when they visit?
No its the corpus christi downtown. You also have marinas around the corpus christi bay . Actually towns of port arasas snd palacios were fishing towns with immigrant populatons couple decades ago.

Around (Houston ) clearlake the closest you can put the boat in water is kemah.

Old 02-12-2021, 01:32 PM

Got it! You were talking about CC. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2021, 04:28 PM

109 posts, read 116,086 times
Quote:

Yes, kayak fishing for saltwater species (trout, redfish, sheepshead, croaker) is good in and around Clear Lake. I fished there for many years launching from boat ramps in Kemah, San Leon, Texas City, and Clear Lake Shores. There are very detailed maps available showing all these locations plus bait camps.

Living in Clear Lake will put you close to all types of amenities. I particularly recommend the renovated Baybrook Mall, the Kemah Boardwalk, and Space Center Houston. From CL it is a 30 min drive to Galveston with even better fishing and all types of beach-related and water activities.

One thing I like to do is rent a canal-side beach house near Galveston with night fishing lights and a dock. This will allow you to do all of the things you are doing with the grandkids right there while being a short drive into town for the many tourist type activities.

Research flooding and hurricane evacuation issues carefully before buying. I live in San Antonio now after experiencing Rita, Ike, and Harvey in 2005, 2008, and 2017.

Last edited by Birdman03; 02-12-2021 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: comma
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston