Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better dynasty?
2005 18 78.26%
2020-21 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2021, 07:42 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times

Advertisements

2005 is always pointed as the year where Houston was all over the map. But look at all the stars today compared to in 05. In terms of airplay, it's incomparable. The Travis Scott, Don Toliver, Megan thee Stallion aren't just big names. They're pop stars! We could point out Lizzo, but she's a very popped out version of hip hop, so she's debatable on counting.

We've had plenty of smaller acts come and go, the Kirko Bangzs, T-Waynes, Riff Raffs, Lecrae, Maxo Kreams. But this many pop stars all at once is new.

While the first 3 all show some old school Houston sound in their artistry, it's not a congruent like it was in 2005 (although the Travis Scott-Don Toliver duo are part of the same movement). But that's heavy regional scenes aren't what they used to be.

Also, anyone notice how chopped and screwed is on the rise again? When's the last time chopped and screwed songs have ammassed tens of millions of views like they are today? Annnnnd the white folks making an "EDM" form dubbed "Slowed and Reverbed". The latter is controversial, and has stirred up death threatening debates, but I'll hold that argument for another day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2021, 09:04 AM

332 posts, read 260,998 times
I guess it kind of depends on what qualifies as "better." Agreed on airplay but for me it's hard to beat the quality of early to mid '00s, even though that time period was a bit change of guard with some big names passing (Screw, Pat, Big Moe & Hawk) and newcomers entering the scene (Cham). Also there were some names that were really hitting their stride during this time - Z-RO, Trae, Devin the Dude, among many others - that IMO really put Houston on the map.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 3,451,717 times
Being a bigger pop star doesn't equate to being "better" IMO.
The music today's artists doesn't compare to the music that came out in the early to mid 2000s.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:50 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,567,681 times
2005 was the year Houston hip hop hit the mainstream. Slim Thug, Paul Wall were already established by '05, and chopped & screwed was barely hanging on. Since the deaths of many Screwed Up Click members, Houston's hip hop scene was on life support. Matter of fact, outside of Z-Ro and ESG, hardly anyone from Screwed Up Click was dropping music. Megan The Stallion, Travis Scott, Lizzo are all pop stars at best, so I wouldn't consider them hip hop at all. Travis Scott is debatable because he does incorporate old-school Houston sound into his music. I'll say this: If Screw, Pat, Moe, Hawk & Mr. 3-2 were alive...it's no question Houston hip hop would be just as big, if not bigger than it was in '05.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
2005 was the year Houston hip hop hit the mainstream. Slim Thug, Paul Wall were already established by '05, and chopped & screwed was barely hanging on. Since the deaths of many Screwed Up Click members, Houston's hip hop scene was on life support. Matter of fact, outside of Z-Ro and ESG, hardly anyone from Screwed Up Click was dropping music. Megan The Stallion, Travis Scott, Lizzo are all pop stars at best, so I wouldn't consider them hip hop at all. Travis Scott is debatable because he does incorporate old-school Houston sound into his music. I'll say this: If Screw, Pat, Moe, Hawk & Mr. 3-2 were alive...it's no question Houston hip hop would be just as big, if not bigger than it was in '05.
Don Toliver is one of the hottest artists right now. He gets more views than Lil Uzi. And his album cover is literally a Slab with the 5th wheel hanging. Yes, I agree that the sound isn't 100% the same, but you can't expect it to be. Or else they wouldn't be the big names they are today.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...en_or_Hell.png

Name one regional hip hop scene where the sound is exactly what it was 20 years ago... It doesn't exist.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 02-13-2021 at 10:14 AM..

Old 02-13-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
2005 was the year Houston hip hop hit the mainstream. Slim Thug, Paul Wall were already established by '05, and chopped & screwed was barely hanging on. Since the deaths of many Screwed Up Click members, Houston's hip hop scene was on life support. Matter of fact, outside of Z-Ro and ESG, hardly anyone from Screwed Up Click was dropping music. Megan The Stallion, Travis Scott, Lizzo are all pop stars at best, so I wouldn't consider them hip hop at all. Travis Scott is debatable because he does incorporate old-school Houston sound into his music. I'll say this: If Screw, Pat, Moe, Hawk & Mr. 3-2 were alive...it's no question Houston hip hop would be just as big, if not bigger than it was in '05
What... You're telling me if that group of rappers were alive, people would still be listening to 05 style music? Well the fact that Well the fact that people still listened to chopped and screwed says something but its heavily evolved.

And Mr 3-2???? And I love 3-2, he's actually one of my favorites in SUC, but only heavy screw heads really listened to him. A better argument would've been Pimp C.

You're underselling the Jack Boys. the fact they incorporate chopped and screwed in their music says a lot. You can't expect it to be a carbon copy of what it used to be or it won't sell overtime.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
What... You're telling me if that group of rappers were alive, people would still be listening to 05 style music? Well the fact that people still listened to chopped and screwed says something but its heavily evolved.

And Mr 3-2???? And I love 3-2, he's actually one of my favorites in SUC, but only heavy screw heads really listened to him. A better argument would've been Pimp C.

You're underselling the Jack Boys. the fact they incorporate chopped and screwed in their music says a lot. You can't expect it to be a carbon copy of what it used to be or it won't sell overtime.
I think so. Just because times change, doesn't always mean the music has to. I couldn't see Screw, Pat, Moe, Hawk or any of the SUC cats changing their sound with the times. If '05 style music made me successful, that's what I'm going with regardless of the times. The only reason folks still listen to chopped & screwed is because of Michael Watts carrying the torch. If he didn't pick up where Screw left off, I doubt chopped & screwed would still be around today.

Old 02-13-2021, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think so. Just because times change, doesn't always mean the music has to. I couldn't see Screw, Pat, Moe, Hawk or any of the SUC cats changing their sound with the times. If '05 style music made me successful, that's what I'm going with regardless of the times. The only reason folks still listen to chopped & screwed is because of Michael Watts carrying the torch. If he didn't pick up where Screw left off, I doubt chopped & screwed would still be around today.
BUT IT DOES. When's the last time you heard a Dr. Dre hardcore fast paced gangsta rap beat. Or an 80s New York style wordy "peter piper" tongue twister song. With all forms of hip hop dying out eventually, how exactly is that quartet going to form an exception?

Like I said, I'll give it to you that people are listening to chopped and screwed again, but it's a completely different style of it. I don't see how when every form of (not just hip hop but all of music) die out eventually, there's supposed to be an exception. Well Dr. Dre is still alive but gangsta rap is dead so....

Old 02-20-2021, 11:05 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDFmwdqUss-The crazy thing is that the streets knew about Hawk's death before it made news. It was discussed for a while.

Old 02-20-2021, 01:11 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
90s> 2005> 2020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston