Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 12:10 PM

10,050 posts, read 6,754,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerbear30 View Post
If you zoom out a bit and look at the state of the economy, it is undeniable that the rich are getting richer while the poor and working class have become more and more contingent—stagnant wages while profits for the rich go up, and fewer and fewer solid 40hr / week jobs. It’s harder to get hold of healthcare and mental healthcare is not even a social priority. Think about it. How would crime not go up?
Absolutely. Crime everywhere is getting worse. Not to mention the social injustice Movement and the movements to not submit to cops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2021, 09:11 PM

23,175 posts, read 12,321,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
How many jails do you want to pay for? What was the crime rate during the depression? Economically disadvantage does not equal criminal.

It's cheaper to pay for the jails than to pay for the crime.

Old 02-28-2021, 06:28 AM

24,145 posts, read 15,227,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's cheaper to pay for the jails than to pay for the crime.
Homeowners insurance pays for a lot theft. we all pay, it's just which pocket does the funding come from.

IMO, trained teachers in good schools who could teach people to read is also another way to cut the cost of jail.
Many in jail cannot read. Ten grand a year to educate, 35K a year to jail.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Homeowners insurance pays for a lot theft. we all pay, it's just which pocket does the funding come from.

IMO, trained teachers in good schools who could teach people to read is also another way to cut the cost of jail.
Many in jail cannot read. Ten grand a year to educate, 35K a year to jail.

Jail is cheaper than rampant crime, and you're right; education is cheaper than jail. But what I'm seeing in the schools is we are headed in the exact wrong direction. Kids are schooled without discipline and taught to disrespect if not despise authority.

Old 02-28-2021, 12:56 PM

15,684 posts, read 7,699,444 times
Quote:
Jail is cheaper than rampant crime, and you're right; education is cheaper than jail. But what I'm seeing in the schools is we are headed in the exact wrong direction. Kids are schooled without discipline and taught to disrespect if not despise authority.
Do you have kids in school? If not, then you have no idea what schools are teaching.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Do you have kids in school? If not, then you have no idea what schools are teaching.

Aside from the fact that my kids just graduated, a close family member is a 7th grade teacher, and another close friend is a 5th grade teacher. But go ahead and tell us your story. And the point wasn't about the teaching part but the discipline part.

Old 02-28-2021, 05:44 PM

567 posts, read 1,627,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
This is 100% false. You must’ve never been to a ghetto in any American city. While they do go where the calls are made, this isn’t the same as patrolling an area.
So we agree, they go where the calls are, but not patrolling a specific area. Like I said, I don't see any patrols in my area. Neighborhood HOAs pay constables in my area because HPD is non existent.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:54 PM

15,684 posts, read 7,699,444 times
Quote:
Aside from the fact that my kids just graduated, a close family member is a 7th grade teacher, and another close friend is a 5th grade teacher. But go ahead and tell us your story. And the point wasn't about the teaching part but the discipline part.
This is my kid's 12th year in HISD. There is discipline, a lot of it. Kids get suspended for stuff that would have been a paddling when I was in school, or we would have had to sweep the parking lot or paint the rocks around the flagpole. HISD cuts students very little slack on discipline. If other districts have issues, that's on them.

Old 03-01-2021, 06:48 AM

4,399 posts, read 4,664,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
We're talking Houston here, not some other city. HPD seldom patrols anywhere, and most of the cars are not in upscale neighborhoods, they are in the higher crime areas. HPD doesn't do a lot of patrolling due to manpower limitations.
Quote:
What? No school is teaching kids to disrespect or despise authority. And when you say schools are without discipline, well what exactly is your definition of discipline?

First, not all schools or their districts are created equal. I have family and friends who actually work at the schools all over the metro. Discipline comes in the form of write ups, detentions, meeting with the parents, suspension or a simple 1 on 1 conversation between Teacher and Student.

The problem is and what has always been is a lack of resources put into specific schools. It doesn't take a genius to realize what schools generally produce the lowest test scores, the worst attendance rates and all the other negative attributes that come with a bad school. Those particular schools are usually in lower-income communities. Over crowded classrooms so teachers can't teach properly, outdated school books, lack of STEM programs or productive activities. Teachers and the remainder of the staff if doing the best they can with what they have. The State and the city have left these schools behind. And usually when you have schools like that it can open the door to some shady people within the school district and on the school board.

Old 03-01-2021, 08:22 AM

24,145 posts, read 15,227,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
What? No school is teaching kids to disrespect or despise authority. And when you say schools are without discipline, well what exactly is your definition of discipline?

First, not all schools or their districts are created equal. I have family and friends who actually work at the schools all over the metro. Discipline comes in the form of write ups, detentions, meeting with the parents, suspension or a simple 1 on 1 conversation between Teacher and Student.

The problem is and what has always been is a lack of resources put into specific schools. It doesn't take a genius to realize what schools generally produce the lowest test scores, the worst attendance rates and all the other negative attributes that come with a bad school. Those particular schools are usually in lower-income communities. Over crowded classrooms so teachers can't teach properly, outdated school books, lack of STEM programs or productive activities. Teachers and the remainder of the staff if doing the best they can with what they have. The State and the city have left these schools behind. And usually when you have schools like that it can open the door to some shady people within the school district and on the school board.
People forget that promotion policies in Texas ISDs permit teachers first choice at openings. That leaves the lowest performing schools with the least experienced staff. My relatives who teach inform me that it took them 3 years to get truly comfortable with the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston