Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 12:17 PM

9 posts, read 12,506 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of good choices in Houston. We did HISD Vanguard (G/T) for elementary, and the school we attended was so focused on test scores that we went private in middle school, even though our original plan was to switch at high school. Our kids did not seem to be behind in 6th grade and they enjoyed their elementary experience, even though we, as parents, were frustrated with the endless testing.

The advantage for private in elementary appears to be the close relationships they build with peers and teachers, rather than academics. They learn to trust their teachers and that there is actually a relationship there and that two-way communication between student and teacher is not only normal but beneficial for both parties. From my (admittedly limited) perspective, public schools struggle to teach that, due mostly to class size. For us, that wasn't worth the cost of private elementary. Our kids are learning that just a little later.

Katy, Conroe, Spring Branch and Fort Bend are all very good school districts, but if you live in the suburbs and decide to switch to one of the top-tier privates later you'll be pretty far away geographically...except for maybe a Conroe (Woodlands)/John Cooper play. HISD has some good schools, but you would want to choose carefully and might have to spend some serious cash on your house to be certain of getting into your school of choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 02:41 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,358,673 times
To clarify how my kids were taught different subjects in their G/T program at SBISD:

Each broad subject (science, math, language arts, etc.) would be approached by selecting a more narrow topic that encompasses each subject, then focusing on that topic in-depth for half of the school year with one teacher. This allows the students not only to delve deeper into the topic, but also develop a more intimate working relationship with their teacher and peers, because they have the same teacher for the entire half year they are learning about that topic, and keep the same peers not only for that class, but the same peers they entered the program with for the entire time they are in the program, whether they entered together in the first grade or third grade.

For example, a topic for the first half of one year might be forensic science. Kids in that class would study various aspects of forensic science that incorporated math, research, writing, communication (via solo and team class presentations) and artistic creativity (through the creation of props for their presentations). Then the other half of the year he/she might study migration. Incorporated in every topic would be some Latin studies. Topics studied may differ for each child, depending on when he/she enters the program.

Overall, a very comprehensive, in-depth approach towards learning that encompasses creativity, critical thinking, solo and teamwork, and communication skills.

Last edited by mingna; 04-06-2021 at 03:02 PM..

Old 04-06-2021, 06:02 PM

Wanted to add:

My daughter loved her time there, made friends from other schools, and developed a warm rapport with a few of her G/T teachers.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:51 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
G/T magnets are quite popular with people living in HISD.

I suggest getting a job first, then deciding schools based on proximity to your job

Old 04-07-2021, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
G/T magnets are quite popular with people living in HISD.

I suggest getting a job first, then deciding schools based on proximity to your job
Best advice in the thread.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:51 AM

35 posts, read 60,421 times
I believe the OP already has job and doesnt have to deal with daily commute..i.e probably working from home. so they are asking for the best possible school and plan on living close to that school.

My suggestion would be to rent/buy a place either
a) zoned to good school in memorial area (SBISD option or if private, close to awty/Kinkaid)
b) zoned to West U/River Oaks Elementary (HISD option or if private, close to SJS)
c) move to woodlands ( You have good school district or if private, can decide to go with Cooper)

When moving to houston, at least in the initial phase, i feel it helps to be central so you are against traffic.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:30 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,770,288 times
Good post. I am also astonished with how many posts there are demanding the best schools with the best of everything. Having children who have reached adulthood and another who is still a teenager I can say that our children are their own people with their own individuality. What we expect and prepare for when the are in kindergarten can turn into something completely different as they grow.
There is really no guarantee what our children are capable of or what type of education will be best for them based on some test score when they are 5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I am literally astonished at how many people see K-12 education as nothing but a road to college, as if where a kid goes to college is literally the only thing that matters about how they spent those 13 years.

Is that really how you see it? What about what they learned? How they see the world? What habits did they develop? What did they learn about how to treat others? What is their sense of personal responsibility? Are they good mentors to others? Are they good critical thinkers? Can they dissect a text and discuss it with authority? Can they give a public presentation on their research?

Old 04-08-2021, 06:08 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
There are tons of people thinking "I want my kid at St. Johns/Kinkaid" not realizing spaces are few and it costs money. I know everyone wants the best, but it's also important to be happy with what you can get, including public schools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hendersj31 View Post
Good post. I am also astonished with how many posts there are demanding the best schools with the best of everything. Having children who have reached adulthood and another who is still a teenager I can say that our children are their own people with their own individuality. What we expect and prepare for when the are in kindergarten can turn into something completely different as they grow.
There is really no guarantee what our children are capable of or what type of education will be best for them based on some test score when they are 5 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston