Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 11:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,362 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is moving to the Houston area and we’re trying to navigate the educational landscape. My husband and I need to be in the area but do not have to deal with a daily commute so we’d like to choose our home based on the educational opportunities. The oldest of our three children is a rising kindergartner and tested in the 98th percentile on the WPPSI-IV. We have not tested the younger two. In looking for a school, we want a good spring board into university but even more so, we want the children to be academically challenged, well read and critical thinkers. With that in mind, I’d really love to hear your thoughts on the best academic environments in the Houston area.

Why is there so much demand on Saint John’s and Kinkaid? Are they more academically rigorous than the HISD schools?

How do SJS and Kinkaid compare to the big suburban districts like Katy?

We heard that Spring Branch has a gifted school. Thoughts about it?

Any insight you guys could offer to help us navigate this complex landscape would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2021, 06:05 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,055,756 times
You are going to get every answer under the sun here; I don't think there's one right answer. You have to do what's best for your family. Objectively, SJS, Kinkaid (and add 15 or so other private schools) are going to be "better" than public because the population of students is 100% with financial means and invested parents who are way, way into their kids' education. Also, the teachers have good resources, and class size is small.

Beyond that, your question gets subjective. Some of those private school may be pressured to "prove" their rigor to parents who want to see their kids doing piles of homework and above-grade-level work. That's not necessarily what's best, pedogogically or developmentally. But maybe you are among those parents, and would be happy with that. I don't know.

Some of the public schools are excellent, have great leadership who support their teachers, and focus on great teaching. Others focus on testing, not great for students, but their numbers look good. And parents like those numbers.

Personally, having had kids in public and private, it would depend on how much money I had. If I had plenty, I'd go private. I could avoid all the time-wasting state testing, all the time wasted and yelling that gets directed at behavioral problem kids, etc. I would also find a Montessori school, and not get distracted thinking about what schools send kids to what college, when my kids are in elementary school. But now we're deep in subjective land, so your opinion may be quite different.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:17 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,658 times
The private school i am willing to spend money on is SJS with that said if I spending that amount i would hope he got into the Ivy’s because if he just go to UT or A&M public school will do just fine. I don’t know about gifted program in Houston isd but in Katy isd gifted program is only a day weekly for elementary kids. The gifted/pre AP are in the same class learning the same thing from middle school onwards. My son is identified gifted with Katy ISD i don’t see any significant difference in education he received compare to pre AP program. We are satisfied with Katy ISD.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:46 AM

35 posts, read 60,498 times
Agree with previous responses. If you can afford, go private - SJS or Kinkaid. If you cant, go public school. Top two private schools and Top two public schools are not the same, at least in Houston.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:32 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,360,041 times
Speaking for SBISD and my personal experiences with it, with two kids at the elementary school level:

SBISD has two programs for children identified as gifted, which they identify using mainly two criteria; 1) test score 2) detailed parental/teacher evaluation, including physical manifestations such as artwork, science projects, poetry, etc.)

Based on these two criteria, your child may either be placed in the “regular” gifted program (G/T), or the highly gifted program (SBAI).

My kids were both in the G/T program, from which I will share my experience during that time period:

It’s a once a week, full day program at a separate school, where they work with other peers from other SBISD elementary schools who were similarly identified. They do a lot of interesting, in-depth projects and presentations. Parents were provided detailed access to the curriculum through a folder the child keeps for each class/subject. The kids are rotated through classes and teachers for each subject: science, history, etc. Parent/teacher conferences were held twice, once at the beginning and once near the end. The kids went on one field trip a year. I was pleased with the quality of their education, but wished it was offered daily instead of just a once a week pull-out. But of course, you can supplement their education (I coached them in Odyssey of the Mind).

SBAI: It is a fully self-contained, immersive program where the child spends their entire time with similar peers. Parents here have the option of sending their kids here, or mainstream.

Regardless, I suggest you contact SBISD for updated information and official program details.

Old 04-06-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptt View Post
The private school i am willing to spend money on is SJS with that said if I spending that amount i would hope he got into the Ivy’s because if he just go to UT or A&M public school will do just fine. I don’t know about gifted program in Houston isd but in Katy isd gifted program is only a day weekly for elementary kids. The gifted/pre AP are in the same class learning the same thing from middle school onwards. My son is identified gifted with Katy ISD i don’t see any significant difference in education he received compare to pre AP program. We are satisfied with Katy ISD.
I am literally astonished at how many people see K-12 education as nothing but a road to college, as if where a kid goes to college is literally the only thing that matters about how they spent those 13 years.

Is that really how you see it? What about what they learned? How they see the world? What habits did they develop? What did they learn about how to treat others? What is their sense of personal responsibility? Are they good mentors to others? Are they good critical thinkers? Can they dissect a text and discuss it with authority? Can they give a public presentation on their research?

Old 04-06-2021, 10:38 AM
ptt

497 posts, read 637,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I am literally astonished at how many people see K-12 education as nothing but a road to college, as if where a kid goes to college is literally the only thing that matters about how they spent those 13 years.

Is that really how you see it? What about what they learned? How they see the world? What habits did they develop? What did they learn about how to treat others? What is their sense of personal responsibility? Are they good mentors to others? Are they good critical thinkers? Can they dissect a text and discuss it with authority? Can they give a public presentation on their research?
Those are stuff that we as parents set up to do and a good public schools can help achieve that goal. But if i were to pay 30k a year i think What private school like SJS can offer i would think is that teacher/ consular pay attention for each student and advise/ prep them accordingly. Public schools will not come close to that level. So, if Ivy League college is important to you school like SJS, Kinkaid going to help you hop that little hurdle.

Last edited by ptt; 04-06-2021 at 11:04 AM..

Old 04-06-2021, 10:41 AM

35 posts, read 60,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post

Am guessing you have a background in education so am curious to know where you perceive the child will learn all the things you have mentioned - from peers? teachers? parents?. A child spends average of 40 hours/week (maybe more depending on after school sports etc) at school for 13 years so isn't it a natural assumption that all the skills you have mentioned would be acquired from the school? I think another assumption nowadays is that good colleges seek the well rounded kids who possess all of the traits you mentioned here.

Old 04-06-2021, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocdmama View Post
Am guessing you have a background in education so am curious to know where you perceive the child will learn all the things you have mentioned - from peers? teachers? parents?. A child spends average of 40 hours/week (maybe more depending on after school sports etc) at school for 13 years so isn't it a natural assumption that all the skills you have mentioned would be acquired from the school? I think another assumption nowadays is that good colleges seek the well rounded kids who possess all of the traits you mentioned here.
Yes, I think the student should learn those skills at school (from teachers and peers), reinforced at home. When I evaluate a potential school for my child, those are the things I am looking for. Not, as I said, where they promise my kid will go to college.

Old 04-06-2021, 11:00 AM

1,614 posts, read 2,664,511 times
Avoid Fort Bend ISD for gifted education. Not worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston