Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2021, 04:59 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,982 times

Advertisements

Whether you’re a lifelong Houstonian or relocated here from elsewhere, we all have seen some crazy/interesting things in Houston. Name yours (it can be video footage or your eyewitness account).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2021, 06:16 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,029,766 times
I’ll start... back in the late 1970s I guess Westheimer and Montrose were really “hopping.” Me and a friend of mine decided to go cruising around town and drove down Westheimer through Montrose into downtown. Westheimer was packed with all kinds of interesting characters...transvestites, men in black leather, prostitutes... it was a “coming of age’” moment for us - two kids from the suburbs who had never been exposed to any of that before. That was definitely a crazy/interesting site for us!

The night ended with my car stalling out in front of the Allen Center. I remember Security was nice enough to let us use their phone to call for help. My mom and dad came to get us!

Ironically, my first job out of college was working in the Allen Center, so that has been an enduring memory of mine for many years.

Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 PM

814 posts, read 677,154 times
Back in the late 60's I had early morning sign-on announcer duty at a radio station at Fannin and Gray. I remember the giant rats running into and out of the sewers before dawn. Beagle size !

There were several car dealers downtown until the early 70's. Even a 24 hour car repair shop not far from what is now Toyota Field.

Took a boat ride from the downtown bayou (near the Love St. Light Circus) to the ship channel, passing by the main Houston sewer outlet into the bayou was a mighty big stink. Not recommended.

When they built the tall Ch 2 TV tower some guys were trapped up top when the elevator froze up. Big drama for days until they were rescued.

I attended a meeting downtown back in the '90's and a tornado came through. Long delay getting back out on the road. Newspaper boxes took flight and landed blocks away. This event caused the city to ban gravel roofs downtown which damaged all the big building's windows.

Vivid memory of the KODA-Bird traffic helicopter crash downtown. Tiny helicopter.

Snow at my Houston house in the early 60's, fun times for me as a kid. Two major ice storms in later decades, one where I had to stop driving and start hiking.

Went outside during Hurricane Carla, could not stand up in the wind. That one wiped out all of Houston's 100 year oak trees. Devastated the old "Meyerland Center".

I remember the huge camera store over by the big and popular Alfred's restaurant on Stella Link.

I remember the day in 1956 or so when my parents took me for a ride on the opening day of the city's first freeway (I-45 south).

Anyway, I have a zillion more Houston memories. Most really are of personal rather than general interest. Impressive to remember that Post Oak Rd near what is now the Galleria was a two lane blacktop road.

Most of my interesting memories relate to the change of the small city to a huge one. There was an observation deck on the top of the tallest in town Exxon Building (30 stories?) - good view of the new Dome Stadium from it.

Worked at the Shamrock Hilton several summers running into all sorts of show-biz / Hollywood types and politicians including Ronald Reagan decades before he was president. Huge pool.

It's now a Med Center parking garage.

Used to attend baseball games, the Houston Buffs, stadium became Finger's Furniture on I-45. I think they are gone now too.

Old 04-13-2021, 08:23 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,270,156 times

source

Old 04-14-2021, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
They had balls doing that because a lot of drivers would've probably honked their horns or ran them over at worst.

I wouldn't have noticed this if my wife didn't point it out to me while we were strolling the Galleria this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNuQmWcEm5s&t=18s

Old 04-14-2021, 11:12 AM

8,354 posts, read 5,514,165 times
Lots and lots of prostitutes every time Im on Bissonett after 8 pm.

Old 04-14-2021, 06:52 PM

9,905 posts, read 6,612,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Lots and lots of prostitutes every time Im on Bissonett after 8 pm.
Why are you going there though

Old 04-15-2021, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Lots and lots of prostitutes every time I'm on Bissonett after 8 pm.
Did any of them look like Megan The Stallion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: