Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2021, 12:32 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times

Advertisements

So it seems like as time goes on, Houston Chronicle is more and more becoming trash and so is Houston press. All of the powerful legacy city newspaper companies are becoming dumber by the day all across the country. Even Houstonia is lackluster these days.

I’ve been using Culture Map and their overall portfolio (Innovation Map, Sports Map, etc). They’ve been branching off to other Texas cities too, so I hope they carry the same success here in Dallas, Austin, etc, because they all need it. Paper City is pretty solid too.

Any sources you guys use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2021, 12:54 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,273,721 times
Default None for me...

I use the Chron, free Chron, just to know where new restaurants are opening up. Almost everything else they print is old news already. I don't subscribe, but I doubt it is that good, else I would not be constantly bombarded to subscribe.

The problem is there are no news prints that are not heavily biased at this point. I know you did not ask about electronic, but they are even worse.

I get my news from the US, from European news! I am serious. My wife and kids live in Europe now, and we've been traveling there since our children were born as that is where my wife is from (I'm due to join them this summer). One thing I always noted about news in Europe is that it is boring as shyt, but there is a reason for that...

The news shows in Europe are boring because they don't inject their opinions, or editorialize, or attack. They just report the news. Even the shows in English, they just report, then show video for the most part, but they don't encite a hostile narrative one way or the other, just report. So boring, but refreshing free of politics, and especially, race.

Old 04-20-2021, 05:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,568,183 times
I only rely on KHOU for local news. Chronicle has been garbage for a while; it’s a wonder I’ve supported it for as long as I did.

Old 04-20-2021, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcresHomes44 View Post
I only rely on KHOU for local news. Chronicle has been garbage for a while; it’s a wonder I’ve supported it for as long as I did.
Not a fan of KHOU tho I admit it’s way better than Chronicle. Culture Map is the only local I’ve enjoyed

Old 04-20-2021, 07:13 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,054,486 times
Houston Public Media, mostly radio. They have a few Houston-focused shows that keep you well informed. I also like the Texas Tribune, for reading online.

Old 04-20-2021, 07:18 PM

332 posts, read 261,182 times
When I lived in the Heights area, The Leader was a good read - only focused on north Houston news, no noticeable political slant, good restaurant reviews. I'm not aware of anything like that where I currently live, so I gave Houstonia a try last year. Wasn't really impressed and ended up not renewing my subscription.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 PM

15,439 posts, read 7,497,910 times
The Chronicle pay site is decent, but chron.com is a dumpster fire, although it has been like that for some time. I won' tpay for the full site, so I use the TV stations, NPR site, and such.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
The Chronicle pay site is decent, but chron.com is a dumpster fire, although it has been like that for some time. I won' tpay for the full site, so I use the TV stations, NPR site, and such.
Chron.com is one of the most visited news sites in the USA. Whoever does their SEOs needs to be crowned king for keeping it that way despite how bad that site is. I'm not a fan of pay Chronicle either.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:14 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,027,720 times
I pay for houstonchronicle.com and dallas morning news. For local TV news my family has long been loyal to ABC Eyewitness News.

Old 04-20-2021, 09:23 PM

Culture Map:

https://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/

And their tech focused Innovation Map

https://houston.innovationmap.com

Incase anyone wants to check them out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston