Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2007, 08:29 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjsnyder View Post
just remember your hoa due go up every year. The traffic get worse month by month. I left Housotn after living there for five year. had a House in Cypress. You are going to drive and drive. They will tell you about the hoa dues will go down when more people move in but it goes up my hoa started at 350 and it now up too 655. watch out also for the water they are called mud district. stay off 290 don't live in katy either better yet stay out of Houston go to Colorado
Well no wonder you drove and drove... it was the area you chose to live. Cypress is pretty far out and anything that involves commuting on 290 is bad. There are plenty of great areas of Houston, and you don't have to worry about blizzards like in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Well no wonder you drove and drove... it was the area you chose to live. Cypress is pretty far out and anything that involves commuting on 290 is bad. There are plenty of great areas of Houston, and you don't have to worry about blizzards like in Colorado.
You said it right. 290 is the worst freeway to travel on in all of Houston. Expansion is not going to happen anytime soon (until 2010), either. The Hempstead Tollway is underway (I think), though.

Old 01-04-2007, 09:45 AM

3 posts, read 14,560 times
Smile sherri

Hi,
My first question to you is where you will work; out of your home or somewhere else?

Second, Katy is a growing and bustling suburban community consisting of young families. Their school district is well-known as an excellent school district and their schools are superb. This area is growing rapidly and will soon develop into a huge medical area plus many large businesses are moving in the Katy direction. Housing is booming and no one would ever say, "You moved where?"

Sugar Land is also a neat area and is bustling....their schools can not boast yet of the SAT's of Katy schools but they are moving in that direction. You really cannot go wrong with either place, it is just a matter of which offers you what you want and how you feel about the area itself.

I can point you also in the right direction for a good realtor to work with if you need one. Go into www.har.com and look up the resources for schools and compare the demographics of each school and the SAT's...that should help you a little. If you want more assistance, email me and I will be glad to help out.

Sherri

Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 5,605 times
I have lived in Houston all my life and recently moved from Katy out to Sugar Land. I would say that Sugar Land is the way to go. Katy is the "Hot" pick right now, but the number of lower cost homes will surely change that in the next couple of years. My wife is a realtor and is finding that many people are leaving Katy for Sugar Land.

Katy does have an excellent school system, but Fort Bend is not far behind. Katy also has the highest taxes in Texas which provides the schools with additional funds.

Sugar Land wasn't voted #3 place to live for nothing. If you have more questions send me an email at daversnyder@hotmail.com

Old 01-24-2007, 04:12 PM

6 posts, read 52,131 times
Default moved to katy from there

Quote:
Originally Posted by english_teacher View Post
Both Sugarland and Katy have a reputation has higher-end places but only Sugarland deserves that moniker. The real money is in Sugarland, not to mention the growth etc. Buy a house there. Katy is a pit compared to Sugarland.
i moved to katy in aug of 2006 from inland empire. i love it here the schools are great .homes are great for what you get for the money. people are nice and its clean . weather takes a bit getting used to. it rains alot more then we are used to. over all i think you would like katy we do.

Old 01-28-2007, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 5,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB View Post
Hello folks my wife and I are relocating to the houston area and we are torn between Katy and Sugar Land.
We were wondering how people view each area.

My wife and I live in So.Cal in the Inland Empire. I know this is going to sound pretentious but the general attitude in So.Cal is that IE is where the "lower class" people live and the "upper class" lives in the OC(Orange County).
So what we were wondering is if that same stigma or attitude is attached to katy or any of the surrounding areas.
My wife and I do not have kids so schools are not really a concern. It will be when we decide to sell so the school district is important but not a priority.

Again I know my question is a little on the pretentious side but we don't want buy a house and have people say "you bought a house WHERE?! boy I feel sorry for you"

Any and all replies are apprectiated.

regards,

CPB
Hello, I was reading your question and My family and I are also considering moving to Texas, we also live here in the Inland Impire and for me it's a huge decision, I have heard good and bad the same as out here. I dont know that there is any place that will be 'PERFECT'. If you hear of other towns that I could find out about could you respond and let me know? Have you heard anything about a town called Tomball ?

Old 01-28-2007, 08:32 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,416,050 times
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either places. Katy schools are better (go to schoolmatters.com) but Sugar Land looks nicer.

Fort Bend I.S.D.: 88% in Reading, 76% in Math, Students per Teacher: 16.5, Total Students: 62,657 Economically Disadvantaged: 28.8.

Katy I.S.D.: 90% in Reading, 85% in Math, Student per Teacher: 15.1, Total Students: 44,212, Economically Disadvantaged: 20.3.

These are 2004 numbers from School Matters.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,079 times
Default highliner

To JJP and Guerrilla: your disagreement has apparently reached an impasse. The question now is, are you both ready to go out into the street, and draw iron? After all, there is still such a thing as Texas Honor.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 PM

24 posts, read 219,985 times
Smile From Sugar Land to Katy

We moved to Katy from Sugar Land about 8 years ago, and have never missed Sugar Land! I grew up out there, but we moved out to Katy because we could get a larger/nicer home for the money. My personal opinion is that Katy is more like the traditional family-friendly city that the Sugar Land area use to be. Sugar Land, in terms of development, surpasses Katy...for now, but with the recent developments (ie. LaCenterra), Katy is on its way to more conveniences. I use to teach in Fort Bend ISD, and I am far more impressed with Katy ISD. Fort Bend is good, but Katy schools are pretty impressive. There's just a friendly, neighborly atmostphere that we've found here in Katy (and we've lived in 3 different Katy neighborhoods) that we didn't experience in Sugar Land. Plus, Sugar Land is close to higher-crime areas than out west here in Katy.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:56 AM

246 posts, read 895,084 times
I find most of the crimes are in the south-west area of houston? Am I right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston