Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 08:19 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,452,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failed Engineer View Post
The difference is that the part of Sugar Land that is generally talked about as desirable is south of 90, quite far from Alief/SW Houston.

But I don't think spillover from nearby bad areas is really all that much of a concern for either Sugar Land or Katy. Reality is this is Houston and you are never far from a downtrodden part of town no matter where you live.
It's 2-3 miles from US 90A to the southern border of Alief ISD, the Harris County line. That's about the same distance to the grocery store for most people in Cinco Ranch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
This is true, but the same could be said about Sugarland as well.
South of 90, S.L. is clustered into three developments, First Colony, Telfair, and New Territory. It was common in the '90s to build circular arterial roads that First Colony and New Territory have. Katy is an extension of the Houston grid, albeit tilted 45 degrees, hence the sprawl.

Quote:
With all due respect, crazy talk. It won't happen for this area. The areas primed for that sort of development is along 99, so hopefully the few remaining greenspaces along 99 east of Pecan Grove develop that way. Since SW and W Houston are already fully built out past 99, it would seem that most of the growth of large scale MPC's will be taking place in the NW over the next 10-15 years.
The sprawl is projected to extend all the way to Wharton on I-69 and Sealy on I-10. Sealy is the most likely candidate because of all the development that keeps going down the Katy Freeway. The center of population has shifted to I-10 W and BW-8.

Won't be surprised in a decade, companies are moving out of Memorial City/West Memorial to new skyscrapers further down I-10 where big-box stores, car dealerships, and chain restaurants are sitting right now. Mason Creek Corporate is a glimpse of the future right now. The Energy Corridor shifts/moves further west!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 11:37 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbur View Post
This is a good point.

This is true, but the same could be said about Sugarland as well.

You have some good points, but the Mason corridor isn't likely to boom that much given the neighborhoods around it, plus only a portion of it is still going to be within KISD boundaries. The NW part of Katy with a lot of open fields just outside of 99 is really promising in terms of potential development though. I could see Katy having a larger population of upper middle class residents than Sugarland before it's all said and done, but that's trying to look 20-30 years into the future. That doesn't reasonably affect life in Katy at present really.

With all due respect, crazy talk. It won't happen for this area. The areas primed for that sort of development is along 99, so hopefully the few remaining greenspaces along 99 east of Pecan Grove develop that way. Since SW and W Houston are already fully built out past 99, it would seem that most of the growth of large scale MPC's will be taking place in the NW over the next 10-15 years.
Which part of my last part of the post is crazy talk? I was talking about distant future with Richmond and a little of my unrealistic dreams for the Fort Bend County area of Houston to have at least a couple urban nodes in the traditional towns, For example, the towns of Katy, Fulshear, Richmond, Rosenberg are already grids. It would be cool if they had Town Centers like they do in small English towns. We already have two small ones like LaCenterra and Sugar Land Town Center. But most of the people go to First Colony and Katy Mills malls.

I also don't expect all of Richmond/ Lamar CISD to be filled in but I expect it to be kind of like how it is right now, things developing in spots around the area. Also I like Geography a lot, so from what I studied looking at the area. I expect Richmond/ Lamar CISD to develop communities first in the Northern part bordering Katy such as Bella Terra and in the Southern part near Sugar Land and the towns of Richmond and Rosenberg itself. I also expect smaller neighborhoods to possibly develop near Simonton and Fulshear. Since Lamar CISD covers a large area I expect it to eventually break up into several school districts owned by the independent towns.

Little Sidenote:

Also did you here what happened in Katy, Texas in the past week?
Although this is unrelated in the last week three people have been killed in the Katy Area all three south of I-ten and all three in domestic violence cases that involved a woman/ love triangles.
Here is the articles to the murders that happened last week, one of them isn't even 3 miles away from me.
Names Released In The Cinco Ranch Shootings - Covering Katy 2 people died, one suicide.
Dennis Gibson Charged With Murder In Katy Domestic Disturbance - Covering Katy
Although no one has died directly related to a crime we have had a couple domestic violence incidents. surprised one happened South of 1-10 never would have thought of 2 happening within a couple miles of each other. I guess this is what happens when you have 300,000 living in the area (Katy overall murder rate might be over 1 per 100k for the first time in nearly a decade, back when the Katy area had a much smaller population). Although when I think about it statistically Katy's homicide rate is similar to Japan's on most years and would compare favorably with cities like London or Birmingham. It is hard to feel safe when people get killed in areas you frequent quite often. Most people claim North Katy is the ghetto part but I have only heard 1 murder up north and now their has been 4 down here.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:45 PM

6,474 posts, read 4,073,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's 2-3 miles from US 90A to the southern border of Alief ISD, the Harris County line. That's about the same distance to the grocery store for most people in Cinco Ranch.

South of 90, S.L. is clustered into three developments, First Colony, Telfair, and New Territory. It was common in the '90s to build circular arterial roads that First Colony and New Territory have. Katy is an extension of the Houston grid, albeit tilted 45 degrees, hence the sprawl.

The sprawl is projected to extend all the way to Wharton on I-69 and Sealy on I-10. Sealy is the most likely candidate because of all the development that keeps going down the Katy Freeway. The center of population has shifted to I-10 W and BW-8.

Won't be surprised in a decade, companies are moving out of Memorial City/West Memorial to new skyscrapers further down I-10 where big-box stores, car dealerships, and chain restaurants are sitting right now. Mason Creek Corporate is a glimpse of the future right now. The Energy Corridor shifts/moves further west!
Not sure how to double quote,

but Kerr Town, I eventually expect Fort Bend County to reach 1 million by the time I graduate or within 5 years (Class of 2018). Montgomery is already approaching half a million, Brazoria is growing because of SE Missouri City Area (The small towns that people mistake for MO Cit but are actually independent communities (Fresno, Texas) and mostly Pearland. Galveston County is growing quickly and is already urbanized/ covered in sprawl from North to South just very low density. I eventually expect more people to live in some of the eastern counties like Liberty and Chambers, when people realize Columbus, Texas is a hell of a commute but we will see. Also I expect Waller County to grow, but the Sandra Bland thing might affect certain people from moving into that area.

Old 12-02-2015, 09:00 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

You really think that Sealy will be next in the growth?

Old 12-02-2015, 10:38 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
Which part of my last part of the post is crazy talk? I was talking about distant future with Richmond and a little of my unrealistic dreams for the Fort Bend County area of Houston to have at least a couple urban nodes in the traditional towns, For example, the towns of Katy, Fulshear, Richmond, Rosenberg are already grids. It would be cool if they had Town Centers like they do in small English towns. We already have two small ones like LaCenterra and Sugar Land Town Center. But most of the people go to First Colony and Katy Mills malls.

I also don't expect all of Richmond/ Lamar CISD to be filled in but I expect it to be kind of like how it is right now, things developing in spots around the area. Also I like Geography a lot, so from what I studied looking at the area. I expect Richmond/ Lamar CISD to develop communities first in the Northern part bordering Katy such as Bella Terra and in the Southern part near Sugar Land and the towns of Richmond and Rosenberg itself. I also expect smaller neighborhoods to possibly develop near Simonton and Fulshear. Since Lamar CISD covers a large area I expect it to eventually break up into several school districts owned by the independent towns.

Little Sidenote:

Also did you here what happened in Katy, Texas in the past week?
Although this is unrelated in the last week three people have been killed in the Katy Area all three south of I-ten and all three in domestic violence cases that involved a woman/ love triangles.
Here is the articles to the murders that happened last week, one of them isn't even 3 miles away from me.
Names Released In The Cinco Ranch Shootings - Covering Katy 2 people died, one suicide.
Dennis Gibson Charged With Murder In Katy Domestic Disturbance - Covering Katy
Although no one has died directly related to a crime we have had a couple domestic violence incidents. surprised one happened South of 1-10 never would have thought of 2 happening within a couple miles of each other. I guess this is what happens when you have 300,000 living in the area (Katy overall murder rate might be over 1 per 100k for the first time in nearly a decade, back when the Katy area had a much smaller population). Although when I think about it statistically Katy's homicide rate is similar to Japan's on most years and would compare favorably with cities like London or Birmingham. It is hard to feel safe when people get killed in areas you frequent quite often. Most people claim North Katy is the ghetto part but I have only heard 1 murder up north and now their has been 4 down here.
The part where you suggested that the Richmond/Lamar CISD area would eventually fill in with Woodlands type MPC's and/or town centers. It is sparsely populated old country style neighborhoods strung along both sides of the Brazos river. There's not enough infrastructure or major thoroughfare roadways in that area to support those types of developments adequately. Only shot of another viable 'town center' in that area would be along the one remaining stretch of open fields along 99 between Katy and Sugarland. I don't disagree with your other points in the previous post or the rest of your points in this one though. I don't doubt that Houston's urban sprawl won't continue westward (or SW) along I-10 and I-59, but I do think that the corridor along 99 between I-10 and 290 will explode first as it is comparatively much closer in and directly off of a freeway, but as that's exploding in growth over the next 10-20 years, the sprawl will also continue to expand W and SW. I'm just proposing for the next decade or two it's going to be at a slower pace until all the land that's along 99 much closer in than Sealy fills in. Once all that land on both sides of 99 fills in, then I think we go back to the trend of exploding growth along I-10.

Quote:
I eventually expect Fort Bend County to reach 1 million by the time I graduate or within 5 years (Class of 2018).
Add a 0 to that 5 and maybe I'll agree; Fort Bend County has roughly 680k now and it has an annual growth rate around 30k, (and that was during the boom years). I'm not saying it won't happen, but it's not happening that soon. I admire the enthusiasm and visionist perspective on that part of town though. This area will need another freeway or some type of bus transit system in order to really develop these urban town centers like you describe, that and a cohesive grid that connects all these townships beyond 2 lane country roads, especially if there's supposed to be 1 million + people like you've proposed. Perhaps really vet out some of these ideas and submit them to Ft. Bend County one day.

Quote:
Also I expect Waller County to grow, but the Sandra Bland thing might affect certain people from moving into that area.
Perhaps in Prairie View itself, but I highly doubt any of that effects the suburbs that are going to go up just west of the Harris county line north of I-10. Like I said, SW and W are very built out as of now, I think we're going to see a temporary shift NW before for a decade or two before shifting back W. Looking out that far is tricky anyways, because what if peak oil occurs in 20 years and living in the suburbs becomes completely not viable anymore and all the places of value become the inner city again. That's already somewhat happening now without any strong market forces like the one I just described acting on it.

Last edited by curbur; 12-02-2015 at 10:59 AM..

Old 12-02-2015, 10:39 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
You really think that Sealy will be next in the growth?
The southern part of Katy ISD (considered the most desirable part) is nearly built out. There is still growth that will happen in the northern part of Lamar CISD, which is also considered desirable, but even that will run out eventually, and home prices in the corridor between the Katy Freeway and FM 1093 have been getting more aggressive - to be tempered in the short term by the energy sector slowdown, but never to be "cheap" again.

The next area west to develop would seem to be Royal ISD, but your average educated homebuyer will likely avoid it due to a poor reputation. Thus Sealy ISD would be the logical place for growth to jump to, skipping Brookshire, especially if developers think they can satisfy a more affordable housing market focused on the $175K - $275K price range (in terms of today's pricing). This is still a few years off, though.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:06 AM

1,347 posts, read 1,821,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The southern part of Katy ISD (considered the most desirable part) is nearly built out. There is still growth that will happen in the northern part of Lamar CISD, which is also considered desirable, but even that will run out eventually, and home prices in the corridor between the Katy Freeway and FM 1093 have been getting more aggressive - to be tempered in the short term by the energy sector slowdown, but never to be "cheap" again.

The next area west to develop would seem to be Royal ISD, but your average educated homebuyer will likely avoid it due to a poor reputation. Thus Sealy ISD would be the logical place for growth to jump to, skipping Brookshire, especially if developers think they can satisfy a more affordable housing market focused on the $175K - $275K price range (in terms of today's pricing). This is still a few years off, though.
I agree with all this, but I think that the land along 99 will fill in faster and the growth out towards or in Sealy won't really pick up until that's starting to fill in more. I think a lot of people are going to somewhat prefer living in Sealy, but do a sanity check on distance and opt to live somewhere 20-30 min closer in.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:07 AM

2,188 posts, read 3,217,718 times
Lol....Sandra bland has nothing to do with growth..lol

Worse has happened in Houston but if the area is desirable they will come

The daiken plant has pretty much accelerated stone creek ranch and on Katy hockley there are 2 new neighborhoods being built and a kb homes community coming

The one off Katy hockley has no street lights

Old 12-02-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post

Brookshire (extreme eastern portions) is slowly being swallowed up by growth. I think people and developers are marketing the respective area as Katy and Fulshear.

Old 12-02-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post
Lol....Sandra bland has nothing to do with growth..lol

Worse has happened in Houston but if the area is desirable they will come

The daiken plant has pretty much accelerated stone creek ranch and on Katy hockley there are 2 new neighborhoods being built and a kb homes community coming

The one off Katy hockley has no street lights
I forgot about the plant! That plant is going to "help" extend Houston northwest towards Prairie View. Soon, PV will be the suburbs. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston