Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 10:32 AM
CPB CPB started this thread

1 posts, read 26,399 times

Advertisements

Hello folks my wife and I are relocating to the houston area and we are torn between Katy and Sugar Land.
We were wondering how people view each area.

My wife and I live in So.Cal in the Inland Empire. I know this is going to sound pretentious but the general attitude in So.Cal is that IE is where the "lower class" people live and the "upper class" lives in the OC(Orange County).
So what we were wondering is if that same stigma or attitude is attached to katy or any of the surrounding areas.
My wife and I do not have kids so schools are not really a concern. It will be when we decide to sell so the school district is important but not a priority.

Again I know my question is a little on the pretentious side but we don't want buy a house and have people say "you bought a house WHERE?! boy I feel sorry for you"

Any and all replies are apprectiated.

regards,

CPB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2006, 12:16 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,477,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPB
Hello folks my wife and I are relocating to the houston area and we are torn between Katy and Sugar Land.
We were wondering how people view each area.

My wife and I live in So.Cal in the Inland Empire. I know this is going to sound pretentious but the general attitude in So.Cal is that IE is where the "lower class" people live and the "upper class" lives in the OC(Orange County).
So what we were wondering is if that same stigma or attitude is attached to katy or any of the surrounding areas.
My wife and I do not have kids so schools are not really a concern. It will be when we decide to sell so the school district is important but not a priority.

Again I know my question is a little on the pretentious side but we don't want buy a house and have people say "you bought a house WHERE?! boy I feel sorry for you"

Any and all replies are apprectiated.

regards,

CPB
I would go with Katy. Sugar Land has some beautiful homes and nice shopping but crime is on the rise there. Please pm me if u need more info.

Old 05-22-2006, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 31,515 times
Default Sugar Land or Katy???

Both are good areas - but within these good areas there are some terrific communities. I think it will be good for you to narrow down the best communities in both these areas and then view a few properties in those areas.

I live in New Territory in Sugar land, an unbelievably lush green community with exemplary rated schools and excellent amenities, including a multimillion dollar private Club included. Apart from the wonderful, clean deed restricted look and feel of this area, the club was quite unique and not to be found anywhere around in Houston in other communities including Katy. Ofcourse, most communities have a few tennis courts, couple of swimming pools etc..But you've got to visit New Territory to believe what it includes...imagine having huge number of tennis courts, indoor gyms, weightrooms, baseball parks, nearly 20 or more soccer fields etc... unbelievable.

I moved in 5 years back into New Territory and love the place and am in the process of making a move up by purchasing a bigger home (closing june). If you want to know how much I love the community, I am buying in the same community my new home as well!

Feel free to email me if you need more info of this area. Also, I can put you in touch with some realtors who know this area, if you so desire.

cheers, netmonkey

Old 10-07-2006, 02:38 PM

101 posts, read 247,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netmonkey View Post
Ofcourse, most communities have a few tennis courts, couple of swimming pools etc..But you've got to visit New Territory to believe what it includes...imagine having huge number of tennis courts, indoor gyms, weightrooms, baseball parks, nearly 20 or more soccer fields etc... unbelievable.
How much does HOA fee cost per month with all these benefits? Do they include lawn mowing? Do they usually include all the the benefits above or you would have to pay more if you join the gyms, weightrooms, etc.

I heard that electricity in Houston, due to the size of the houses and the heat, can cost around 500/month, it's almost like paying another mortgage.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:12 AM

7 posts, read 44,213 times
Default Sugarland or Katy?

I have lived in the Katy area for over 8 years. It is a wonderful place to live. I would certainly drive both area and compare all features and amenities. While you state schools are not your main focus, I am glad you are aware of the impact specific school performance will have on your property value when and if you decide to sell.

There is a general misconception about Katy. Old Towne Katy proper is a quaint community and is generally located north of Interstate 10. The main growth of our area, located South of Interstate 10 along The Grand Parkway or (99), is also identified as "Katy" but is actually an unincorporated area that includes several nationally recognized master planned communities such as Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, etc. Please, do not let the small-town moniker of "Katy" fool you. We have everything that the big city offers but with the small town feel.

I wish you luck on your decision.

Old 10-09-2006, 12:36 PM

3 posts, read 32,287 times
i am a realtor in this area.. and you have gotten good advice so far. North Katy is building out fast and inexpensively and is leaving current homeowners in the area upside down on value - so stay AWAY from that part. South of 1-10 is fine, and Sugar Land is great - the "classy" shopping and dining is moving out that way. I have to say, get a professional and honest realtor to help you - the right one WILL save you time AND money!
JULIA IN SUGAR LAND

Old 10-10-2006, 11:57 AM

14 posts, read 134,541 times
I used to live in Katy and moved about 12 years ago due to the increasing number of crime and gangs. The Katy Mills Mall area has the highest crime rate in Katy. I would say Sugar Land, but as with all suburbs of Houston you are going to be facing some crime. It is a pretty area. However KISD will pick your pocket due to their never ending spending spree and lack of budget control. Whichever area you pick look out for areas prone to flooding and try to pick a street to live on that won't end up as a major thoroughfare.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:32 PM

74 posts, read 291,332 times
Default Sugarland

Hi, I'm a realtor/mortgage brkr who's lived in southwest houston for about 17 years. I lived in Alief which is a little closer to Sugarland than Katy. Raised three children with no problems. I currently live in Conroe and don't get to houston much anymore.

Crime in the Alief area has increased tremendously with some of it spilling out into the surrounding areas. One can't turn on the t.v. without seeing some horrific incident.

My recommendation would definitly be Sugarland, First Colony over Katy but, the best advice is to work with a realtor who specializes in that area. Reason being.....Houston is so large that there's good and bad no matter where you go......The main thing about the sugarland, first colony area I like is the strong police presence in both areas, especially First Colony which usually keeps the State Police covering Hwy 90.

You should have no problem finding someone you feel comfortable working with.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:50 AM

6 posts, read 45,092 times
Smile Move To Katy

I Have Lived In Katy For Eleven Years And Spent My Summers Here In Katy When I Was Growing Up. I Will Say From A Realtor's View Althougth I Am Not Currently Working But Do Keep Myself Updated On All Current Housing Market Areas. I Would Recommend Katy For You And Your Wife. Here Are The Reasons For My Choice. Number Ine Katy Is In The Highly Acclaimed Katy Isd Schoold District. Sugarland Is The Second Best School District Located In Fort Bend Isd. Yes The School Taxes Are A Bit High However This Does Not Detour Prospective Home Buyers From Moving To Katy. Number Two Easy Access For Commuters You Have I-10 And The Hov Lanes, Westpark Tollway But You Need An Ez-tag Sticker To Use This Tollway. You Have Grand Parkway 99 To Travel, Westheimer Parkway To Travel Also. Number Three The Crime Statistics Are Lower Than Sugarland. The South Side Of Katy Is Better Than Being On The North Side Of Katy. The Katy Community Has Great Shopping Stores, Dining, Entertainment, Churches, Civic Clubs, Festivals Such As The Katy Rice Harvest Festival. Katy Has Some Of The Best Established Neighborhoods Like Cinco Ranch, Grand Lakes And Seven Meadows. These Communities Are Master Planned Neighborhoods With All Your Basic Essential Shopping Needs In Your Area. For Example The Brand New Cental Market Heb Is Conviently Located Between Seven Meadows And Grand Lakes And Close For Those In Cinco Ranch, Dry Cleaners, Doctors, Hair And Nail Salons, Preschools And All Other Schools, Recreational Areas Such As Lakes For Fishing, Great Golfing Greens For The Golf Enthusiasts, Fantastic Parks,walking Trails And Bike Trails, Swimming Pools, Tennis Courts Ect. The Point Is Sugarland Is Nice However Compare The Crime Verses Katy, New Territory Is Nice But It Does Not Compare To Katy Neighborhoods. Katy Is A Place That You Cn Right At Ome Immediatley With Its Great Southern Hospitality And Southern Charm. Katy Is More Than An Area Katy Is A Place That Focuses On Family And Katy And Its Residents Have Hearts As Big As Texas! Katy Is A Community That Is Well Respected And Loved By All And Makes Even Those That Do Not Live Here Fell Right At Home Home.

Old 12-24-2006, 05:48 PM

41 posts, read 260,698 times
Default Chelsea Harbor vs. Cinco ranch, how to decide???

Hi, I am new here, we are moving from Southern CA to Houston. please advise what school district is better, sugar land or katy? how about tax rate? how about commuting to Houston?

Specifically, please give your opinion about Chelsea Harbor vs. Cinco ranch. they are both high on our list to purchase a house, but I don't know the pros & cons of the two...

Happy Holidays!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston