Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2021, 10:50 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,371,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ym2m11 View Post
You notice that on I-35 there is much more activity-Austin/San Antonio, but also Waco, Temple, San Marcos.

On other hand, I-45 doesn't seem to have anything! After Woodlands, it's a desert! I am not living in TX now but just was thinking about it, why? Why didn't other cities spring up on I-45? Why do people go live in Tyler for example and not along I-45? Seems strange
I think having the Colorado and Brazos rivers course through much of central Texas were factors in having more towns created along I -35. Then you have towns with colleges like Baylor (again by the Brazos), TSU in San Marcos, close to several rivers and the state capital. Last, the US Government chose to put a big military installation in Killeen and also in likely due to its central location and not tearing up a bunch of timberland if it was farther east. New Braunfels grew I believe from its 30 mile proximity to San Antonio, sort of like Conroe is to Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2021, 02:11 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,737,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
It's interesting though that the Sabine never gave birth to any major population centers, despite once being an important waterway. Marshall used to be one of the largest, most advanced cities in Texas, bigger than Dallas and Austin at one point. Today it's just a small town frozen in time.
Either side of the Sabine was only fit for outlaws. It's a nasty river that will swell & obliterate anything developed next to it.

Old 06-02-2021, 06:22 PM

1,168 posts, read 782,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Either side of the Sabine was only fit for outlaws. It's a nasty river that will swell & obliterate anything developed next to it.
Like the Trinity does in Dallas?

Old 06-04-2021, 02:19 PM

4,440 posts, read 6,324,713 times
Dallas was settled where it is as a crossing rather than navigable reasons.

Old 01-19-2022, 06:41 AM

5 posts, read 4,308 times
Allow me to point out the Elephant. Commerce with Mexico?

Old 01-19-2022, 06:47 AM

224 posts, read 263,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
I think having the Colorado and Brazos rivers course through much of central Texas were factors in having more towns created along I -35. Then you have towns with colleges like Baylor (again by the Brazos), TSU in San Marcos, close to several rivers and the state capital. Last, the US Government chose to put a big military installation in Killeen and also in likely due to its central location and not tearing up a bunch of timberland if it was farther east. New Braunfels grew I believe from its 30 mile proximity to San Antonio, sort of like Conroe is to Houston.
New Braunfels was founded as a milling town for German immigrants, thus the name, due to its proximity to the Guadalupe. Recent growth driven by tourism of the river/tubing, Schlitterbahn (pre-scandal) and a gateway to Canyon lake

Old 01-28-2022, 07:57 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,833,367 times
Keep in mind there are National Forests, parks, and private logging lands between Houston and Dallas.

If you are a farmer using the land to grow trees, or if there is a National park/ forest, cities don't just pop up in them.

Also, trade with Mexico may also be a factor. I 35 is sometimes referred to as the NAFTA super highway.

And central Texas is more dry so I would imagine that it makes more sense to maintain large parks and forests along 45, while protections along 35 would be weaker.

Also, I would imagine that it would be easier for central and North Texas to grow toward each other as San Antonio, Austin, Waco and DFW are sizeable cities regularly spaced on 35. I guess if 45 had a major city every 100 miles, the spaces in between would be filled in too, but since there are parks and private logging lands in between that wasn't allowed to happen. With Sam Houston National Forest between Conroe and Huntsville Houston's sprawl is at least contained on the north end. To jump the park and sprawl past Huntsville doesn't really make economic sense

Old 01-28-2022, 10:31 AM

11,157 posts, read 7,224,363 times
League City, Webster, Conroe, Huntsville, etc. Whatcha talkin' Willis?!?

Old 02-03-2022, 09:59 PM

18,145 posts, read 25,349,905 times
Here’s your answer

Old 02-04-2022, 09:53 AM

6,517 posts, read 7,574,892 times
This graphic is claiming that there is more freight coming up 281 from McAllen up to San Antonio and beyond than up IH 35 from Laredo to San Antonio and beyond. I find that hard to believe. If this were true, 281 would've been made a actual interstate many years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston