Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 09:43 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,325,871 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
We need those funds to complete projects that, in many cases, are already underway. I dont know if you go to Meyerland, but I live there and I can already see a huge difference since Harvey. They are widening Braes Bayou and have made modifications to roads. The proof is that streets that always flood never do anymore no matter how hard it rains and the Braes is far less full than it would normally get after a heavy rain.

Things ARE getting done. I credit Lina Hidalgo with a lot of it. She's been absolutely great on this issue.
That is good to hear, I remember the countless floods in the area, but it has been a long time in the 'pipeline'. All the way back to the 80s as I recall, when Aramco was there at Beechnut and 610... what's that, almost 40 years ago!

Here is the problem, the Rain Fee was included on a ballot and the sole purpose was to pay for projects as you mention, but then the City quietly changed the language after they lost in court as to whether it was a tax, or a fee, because how those get approved depends on whether it is a tax, or fee. BTW, there are people reading this that weren't even born when this came about!

Anyway, after the change, the City used the Rain Fee money to pay off debt, to balance their budget, and other urgent projects. That was not on the ballot that I voted on. Bait and switch. Again, the politicians who did this did not give a shyt about what the taxpayers had to say about it, and did it in a sneaky way. Why? Because they know if they told the truth, it would not have been approved.

The City of Houston got their wrists slapped, but the fee is still with us. It was only supposed to be there for 20 years, but they wrote in language so that it could be extended, not by a vote of the citizens, but by City Council. Does anyone want to guess what they have done?

So they get this Rain Fee revenue, and spend just a small amount on actual flood mitigation, because the law requires them to. The rest, some 75-80% goes to OTHER projects. So it is like double-billing by the City. 'Back to what I said, no responsibility to manage funds correctly, and most importantly, no accountability.

BTW, this is not Rocket-Science to uncover. Be a sleuth, go and do Internet searches on the subject, you will see how this has been mismanaged. You'll find data on both sides, but a majority of it will be pointing out how the City has abused the funds.

Last edited by HookTheBrotherUp; 05-26-2021 at 09:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 06:21 PM

15,714 posts, read 7,725,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
That is good to hear, I remember the countless floods in the area, but it has been a long time in the 'pipeline'. All the way back to the 80s as I recall, when Aramco was there at Beechnut and 610... what's that, almost 40 years ago!

Here is the problem, the Rain Fee was included on a ballot and the sole purpose was to pay for projects as you mention, but then the City quietly changed the language after they lost in court as to whether it was a tax, or a fee, because how those get approved depends on whether it is a tax, or fee. BTW, there are people reading this that weren't even born when this came about!

Anyway, after the change, the City used the Rain Fee money to pay off debt, to balance their budget, and other urgent projects. That was not on the ballot that I voted on. Bait and switch. Again, the politicians who did this did not give a shyt about what the taxpayers had to say about it, and did it in a sneaky way. Why? Because they know if they told the truth, it would not have been approved.

The City of Houston got their wrists slapped, but the fee is still with us. It was only supposed to be there for 20 years, but they wrote in language so that it could be extended, not by a vote of the citizens, but by City Council. Does anyone want to guess what they have done?

So they get this Rain Fee revenue, and spend just a small amount on actual flood mitigation, because the law requires them to. The rest, some 75-80% goes to OTHER projects. So it is like double-billing by the City. 'Back to what I said, no responsibility to manage funds correctly, and most importantly, no accountability.

BTW, this is not Rocket-Science to uncover. Be a sleuth, go and do Internet searches on the subject, you will see how this has been mismanaged. You'll find data on both sides, but a majority of it will be pointing out how the City has abused the funds.
The rain fee was not used to pay debt, nor was it used on projects not involving drainage. There was no 20 year limit on the ballot either. I have found no evidence of abuse, but there is a lot of misinformation spread by people with no knowledge of accounting.

Old 05-27-2021, 03:50 PM
kwr

254 posts, read 496,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
We need those funds to complete projects that, in many cases, are already underway. I dont know if you go to Meyerland, but I live there and I can already see a huge difference since Harvey. They are widening Braes Bayou and have made modifications to roads. The proof is that streets that always flood never do anymore no matter how hard it rains and the Braes is far less full than it would normally get after a heavy rain.

Things ARE getting done. I credit Lina Hidalgo with a lot of it. She's been absolutely great on this issue.
My buddy who lives in Meyerland says the same thing.

Old 05-27-2021, 08:34 PM

4,752 posts, read 3,007,504 times
It's a shame it took several historical floods for flood control to be taken more seriously in Houston but better late than never as they say. Glad yall can move around the neighborhood when it rains versus being stranded wherever you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston