Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM

30 posts, read 109,804 times

Advertisements

Hello!

How does this work in Texas? Say your kids start out going to the school that's closest to where you live... and then for whatever reason it's not a good fit. Can you have your kids attend a different school? I'm sure we would have to drive them which wouldn't be a problem--- but I was curious if that is even an option.

If anyone knows how that works or if anyone has had that experience I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks so much!

Lance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 11:55 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance View Post
Hello!

How does this work in Texas? Say your kids start out going to the school that's closest to where you live... and then for whatever reason it's not a good fit. Can you have your kids attend a different school? I'm sure we would have to drive them which wouldn't be a problem--- but I was curious if that is even an option.

If anyone knows how that works or if anyone has had that experience I would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks so much!

Lance
Depends on the district...

Within Houston ISD, you may send your kids to a separate school depending on the transfer used...

If your kids get into a magnet program, they are entitled to school bus transit if they live more than two miles from their school. http://www.houstonisd.org/Departments/site_front/0,3121,28991668,00.html (broken link) describes Houston ISD's magnet programs.

If you use a regular transfer (some schools take regular transfers, some take magnet transfers), you will have to provide your own transportation or rely on the city bus system.

If living in another district, wants to attend Houston ISD:
* Hard to get into - if the school accepts your kid, unless you are a Houston ISD employee, you will have to pay a yearly tuition and provide your own transportation or rely on a city bus

Houston ISD recently changes its rules for employee children living outside of Houston ISD: http://www.houstonisd.org/HISD/portal/article/front/0,2731,20856_142973398_201408223,00.html (broken link)

* Other inter-district scenarios
Call the school districts involved
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston