Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2021, 04:58 PM

16 posts, read 15,946 times

Advertisements

I’ve notice in the previous thread, people were missing way too much information and judging specifically off of titles. Don’t get me wrong, I think GLO and Texas Republicans are full of it, but lets blame them for what they do. If you’re not going to read into it, don’t bother pretending you know the entire story off of a simple title and one or two paragraphs.

For starters, GLO did grant many Houston area funds. particularly Baytown and Pearland (both who need it way more than most of the city of Houston). Second of all, people are missing that a lot of projects have been underway and results ARE showing. I’m sorry, but if you saw how much rain we got last week and you don’t see the improvements from the same caliber events 4 years ago, then you’re either new here or forget too easily. Not to mention, many projects have been underway already. Yes, I 100% disagree with their decision and we still need more projects to reach our reachable goals, but let’s be real here.

I’ll also add one thing. If you expect things to get fixed overnight, you may as well leave. No matter how much money is spent and how hard people work, it’s a process. We are barely 3 years deep in 10 year projects. I’m tires of people saying “but we are still..” OF COURSE WE ARE. Projects didn’t get started at all until 2018. I’m personally happy with the results we have had so far. I would like to be further ahead, but as a realist I know it’s impossible. As long as we are moving forward, I’m okay. If we are falling behind or standing still, then I’m fed up. And I do fear that as we get these rain events and improvements are made, we forget the past and stop the funds. But so far, that hasn’t been the case. But whoever expects perfection merely a couple of years after rock bottom, dream on and move. We have had a completely flipped shift in local government and as you saw how they managed to get this situation (GLO decision) flipped, we see they are serious.

That said, despite awful decision making, I would thank George P. Bush for realizing he was wrong and over turning this and thanks to local leaders (bi-partisan, not just Lina and Sylvester) for getting this done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 09:06 AM

2,551 posts, read 4,061,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rydealong View Post
I’ve notice in the previous thread, people were missing way too much information and judging specifically off of titles. Don’t get me wrong, I think GLO and Texas Republicans are full of it, but lets blame them for what they do. If you’re not going to read into it, don’t bother pretending you know the entire story off of a simple title and one or two paragraphs.

For starters, GLO did grant many Houston area funds. particularly Baytown and Pearland (both who need it way more than most of the city of Houston). Second of all, people are missing that a lot of projects have been underway and results ARE showing. I’m sorry, but if you saw how much rain we got last week and you don’t see the improvements from the same caliber events 4 years ago, then you’re either new here or forget too easily. Not to mention, many projects have been underway already. Yes, I 100% disagree with their decision and we still need more projects to reach our reachable goals, but let’s be real here.

I’ll also add one thing. If you expect things to get fixed overnight, you may as well leave. No matter how much money is spent and how hard people work, it’s a process. We are barely 3 years deep in 10 year projects. I’m tires of people saying “but we are still..” OF COURSE WE ARE. Projects didn’t get started at all until 2018. I’m personally happy with the results we have had so far. I would like to be further ahead, but as a realist I know it’s impossible. As long as we are moving forward, I’m okay. If we are falling behind or standing still, then I’m fed up. And I do fear that as we get these rain events and improvements are made, we forget the past and stop the funds. But so far, that hasn’t been the case. But whoever expects perfection merely a couple of years after rock bottom, dream on and move. We have had a completely flipped shift in local government and as you saw how they managed to get this situation (GLO decision) flipped, we see they are serious.

That said, despite awful decision making, I would thank George P. Bush for realizing he was wrong and over turning this and thanks to local leaders (bi-partisan, not just Lina and Sylvester) for getting this done.
"I would like to thank George P. Bush for realizing that if he wants to run for State Attorney General, he will need votes from Texas's largest city."

Fixed it for you!

Old 05-28-2021, 12:05 PM

3,184 posts, read 2,073,455 times
"Asking for" and "receiving" are two different things.

I'll look more kindly on it when the money is actually procured.

Old 05-29-2021, 04:07 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,036,538 times
[quote=houston-nomad;61136749]"I would like to thank George P. Bush for realizing that if he wants to run for State Attorney General, he will need votes from Texas's largest city."

Fixed it for you![/QUOTE

That!!! PART!!!

Old 05-31-2021, 11:42 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,291,306 times
Default Enough?

When we hear about "studies", they usually run in the millions, so I'm thinking, is $750 million enough? An environmental impact study can cost $450 million. 'Seems like a token to me. Yeah, he looked at the temperature, and does not like the heat! Not enough in my opinion, not even enough for a bulldozer to get started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston