Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2021, 09:50 AM

4,376 posts, read 4,616,320 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at homes in Westbury and I'm noticing there's a lot of renovated Homes for under 350K. I've been through Westbury briefly a couple of times but could never get a good feel for the area. I wasn't interested in the area at the time to really get a grasp of the community. But I was curious as to why the homes in this area were more affordable yet nicely remolded? Usually that's a early sign of gentrification in any other city. But this is Houston and I'm wondering if this also due to flooding in the area. I see the area is not too far from the Willow waterhole greenway. If anyone is familiar with this area please give me as much info as possible. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2021, 09:56 AM

2,547 posts, read 4,050,326 times
Westbury is really large, it really depends on what area you're looking in. Large parts of Westbury don't flood at all, but there are areas near the Willow Waterhole Bayou that flood often.

Overall, it's a great neighborhood. I've been in this area for 12 years or so, it didn't need gentrification then and still doesn't. It's just a solid middle-class to upper-middle-class neighborhood. I think prices have stayed low because Westbury High School has had a bad reputation for years, even though it's improved tremendously. And maybe prices have stayed low because some white people don't want to live near POC. (So those folks can go spend three times as much to live a mile away in Bellaire, that's fine, we'd rather not have them as neighbors.)

Old 05-28-2021, 11:25 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Very little of Westbury floods. Just the areas by the bayous.

Old 05-28-2021, 02:11 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,437,184 times
Renovated houses under 350k are generally either (1) on the smaller side, (2) zoned to a less desirable elementary (Parker is the one you want), or (3) flooded in some degree. As was mentioned, for its age, it's a VERY large neighborhood...you have Westbury South on the low end and Parkwest on the higher end.

If you find a renovated house under 350k that didn't flood AND is zoned to Parker, I would be surprised. Post some links here if you want feedback with specific examples.

Old 05-28-2021, 04:35 PM

2,187 posts, read 3,214,982 times
Just had that conversation with someone the other night - can't beat location but it seems likes its 2-3 communities under one name

Westbury South always seemed different when you drive through - older homes but smaller in some aspects - Im talking about the areas south of Airport on both ends of Hillcroft. Not sure since it borders other areas it has a that different feel

The area north of Airport and South of Bellfort to the East is somewhat stable - homes look the same but some random 2 stories

North of Bellfort to the East it seems hotter due to better locations and it borders other single family areas. Most homes are still small but the ones for sale are always on the main streets.

The areas West are come and go...

But homes are asking for $350K so its a solid investment - the same homes south of 90 with more square footage goes for $100K less.

Honestly, schools in HISD will never be a driving factor in all totality. Maybe 1 - 4 areas where all zoned schools are on the same page but mostly its the elementary that's driving the values and middle school such as Pin Oak area. Too much competition for the student with charter schools on every corner plus privates and then kids leaving the district for Fort Bend, Alvin and Pearland

Old 05-28-2021, 04:46 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,067,064 times
Based on https://www.houstonisd.org/Page/110554 charters tend to disproportionately draw students from lower income areas, while private schools have more sway over higher income areas (Lamar HS zone has a bit of private school students, but Bellaire HS zone less so).

Based on https://books.google.com/books?id=131SQLhqScMC&pg=PA152 historically parents were drawn to specific high school zones like Bellaire High.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbcu View Post

Honestly, schools in HISD will never be a driving factor in all totality. Maybe 1 - 4 areas where all zoned schools are on the same page but mostly its the elementary that's driving the values and middle school such as Pin Oak area. Too much competition for the student with charter schools on every corner plus privates and then kids leaving the district for Fort Bend, Alvin and Pearland

Old 05-30-2021, 11:54 PM

960 posts, read 2,749,143 times
Yes, a fully renovated home in Westbury should be carefully reviewed for flood history. Major flooding came from Brays Bayou and Willow Waterhole creek. Here is a good link of the worst Harvey flood map: https://www.harriscountyfemt.org/

Alternative to Westbury is Post Oak Manor with Red ES instead of Parker ES.

Old 05-31-2021, 02:56 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,829,835 times
Parts in there are actually called Parkwest, it's basically Westbury, but don't tell the people in Parkwest that. The Parkwest sections tend to be a little pricier. Westbury/Parkwest has been in decent shape for years now. While there were some parts that flooded around Willow Waterhole bayou, a lot of parts did not. A lot of folks are mistakenly dismissive of the whole area, however, over flooding concerns.

The sections zoned to Kolter & Parker will be more expensive, as it's one of the few places that close-in where you can get a good elementary school and good neighborhood curb appeal for the price points they're in, although those price points for renovated houses in those sections typically exceed the mid-threes.

A few years back there used to be more prevalent attitudes about ”this part of Westbury is the good section, and that over there isn't...” As more flippers have renovated across the whole area, limited housing inventory, and general improvement over the years has caused a lot of those ”good sections vs. bad sections” attitudes to fade. Speaking in broad generalities, The parts of Parkwest zoned to Parker, and Westbury sections 1 & 2, (basically east of Chimney Rock more or less) still tend to be more expensive, while Westbury South and Westbury section 4, (the section adjacent to the north of Westbury South, just north of Airport), tend to be cheaper. Not only school zoning but some general differences in housing stock size contribute to that.

One of the more interesting parts of Westbury is the block of Warm Springs between Landsdowne and Ash Croft. The Greater Houston Builder's Association used to do a annual home show called the "Parade of Homes". It drew tens of thousands of visitors annually as it was held in different new developments. 1959 I believe was Westbury's turn. Builders pulled out all the stops and you will see more architecturally interesting houses on that block. I know of one that has an original indoor swimming pool, not is some sun-room type setting in back of the house, but basically in the middle of the living room. There's a larger concentration of the mid-century moderns on that block. There used to be a drawing for a "give away home" during the POH shows, and I think the one at the east end of that stretch, which has two single garages on either side (originally carports), was the "prize home" for the show that year.

Last edited by modster; 05-31-2021 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-31-2021, 10:45 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default High water...

I have two friends that live there, and they say that their street gets flooded. They live close to each other. I am not sure if you meant if it floods in general as in streets, or homes. The water gets high onto the yard, but has not reached the homes, even with Harvey. Lots of streets in Houston flood, but most homes are safe.

Old 06-04-2021, 08:44 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Not with Harvey,!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston