Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2021, 10:15 AM

307 posts, read 270,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD26 View Post
I wish that were the case with our home out here in Katy.
It's been on the market for over 2 weeks now and we've only received one lowball offer.
I figured by now our house would be under contract because of this "hot" seller's market.
Katy is such a vast area, so it probably depends on your exact location. The house I'm selling is closing in a few days in Richmond, about 2 miles south of Katy (specifically the Cinco Ranch area 723/1093). It was on the market less than 24 hours with multiple offers over list price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2021, 10:33 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,578,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The "hot" housing market is mostly for less-expensive suburban homes with yards. In many parts of Katy and Sugar Land, there's literally no inventory right now. Every home that hits the market is snapped in a few days.

The inner loop will always be desirable, but at a higher price point there is simply a smaller pool of buyers and homes will generally take longer to sell. If the house in question is a 3-4 story detached townhome with no yard, that will work against it as well. It's relatively easy for big chunks of these homes to be built and added to the market, which keeps a lid on prices. By comparison, a detached home with a yard inside the loop will always be a better investment.
I 100% agree. That's exactly what I'm seeing in Montrose. The appreciation is just not happening with those, at least while they are still popping up like mushrooms after the rain.

Old 06-01-2021, 11:16 AM

18,158 posts, read 25,392,856 times
Am I the only one that remembers a few years ago when everybody was saying
"Houston is the most affordable city in the country"

Didn't take long for that to change

Old 06-04-2021, 01:48 PM

112 posts, read 91,772 times
I believe the current real estate market is artificially heated by the low interest rate. However, nobody has a crystal ball for whether if the interest rate will rise enough to curb demand and when. The thing with Houston housing market is that, the home price also corresponds to the hiring and firing of oil companies. That is especially true for areas where private schools bus to, and areas close to the energy companies. I live in a neighborhood where private schools have bus stops. During 2020s oil downturn, most of our European neighbors left for their home country. With the transition to new energy and WFH, I don’t know if the housing market here will correspond to the oil market as much. But because of WFH, Houston is getting a lot of people from more expensive cities. It’s hard to tell if that trend will stop with more companies asking for returning to office.

Old 06-07-2021, 07:05 AM

32 posts, read 14,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The "hot" housing market is mostly for less-expensive suburban homes with yards. In many parts of Katy and Sugar Land, there's literally no inventory right now. Every home that hits the market is snapped in a few days.

The inner loop will always be desirable, but at a higher price point there is simply a smaller pool of buyers and homes will generally take longer to sell. If the house in question is a 3-4 story detached townhome with no yard, that will work against it as well. It's relatively easy for big chunks of these homes to be built and added to the market, which keeps a lid on prices. By comparison, a detached home with a yard inside the loop will always be a better investment.
I am a data analyst by profession and planning a move. I can see houses around memorial , montrose or uptown sell out within weeks to a month. Suburbs tend to stay for months. Schools seem tobe a major factor even though there are nice houses in spring and cypress and brian forest areas. Is this assessment fair?

We are not making offers yet but guess there are lit of people with cash to snap up as they appear.

Old 06-08-2021, 10:28 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 26 days ago)

8,469 posts, read 5,609,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

I dont know that its still not. Prices everywhere are skyrocketing.

Old 06-08-2021, 11:36 AM

91 posts, read 77,106 times
New home builds costing so much are helping to drive the existing homes market.

Old 06-08-2021, 09:21 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,552,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post

East Coast = same thing. California as well, of course. Real estate prices went up a lot pretty much everywhere.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:50 AM

313 posts, read 285,240 times
It’s not just the US. Real estate is expensive in lots of places right now. Canada and Australia has crazy real estate prices too. Lots of younger generation complaining they can’t afford to buy either. Multi-generational living will become more common in America. Empty nesting will become a luxury concept LOL. Get used to living with your parents.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:19 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,258,670 times
Real estate is great investment in places like CA with relatively low property taxes and high capital appreciate, if you could get in early. Real estate investment not so good in TX with really high property taxes and insurance, and relatively low capital appreciation. Although you get a much larger and newer house in TX.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston