Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotophage View Post
What I think the city really wants (but politically can't really say) is more gentrification, not less. Hellish commutes bring more wealthy people into the center. Wealthy urban cores are very in fashion right now. If we looked a little more like San Francisco on the Gulf Coast that would certainly be a nice bullet point as we continue to pitch the city to big tech.
While I think it is more nuanced than this within the opposition groups, you definitely have a point. There HAS to be a sizable number of people who have latched on to the marginalized communities argument, though what they really care about is making the suburbs less attractive. And I can't say I blame them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2021, 02:37 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
It's not about gentrification, and more often than not the residents don't own and therefore don't participate in any value created. Also, having a freeway next door to you so that Woodlands residents can get to the office faster isn't a gentrifying force.

The freeway is already there. This is a rebuild.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:42 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,440,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The freeway is already there. This is a rebuild.
? The full extent of the project includes much more than the existing footprint of the North Freeway. If it didn't, no one would care.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
? The full extent of the project includes much more than the existing footprint of the North Freeway. If it didn't, no one would care.

Sure, the footprint is a little wider but it's not like building a new freeway through an area that has none. So now you're 200 feet from the freeway instead of 300 feet? There's no one in those areas that hasn't deal with freeway noise, pollution, and traffic all their lives. The noise will likely be less.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:57 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,056,310 times
A quick google search shows that the negative impacts of this project (and many others) on communities of color have been evident for years. If it took until now for them to be acknowledged, and the project paused, that doesn't mean the problems aren't real, it just means those problems weren't taken seriously until now, mainly because TXDoT seems to have been pretty okay with destroying communities of color.

https://www.npr.org/2021/04/07/98478...ources-report/
https://kinder.rice.edu/urbanedge/20...ndence-heights
https://www.texasobserver.org/more-h...more-problems/

Old 06-28-2021, 03:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
Sure, the footprint is a little wider but it's not like building a new freeway through an area that has none. So now you're 200 feet from the freeway instead of 300 feet? There's no one in those areas that hasn't deal with freeway noise, pollution, and traffic all their lives. The noise will likely be less.
This affects 1000 residences so maybe 3 or 4 thousand people tops in a city of 2.3 million that is a minute number for a project that will bring the freeway system in Houston into the 21st century.

The residence will get top dollar for their property and the businesses will relocate one block to the east.

Maybe the local officials think they will get a better deal from Biden's infrastructure plan and if that is the case and they execute it right then all bets are off and I will applaud them for their cunning. But on the face of it ,this delay sucks.

Old 06-28-2021, 03:07 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,795,988 times
Freeway constructions and expansions chew up the neighborhoods that sit next to them, this is nothing new. When BW8 was built, it sliced right through the middle of Memorial Bend and a bunch of homes in the neighborhood were leveled. When the Katy Freeway was expanded, plenty of homes in Spring Valley Village were sacrificed. It's unfortunate, but imagine what mobility in West Houston would be like today if BW8 and the widened Katy Freeway never happened.

I'm not convinced that the impacted neighborhoods along I-45 deserve special treatment, as long as all eminent domain requirements are met. If the city really wants to "force" gentrification by making commutes to The Woodlands miserable, then they obviously haven't been paying attention to the past 1-2 decades of development patterns. The northern suburbs are growing much faster than the city of Houston, major employers such as Exxon have pulled out of downtown in favor of suburban campuses, and The Woodlands is continually adding amenities that make regular trips to the city unnecessary. When HPE announced the relocation of their corporate HQ, where again did they decide to put it?

Old 06-28-2021, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
This affects 1000 residences so maybe 3 or 4 thousand people tops in a city of 2.3 million that is a minute number for a project that will bring the freeway system in Houston into the 21st century.

The residence will get top dollar for their property and the businesses will relocate one block to the east.

Maybe the local officials think they will get a better deal from Biden's infrastructure plan and if that is the case and they execute it right then all bets are off and I will applaud them for their cunning. But on the face of it ,this delay sucks.

And define "affects".

Old 06-28-2021, 03:18 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,507,052 times
Quote:
And define "affects".
Let me change that to directly affects 1000 residences that will be moved, it will indirectly affect the entire Metro with positive changes to the I-45 corridor and the removal of the Pierce Elevated.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:48 PM

15,456 posts, read 7,511,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
Freeway constructions and expansions chew up the neighborhoods that sit next to them, this is nothing new. When BW8 was built, it sliced right through the middle of Memorial Bend and a bunch of homes in the neighborhood were leveled. When the Katy Freeway was expanded, plenty of homes in Spring Valley Village were sacrificed. It's unfortunate, but imagine what mobility in West Houston would be like today if BW8 and the widened Katy Freeway never happened.

I'm not convinced that the impacted neighborhoods along I-45 deserve special treatment, as long as all eminent domain requirements are met. If the city really wants to "force" gentrification by making commutes to The Woodlands miserable, then they obviously haven't been paying attention to the past 1-2 decades of development patterns. The northern suburbs are growing much faster than the city of Houston, major employers such as Exxon have pulled out of downtown in favor of suburban campuses, and The Woodlands is continually adding amenities that make regular trips to the city unnecessary. When HPE announced the relocation of their corporate HQ, where again did they decide to put it?
ExxonMobil built their campus to consolidate all of the different offices they had all over town. They wanted a mid rise form, which is impossible downtown, and so built the campus in Spring, where they could get enough land to hold the necessary buildings. I also suspect that security had something to do with the location, since it's a long way from a public road to a building, making truck bombs far less likely to do significant damage, and making it far more difficult for entities like Greenpeace to take over a building.

HPE is building in the suburbs, just like predecessor Compaq did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Let me change that to directly affects 1000 residences that will be moved, it will indirectly affect the entire Metro with positive changes to the I-45 corridor and the removal of the Pierce Elevated.
Removal of the pierce Elevated(a bad idea in my opinion) is not dependent on the rest of the project.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston