Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2021, 02:44 PM

9,914 posts, read 6,623,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Exactly. There is already a N-S light rail line nearby that could be beefed up as a secondary corridor to the freeway. In fact, it is usually better to separate both modes and you'll more likely get a walkable area along the rail line versus if it was combined with a freeway. The short-shortsightedness behind those who want to stop this project is incredible. It's going to be like 2007(ish) when afton oaks threw a fit along with John Culberson and they took all the rail funds from Houston and gave it to DART in Dallas so they could double their system.
However… The DOT would logically find a north line extension over modernizing a freeway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2021, 07:08 PM

3,172 posts, read 2,060,740 times
The TTC gave TxDOT 90 days to work out the halt with the FHWA before they revisit this. They left the funding in the UTP for now.

I watched a good chunk of that meeting and it was pretty wild. There are some characters in there on both sides, that's for sure.

I guess at this point we'll see what the feds do. Probably a coin flip, but if nothing has changed, I don't know why the FHWA would back down from their previous demands.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...p-16425275.php

Old 08-31-2021, 07:13 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,509,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
The TTC gave TxDOT 90 days to work out the halt with the FHWA before they revisit this. They left the funding in the UTP for now.

I watched a good chunk of that meeting and it was pretty wild. There are some characters in there on both sides, that's for sure.

I guess at this point we'll see what the feds do. Probably a coin flip, but if nothing has changed, I don't know why the FHWA would back down from their previous demands.

https://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...p-16425275.php
I hope our civic leaders come out in favor of this before it is too late.

Last edited by Jack Lance; 08-31-2021 at 08:09 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 06:38 PM

85 posts, read 350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post

Out of curiosity why do you think removing the Pierce elevated is a bad idea. Most post, even by those opposed to the I-45 expansion, I have read think it's a great idea.
Why would it not be a bad idea?

Freeway lanes at or below grade flood.

Last edited by wills; 09-01-2021 at 07:10 PM..

Old 09-01-2021, 07:10 PM

Traditionally TxDOT has paid too much attention to the people beside the highway and not enough to the people who use the highway.

Look at the way the interstates are designed. A driver approaching downtown from the east must constantly change lanes to not be forced to exit; he should be able to get in a lane and drive to Katy without changing lanes.

The purpose of the interstate is to drive from city to city, from Galveston to Dallas for example, not to facilitate driving within a city. Excess on and off ramps trace their heritage to Gibb Gilchrest and Dewitt Greer ( https://cemetery.tspb.texas.gov/pub/...p?pers_id=2515 ) with the design of what later became the Gulf Freeway, with continuous feeders and numerous on and off ramps, a tradition the department has clung to, like an addict clinging to his drugs.

Old 09-01-2021, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills View Post
Why would it not be a bad idea?

Freeway lanes at or below grade flood.
Pump systems deal with that and if conditions are such that pump systems can't handle it, they are bad enough that no one needs to be out on the freeways anyway.

Better the roads than the surrounding neighborhoods...

Old 09-02-2021, 02:50 PM

Pump systems do not deal with that. Who told you that? Pump systems are not maintained. Look around the next time it rains. The depressed section of IH 10 fills with water at Washington Ave.

Old 09-02-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wills View Post
Pump systems do not deal with that. Who told you that? Pump systems are not maintained. Look around the next time it rains. The depressed section of IH 10 fills with water at Washington Ave.
That's an issue of design and like you said, maintenance. The ones on 59 in Midtown and Downtown work just fine.

You are correct that if they do this they need to maintain the systems. I'm not familiar with the issue on I-10 but it doesn't surprise me.

Old 09-08-2021, 12:56 PM

11,839 posts, read 8,040,748 times
Why can't they just build canals underneath every freeway in Houston to mitigate waters away and.. ..and.. ..even use them for ferries and boats as a secondary means of transportation when the freeways get clogged

Old 09-16-2021, 03:14 PM

The purpose of interstate highways is to get traffic from city to city, not to move it around within cities. That is for local government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston