Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 12:13 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I'm on Amy Davis' list-serv and I didn't get that email. I don't want to pay my bill either, but I'm just going to follow through with my moral obligation as usual. $115 isn't going to dent anything.

My AC was replaced for $5,600 last year + $600 for a 10 year extended warranty. New outdoor unit (compressor/condensor) + a new evaporator coil. House is circa '95 so the electricals and the drainage were brought up to '07 COH code standards. It was also converted to the new "green" R-410-A freon. $300 tax credit at the end of the year.

The highest bid was about $8k. This was for a 4 ton unit BTW.

My mother was going to pay up to $5,000 for the AC replacement but I don't think she is able to do that now since she had some major unexpected health problems last summer that ate up a good portion of her money. This house is my early inheritance so I honestly can't complain. It was built in 1981/1982 and Mom did a lot of work and upgrades to it when she lived here. The AC was one of the first things she did in the early to mid-90's and now it's time for it to be done again - it keeps losing freon.

May I ask who did your AC work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 12:22 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,694,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't think there is a moral obligation to pay an incorrect bill, only the portion of the bill that is valid.

I agree - I just checked my bank statement and everything was deducted correctly. Thankfully.

My AC work was done by AirCon Houston. I went with a Ruud. Remember though, prices may have changed over the past year. I also went with the slightly more expensive option (new freon) because with the tax credit and energy savings over the life of the unit, it was basically a wash. I'd rather put money into the appliance rather than (variable) energy.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:38 PM

29 posts, read 29,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltboy View Post
DO NOT PAY THE BILL.

I just got this email from KPRC Local 2 Investigates:

Hi Steve,

I am out of town through Monday, but I wanted to reply quickly to tell you that a PUC spokesperson told me to tell NPC customers that they shouldn't pay final bills. I can talk with you more on Monday, but NPC can not disconnect your power. And if you want to have CenterPoint re-read your meter, you'll never get back what you overpaid.

Thanks,
Amy Davis
KPRC Local 2 Investigates
The Chronicle just posted: NewsWatch: Energy: Texas Power Meltdown: What should you do?

Should you pay your latest bill from your old provider? This is what the Public Utility Commission told us with regard to National Power: "Your priority should be to get your arrangements with a new provider. If have a bill with National Power, just hang on to that until this thing gets resolved. We're still working with them to reach some kind of conclusion," said spokesman Terry Hadley.

I have my doubts to pay the bill - may be no need and a wonder where the money would go.
However, I have my doubts to not pay - as noted by an earlier post, the used electricity might go to our POLR at 22 cents/kWh.

Old 06-23-2008, 09:26 AM

The story keeps getting more interesting!

SEC: Houston power firm bought with cash from scam | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)

Old 06-23-2008, 12:21 PM

1,336 posts, read 6,444,743 times
Time to round the criminals up.

I'll volunteer to drive the paddywagon to Austin.

Old 07-06-2008, 12:04 PM

2 posts, read 4,439 times
Default National Power Defaults on Contracts

I complained to the PUC about National Power walking out on their legal contracts. This wasn't a case that they were going out of business. They simply decided they weren't going to do business in Texas any more so they wouldn't need to honor their contracts. Of course contacting the PUC and even my state rep was a waste of time. Why do we even have the PUC now if they are not going to protect the consumer? Don't know if it will do any good, but I've filed a class action suit on SueEasy™ - Instant Legal Help, Attorney Advertising, Class Action Repository , but I need additional people to join the suit in order for it to go any further. Just do a search on "national power".

Old 08-08-2008, 08:44 AM

29 posts, read 29,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostintx_us View Post
This wasn't a case that they were going out of business. They simply decided they weren't going to do business in Texas any more so they wouldn't need to honor their contracts.
Do you have a source for this? Did they move to another state or what? I joined your suit online.

Old 08-09-2008, 07:19 AM

2 posts, read 4,439 times
I am sorry but I don't know where I read that they were still doing business in other states. It was either a newpaper report on the internet or a blog when it was first announced they had dumped their fixed rate customers. This was the reason I got so upset and wanted the lawsuit. All of my research since then indicates they did go out of business.

Old 08-09-2008, 09:59 AM

14 posts, read 57,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
The story keeps getting more interesting!

SEC: Houston power firm bought with cash from scam | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle (broken link)
dead link

Old 08-09-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonitadita View Post
dead link

Old thread!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: