Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 PM

489 posts, read 618,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
No, those are the small crosses. The big ones, many stories tall, are gaudy religious markers.
Funny, I know you mean these things as negatives, but everything you and ODucks is saying is making me want to get to TX all the faster!

I don't find religious symbols like crosses gaudy, usually.....unless they are gold- encrusted ones on some televangelists set or something.

But, Sounds like you are in the right part of the country for you .

Old 10-28-2012, 02:07 AM

644 posts, read 1,346,988 times
I didn't read through the rest of the posts on this topic, but I'm from California and here is my take on Houston, TX. If you come to Houston with an open mind and not judge it before you arrive, then I think you will be pleasantly surprised. I happen to love Houston and my neighborhood is very liberal-which I like-a lot. I've heard that people in the burbs are conservative and inner-loopers are generally liberal. It is fairly inexpensive to live in Houston.

I'm visiting Austin for the first time ever and I'm absolutely in love with it. It is only 3 hours away from Houston, but feels like a world away. It reminds me a lot of California actually. If you live in Houston, you can visit Austin fairly often and get your fill of outdoor activities and hills. It's an easy drive and there is so much to do outside here. The air here feels more like California too... it's very dry.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:46 AM

54 posts, read 205,455 times
We DO miss the beautiful San Diego weather, the rolling hills and mountains, the 10 minute drive to the blue ocean and beach.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:12 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,108,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightman_Cometh View Post
Which of course are paid with your hard earned money you donate to the church, along with the labor and materials being tax free
I'm not donating to any church.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAHomeschoolMom View Post
Funny, I know you mean these things as negatives, but everything you and ODucks is saying is making me want to get to TX all the faster!

I don't find religious symbols like crosses gaudy, usually.....unless they are gold- encrusted ones on some televangelists set or something.

But, Sounds like you are in the right part of the country for you .
I did not set out to influence you at all. When I speak of "gaudy" crosses, I am not exaggerating for effect. I am referring to the 10-story ones on the side of the freeway. there are examples in Dallas and Houston, I believe.

Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,758,250 times
For those of you trying to decide between CA and Houston, why not both? Why not live in Houston and vacation in CA? It's a relatively short flight and with all the money you save by living in Houston, the trips will be completely free! I mean just the state income tax savings alone will pay for your trips to CA.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
I did not set out to influence you at all. When I speak of "gaudy" crosses, I am not exaggerating for effect. I am referring to the 10-story ones on the side of the freeway. there are examples in Dallas and Houston, I believe.
I think you are exaggerating here. I have driven down 45 from Dallas to Houston and have never seen a "10 story cross". Hell man, that would be one hell of a landmark. I think I would remember it. I even did a search on google and nothing came up. Care to actually back this up with some proof?

Old 10-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
I think you are exaggerating here. I have driven down 45 from Dallas to Houston and have never seen a "10 story cross". Hell man, that would be one hell of a landmark. I think I would remember it. I even did a search on google and nothing came up. Care to actually back this up with some proof?
There's a 170 ft. one at The Beltway and 45 South

Sagemont Cross: New Higher Power Lines Beltway 8 » Swamplot: Houston's Real Estate Landscape

Old 10-28-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
OK, fair enough. There are a couple out there. I personally have never seen them but I guess they exist. What I have seen driving down 45 is about 150 signs for strip clubs. So I think the crosses have a ways to go to catch up. Personally none of these things bother me though. I guess if I get to the point in my life where stuff along the side of a highway bothers me, it's probably time to stick a revolver in my mouth and call it a life. I would have to be a pretty miserable person at that point.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
OK, fair enough. There are a couple out there. I personally have never seen them but I guess they exist. What I have seen driving down 45 is about 150 signs for strip clubs. So I think the crosses have a ways to go to catch up. Personally none of these things bother me though. I guess if I get to the point in my life where stuff along the side of a highway bothers me, it's probably time to stick a revolver in my mouth and call it a life. I would have to be a pretty miserable person at that point.
I didn't say it "bothered me". I just find these crosses and yes, the strip clubs on the side of the road, gaudy. Houston should work a little harder on its appearance. It doesn't have much natural beauty, so I would think it would put forth more effort on the manmade stuff. But, if people there don't care about such things, so be it.

I think it's odd that your only choices are to accept an ugly roadside or to commit suicide. That seems really erratic. There's a lot of room in the middle of those two extremes for rational people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston