Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 04:36 PM

2 posts, read 5,820 times

Advertisements

Moving and looking for the right neighborhood and school can be so difficult. I have heard so many different things about JC. When I did my search from Michigan I was determined to be in a top rated public school. Little did I know or the school know, that hundreds would be looking to put their children in the school I chose also. The population grew from 800 students to 1250 student this year and its still growing.

The fifth and sixth graders were out in portables this year and they weren't even able to use their lockers. The school was more concerned with crowd control than new programs for children. Oh and coming from the North I knew nothing about the taks test that my fifth grader had to pass in order to move on to the next grade.

JC I don't think you have to worry about state taks. What may be some concerns though is the wealth of the families that go there. The cars that are in the parking lot for students is unbeleivable, especially for me who bought my own grey grenada when I was 17. I was not handed the keys to a BMW at sixteen. You will also find that their is a high death rate for teens from auto accidents.

Oh and lastly let me share with you about the competitiveness. It is mind blowing. At the HS information night parents and students were discouraged to have their student try out for a sport if they haven't been playing for years. EVERYONE was wearing Hollister and Aberombie when my child went to school. I don't think this is how the rest of the world is operating, is it?

Well, thats my two cents.

The Woodlands isn't its all craked up to be. There is a reason you don't see any bad PR for the Woodlands-----Great PR and bad news thats never publicized. TW hs been called the Stepford City.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 05:21 PM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post

The Woodlands isn't its all craked up to be. There is a reason you don't see any bad PR for the Woodlands-----Great PR and bad news thats never publicized. TW hs been called the Stepford City.

Wow, so true!

Old 06-07-2008, 06:35 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,827,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeandmom View Post
You're the fourth person I've heard say that since we moved to the Houston area in March.

All that materialism sounds tiresome.

Old 06-07-2008, 07:09 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,702,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You're the fourth person I've heard say that since we moved to the Houston area in March.

As if there's no materialism in Uptown.

Last edited by tstone; 06-07-2008 at 07:23 PM..

Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post

What I find tiresome is the constant bashing of The Woodlands by a certain few on this board. Sounds like petty jealousy to me. From what I've heard the people who actually live in The Woodlands love it. People should avoid stereotyping entire communities due to their own personal bias. We're planning to move just outside of The Woodlands in a few months and find the entire area a very desirable place to live.

Old 06-08-2008, 06:52 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,496,019 times
I was referring more to the big Woodlands PR machine that hides bad press.

TSTONE-Materialism in Uptown? Of course but it's a different kind. The Woodlands is more a pier/social pressure materialism. I found it alien. It's probably worse up there because it's a pretty level playing field. There's no pre-established social pecking order, no "it" neighborhood, everyone makes generally the same income.... Strangley, it causes a lot of strife amongst those up there that want to play the game.

Uptown is more that people just buy what they like, and it's not a "competition" of any kind. When everyone can afford Prada, having one isn't a big deal..so you buy it because you like it. But if someone wants to play the game in Uptown they're doing it more for themselves, because honestly most people can't play with the "big kids" in the area. I grew up there and have a pretty good idea what Uptown is all about. And in general it's pretty darn laid back and everyone knows their rank and file. A majority of families that live in single family home neighborhoods are second generation Uptowners (third generation Houstonian), so that creates soical stability. A certain car or purse isn't going to elevate you in this crowd.

Considering how long Clear Lake has been around, I'm sure it has neighborhoods that're like Uptown.

It's animal nature to have a constant and pre-establish pecking/rank order. When there isn't one, and an area is in constant change, people whip out the Coach purse hoping it means something to someone.

KEWL-That whole, if you don't like a place you're jealous arguement always makes me laugh. Sometimes people just don't like an area or really find something wrong with it. Every place is far from perfect. The Woodlands, and probably other areas, have some real social issues that's probably due to the constant tranfers and transient people.The average length of residence is 3-5 years.

Last edited by EasilyAmused; 06-08-2008 at 07:46 AM..

Old 06-08-2008, 05:41 PM

136 posts, read 894,136 times
I'm sure some of you are tired of hearing from me but I relocated to the Woodlands from Canada and lived there for 7 years. I loved it and would live there again in a second. I am not concerned with amassing and showing off wealth and non of my friends or neighbors were either.

Perhaps a bit of jealousy in some of the replies here. (just re-read your comment easily amused - maybe, just seems that the comments are from people not living there) The Woodlands is a great place to live. I spent time in Kingwood and Sugarland in my time there and was never sorry we chose the Woodlands. Back in Calgary now and I sure miss all those trees!!

Not missing the snakes though. LOL (actually saw one here yesterday - it was so bloody cold out the thing was not even able to move out of my way)

Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 PM

87 posts, read 384,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy View Post
I'm sure some of you are tired of hearing from me but I relocated to the Woodlands from Canada and lived there for 7 years. I loved it and would live there again in a second. I am not concerned with amassing and showing off wealth and non of my friends or neighbors were either.

Perhaps a bit of jealousy in some of the replies here. (just re-read your comment easily amused - maybe, just seems that the comments are from people not living there) The Woodlands is a great place to live. I spent time in Kingwood and Sugarland in my time there and was never sorry we chose the Woodlands. Back in Calgary now and I sure miss all those trees!!

Not missing the snakes though. LOL (actually saw one here yesterday - it was so bloody cold out the thing was not even able to move out of my way)
What kind of snakes and how often did you see them? Snakes are a big concern of ours moving from the Northeast to the Woodlands.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 PM

I saw one coral snake. There must have been something wrong with it. I think they are very shy but this one crossed the sidewalk right in front of me and friend and our 3 dogs. We had actually stopped to pick up some poop and my friend screamed as it was right at her feet. We looked up the colors and sure enough it was the coral snake.

I saw lots of water snakes in the bayous and gold course lakes. Big ones. But they really stay in the water. Saw them from bridges mostly. One though was right at the edge of the water while we were letting the dogs have a drink. Eeeeekkkkk.

Had a black snake about a foot long swimming in my pool once. We went to get the book to ID it and came back and it was gone. Gulp!

Saw a copper head dead at the side of the road in my cul de sac.

Friend in Atascosita was walking on the golf course by her house and saw about a six foot snake with a fish in its mouth in a culvert. She knew no one would believe her so she ran home and got her camera and I saw it. It was real and real big.

Given all that, they seem to go in cycles. I think most of those were in one year and some years I saw none. I was as freaked out as anyone about snakes. You just get used to walking looking down. Stay off the bayou paths in the summer. November to April - no worries - they are asleep. They are generally shy and you will not see them if they see you first.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:35 PM

You must also realize that I was pretty paranoid about them at first. Maybe those who don't see so many are just not looking for them. I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston