Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:50 PM

151 posts, read 641,114 times

Advertisements

Hey Forum Friends - about 6 of my girlfriends are visiting me in July for the weekend. I haven't experienced a true Houston summer yet so I need your help.

In terms of weather, what should I tell them to expect? Pack? Etc?

And, what kind of activities should I plan for us? Of course, my first thought is Galveston or Kemah - but won't it be too hot and/or rainy for that?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Make sure everyone brings her own flat-iron, otherwise it will literally take hours to get out of the house.

You guys may want to go hit the downtown bars and clubs, Kemah boardwalk can be fun, lots of good restaurants and bars in Galveston...

This is nerdy, i know, but you may want to hit the museums (science, art, history) then go get barbecue or Tex-mex.

What part of town are you in?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:13 PM

151 posts, read 641,114 times
Hilarious!! We've already had many conversations about hair and humidity.

We've got the clubs all planned out and planning to go the The Galleria Mall, but that still leaves plenty of hours left unaccounted for.

Museums are good - we're a smart, cultural bunch.

What's the weather like in July? Is that the rainy season? Intolerably hot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Make sure everyone brings her own flat-iron, otherwise it will literally take hours to get out of the house.

You guys may want to go hit the downtown bars and clubs, Kemah boardwalk can be fun, lots of good restaurants and bars in Galveston...

This is nerdy, i know, but you may want to hit the museums (science, art, history) then go get barbecue or Tex-mex.

What part of town are you in?

Old 05-15-2008, 03:20 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericka709 View Post
Hilarious!! We've already had many conversations about hair and humidity.

We've got the clubs all planned out and planning to go the The Galleria Mall, but that still leaves plenty of hours left unaccounted for.

Museums are good - we're a smart, cultural bunch.

What's the weather like in July? Is that the rainy season? Intolerably hot?
July is hot for the most part. Sometimes its hot and rainy. Mostly hot, tho. Expect mid 90's and up and hope for less. The rainy season is really right now more than July but it has a way of stretching into all year. Just keep your fingers crossed.

Last edited by jimboburnsy; 05-15-2008 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-15-2008, 08:19 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
July is hot but I think August and September are actually worse. I have gone to Schlitterbahn Galveston during July with friends. If you get there when they open - you kind of have the run of the place until lunchtime or shortly after ... the famiies and kids usually don't get out of bed and moving that early. Kemah Boardwalk is nice in early evening. They often have rock the dock one night a week which can be fun plus some nice little bars in that area to go cool off in.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:20 PM

669 posts, read 1,612,523 times
San Diego is the top place for summer vacation... why not here?

Old 05-15-2008, 08:29 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,084 times
Discover the REAL Houston! Take them on a tour.

Houston Tours and Tourism

Old 05-15-2008, 09:21 PM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
July is hot but I think August and September are actually worse. I have gone to Schlitterbahn Galveston during July with friends. If you get there when they open - you kind of have the run of the place until lunchtime or shortly after ... the famiies and kids usually don't get out of bed and moving that early. Kemah Boardwalk is nice in early evening. They often have rock the dock one night a week which can be fun plus some nice little bars in that area to go cool off in.
This is great advice. Get to any beach, pool, museum or attraction when it opens (if you can flat-iron in time). They all get crazy with kids midday, but early they're great. Then find a great patio restaurant for an extended lunch. Extend into happy hour. Etc. There's your day!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:32 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,675,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWong View Post
San Diego is the top place for summer vacation... why not here?
Enough trolling already mmmkay.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 PM

960 posts, read 2,750,008 times
Give them a variety of activities for everyone of their likes. If one likes to run, then guide all of them to Memorial Park for a morning jog for example - or golf if they bring clubs. Then go for a spash in the water, any swimming pool will be awesome in the summer. It's okay to go tour outside for a while but eventually, in the middle of the day, it's nice to find some cool refreshments and a place to cool down and chat. The Meusum of Natural Science has a fine rock collection if y'all like gem stones. And there are art muesums in the area. That's why it's called the Muesum District and close to the nearby Montrose and downtown hangouts for evening/night drinks.

During business hours, take them to downtown tunnels - get lost and find the bank safe, the Chase Bank building, and Wells Fargos building. When you find the last two buildings, you can go up to the viewing tower.

Going to a sports event can be memorable, too. I had a Californian friend come with me to the baseball game and we talked all about why our new field is different. And it's already got history as it used to be Enron Field.

Any friends in the healthcare business? Then show them the Texas Medical Center (TMC) during the week. It's always interesting to observe people from Starbucks, etc. I somtimes jog from south campus to Rice University through TMC. The last time I tried to count, there are about 16 construction crains so it's a very busy area.

Find out about any special events going on during their visits and attend.

Then after Kemah and Galveston whith plenty of time left, go to Schilitterbahn in New Braunfels. It's the #1 water park in USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston