Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2021, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 715 times

Advertisements

I know that some people using LLC to hold a rental property to minimise liability, is it worth to do so? Set up cost of LLC in Houston seems not much, but I'm concerned the running expenses like tax filing etc.
The expected rental income is about $1,500 per month.

Last edited by mghyw; 09-15-2021 at 10:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 02:15 PM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Not worth it IMO
Get an umbrella policy for $150 / yr and call it a day

Old 09-16-2021, 08:03 AM

38 posts, read 45,381 times
If you are the owner of the LLC, then there is really no liability protection. Only real way to limit liability is to setup corporation, not a S-Corp, with directors and do not link to your personal bank accounts.

As other post stated, spend the money on insurance to cover you and/or any listed owners of properties

Old 09-16-2021, 09:42 PM

219 posts, read 226,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dd1153 View Post
Not worth it IMO
Get an umbrella policy for $150 / yr and call it a day
If you get a mortgage for an investment property, how much does homeowners/property insurance cost compared to what you’d pay for your primary residence?

Old 09-16-2021, 10:31 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcity View Post
If you get a mortgage for an investment property, how much does homeowners/property insurance cost compared to what you’d pay for your primary residence?
I don’t think it matters. Insurance cost is based on the value of the house and the risk factors (i.e., beach houses in Galveston cost more to insure because of Hurricane and flooding risk).

There is a difference in property tax rate because you can only claim a homestead exemption for your primary residence.

Old 09-17-2021, 08:30 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,789,810 times
When we converted our primary residence to a rental property this year, a landlord policy with comparable coverage to our previous owner-occupied policy cost ~50% more. I understand that this results from the face that tenant-occupied properties are more loss-prone than owner-occupied ones.

I could understand this, but was more irritated when our flood insurance increased by $225 because our home is no longer owner-occupied. How the heck does owner vs tenant occupancy impact flood risk? Even worse - a non-owned-occupied flood insurance policy doesn't cover contents, despite it costing extra! Government math at work...

Oh well, I guess flood insurance is effectively heavily subsidized anyways so I shouldn't complain.

Old 09-18-2021, 06:42 PM

467 posts, read 777,928 times
Flood insurance runs around $300 more for non-primary (not in a flood zone)

Property taxes do not receive any exemptions (homestead)

Interest rate on mortgage runs about .5% higher for the loan

Old 09-19-2021, 04:48 PM

10 posts, read 5,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perro_peluo View Post
If you are the owner of the LLC, then there is really no liability protection. Only real way to limit liability is to setup corporation, not a S-Corp, with directors and do not link to your personal bank accounts.

As other post stated, spend the money on insurance to cover you and/or any listed owners of properties
I don't think this is true. The whole purpose of an LLC is provide the OWNERS with limited liability protection. Who else would need the limited liability?

I see a lot of misinformation here. OP, you're probably best off discussing with a business lawyer. There are definitely very big advantages of having a rental property through an LLC. I'm sure there are downsides also which you should discuss.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:46 AM

38 posts, read 45,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanobody View Post
I don't think this is true. The whole purpose of an LLC is provide the OWNERS with limited liability protection. Who else would need the limited liability?

I see a lot of misinformation here. OP, you're probably best off discussing with a business lawyer. There are definitely very big advantages of having a rental property through an LLC. I'm sure there are downsides also which you should discuss.

Correct, LLC assets are used to pay off business debts, so LLC owners stand to lose only the money that they've invested in the LLC. Owners should be careful to not link personal accounts into any type of business, a good lawyer will locate this and claim that assets are joined, and go after those assets as well. This was my main point regarding non C-Corp entities, don't assume that simply because you have a LLC that it is insulated from your personal assets unless you are vigilant.

Do agree that discussion with a lawyer familiar with business setup is the best way to go. The umbrella policy covers all assets and provides additional protection in addition to standard policies on property

Last edited by perro_peluo; 09-20-2021 at 06:52 AM.. Reason: added additional point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston