Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2021, 10:04 PM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times

Advertisements

Letting your pipes drip doesn’t always work
I did that and when the temperature got around 10F they started bursting in the attic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2021, 10:07 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Letting your pipes drip doesn’t always work
I did that and when the temperature got around 10F they started bursting in the attic

If it drops under 15F, let them trickle.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:36 AM

312 posts, read 281,527 times
Maybe it’s a luck or chance thing. My neighbors have a big new whole house generator and they still had a pipe bust. There was one in the attic or garage they weren’t aware of and it busted and made a mess.

Old 09-21-2021, 12:58 PM

567 posts, read 1,621,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
As long as you can keep your house in the 60s (either with grid power or with a generator running your furnace), the pipes in your attic over your living spaces should stay warm enough to avoid freezing.

If you have attic pipes that run over unheated areas (garage, carport, porch overhang, etc), insulating these would be a great idea.

I wouldn't run a space heater in the attic - running the furnace is much safer. Even a small generator can run a natural gas furnace without breaking a sweat. During the February winter storm, our 3500w portable ran the furnaces (1-2 at a time), two fridges, lights, and electronics.
That is exactly right - as long as your house stays warm the pipes inside the house and attic should be OK if properly insulated. If you lose power like last year and attic drops below freezing, pipes will eventually freeze and will burst (if copper, PVC, or galvanized) as insulation only will delay the freezing, but not prevent it. For outside pipes keep the water moving and insulate the hell out of them (no exposed areas).

We redid both of our properties in PEX (one in 2017 and one in 2021 - right before the freeze) and neither one had problems. We actually had some pipes below one of the houses freeze (it's a 40s pier and beam house), but once thawed out, worked fine.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,464,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallGreengrass View Post
Maybe it’s a luck or chance thing. My neighbors have a big new whole house generator and they still had a pipe bust. There was one in the attic or garage they weren’t aware of and it busted and made a mess.
thats what happened to my house,I dont have a generator.
During URI,a 9 ft copper pipe which spanned across the attic above the garage (which is not heated) burst in 4 places and rained down sides of the drywalls.
I have to have all the drywalls of the garage replaced,ceiling and both sides.
The guys who came to knock down these drywalls told me my house is in better shape than others,they found termites !

Old 10-05-2021, 04:13 PM

13 posts, read 8,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar_Z28 View Post
We redid both of our properties in PEX (one in 2017 and one in 2021 - right before the freeze) and neither one had problems. We actually had some pipes below one of the houses freeze (it's a 40s pier and beam house), but once thawed out, worked fine.
how much did that cost?

Old 10-05-2021, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 8,798 times
If it gets that cold again, I'll shut the main valve off at the street and drain the pipes. I had one like op bust in the garage. The pipe guy put sharkbites on, and I heard those things pop off easily. blah. Too late to change anything. I've covered them with insulation and boxes. It was the lack of electricity that messed me up.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlmao View Post
If it gets that cold again, I'll shut the main valve off at the street and drain the pipes. I had one like op bust in the garage. The pipe guy put sharkbites on, and I heard those things pop off easily. blah. Too late to change anything. I've covered them with insulation and boxes. It was the lack of electricity that messed me up.
thats why some buy generator.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:24 PM

if the pipe is behind the garage drywall,I have one which burst and the plumber put a shark bite around the burst and I cover the pipe with insulation,then we put up the drywall,not much else we can do,but that pipe leads to the faucet outside the house,not much water in it.

Old 10-05-2021, 06:28 PM

I wouldn't run a space heater in the attic - running the furnace is much safer. Even a small generator can run a natural gas furnace without breaking a sweat. During the February winter storm, our 3500w portable ran the furnaces (1-2 at a time), two fridges, lights, and electronic
-----------
how do you connect the furnace to your portable generator?
both water heater and furnace and A/C are in the attic.
I think I COULD Use a 3500 Watts portable generator,what brand do you recommend?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston