Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 08:00 PM

225 posts, read 136,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I don’t know what the Galleria used to look like, but basing off of data, there’s A LOT more high end stores today than before. I’m sure that has something to do with the higher presence of security.

Had those stores existed back then, would the security have existed as well? That’s a question I can’t answer. But as much as I’ve traveled, I have always seen the higher tier stores have a good amount of security. River Oaks District even has robot security guards.
I seriously doubt thats the reason for the increased security. Crime in the entire area has been on the rise for the past few years. There have been a couple shootings in the Galleria even. That seems like the more likely explanation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2022, 09:21 PM

137 posts, read 216,875 times
They have increased security at luxury stores all across the country not just The Galleria. It's not an isolated thing. I think it has more to do with the smash and grab mobs and robberies that have taken place across the country especially in California at The Grove and Rodeo Drive.

The stores and their security are not concerned or trying to prevent shootings, they are only concerned about protecting their merchandise.

Also, crime has been on the rise everywhere not just The Galleria.

Old 06-08-2022, 09:53 PM

9,931 posts, read 6,638,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bornhouston View Post
They have increased security at luxury stores all across the country not just The Galleria. It's not an isolated thing. I think it has more to do with the smash and grab mobs and robberies that have taken place across the country especially in California at The Grove and Rodeo Drive.

The stores and their security are not concerned or trying to prevent shootings, they are only concerned about protecting their merchandise.

Yeah after the Floyd protests, I’ve noticed a huge uptick of security in luxury stores everywhere. Atleast in USA

Old 06-09-2022, 05:46 AM

225 posts, read 136,627 times
Quote:

Yes, I agree that its a Houston wide problem. And yes, I understand this is affecting many large cities not just Houston. I actually do not mind the extra security guards (even welcome them) other than the implication of the increased criminal element.

My larger complaint about the Galleria was how dirty it felt compared to years past. The floors were dirty. Multiple escalators were out of service. The escalators that were in service looked poorly maintained and the handrails were sticky. Even the food establishment that we visited had dirty countertops and tables. It just seemed like a low class mall overall which is sad. I have lived in Houston since 1979 and always really enjoyed walking around it in the past because it was so clean and glamorous.

Old 06-09-2022, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by utche96 View Post
Yes, I agree that its a Houston wide problem. And yes, I understand this is affecting many large cities not just Houston. I actually do not mind the extra security guards (even welcome them) other than the implication of the increased criminal element.

My larger complaint about the Galleria was how dirty it felt compared to years past. The floors were dirty. Multiple escalators were out of service. The escalators that were in service looked poorly maintained and the handrails were sticky. Even the food establishment that we visited had dirty countertops and tables. It just seemed like a low class mall overall which is sad. I have lived in Houston since 1979 and always really enjoyed walking around it in the past because it was so clean and glamorous.
Here’s the weird part. The luxury part of the Galleria got more luxurious. But the other parts (FIRST FLOOR!!!) have gone down the drain. That’s the thing that makes this even more interesting.

Old 06-13-2022, 12:36 PM

The new Rolex store in ROD looks nice. I wonder why Rolex and Dior are operating two stores within a half mile of eachother instead of opening their second area stores in Woodlands

Old 06-13-2022, 01:15 PM

4,753 posts, read 2,984,839 times
Quote:

Union Square/Market Street area is like this in SF as well. I was just there a couple weeks ago and every high end store there has security bouncers in front. I didn't see this the last time I was in SF but that was early 2020 before the plandemic started. They had some serious looting and later smash-and-grabs in the area which is the whole reason. They used to put up cool holiday lights and displays, and they did not of that this past season, partly due to the crime increase.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:17 PM

I know for a fact that atleast Louis Vuitton and Hermes have implemented post George Floyd-era company wide security policies. I wouldn’t see why the other brands wouldn’t follow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston