Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2021, 11:06 PM

398 posts, read 382,297 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am checking out Houston next week! Out of curiosity, how would you rank these for foot traffic and beautiful single women? Also just general good vibes and a nice looking establishment.

Thanks!
Codederick
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2021, 11:12 PM

9,884 posts, read 6,589,672 times
For shopping with street level foot traffic, I would check out River Oaks District

Galleria Mall is great and a must visit even though it’s indoors.

I suppose you meant Highland Village. And this development is awesome but it’s not very pedestrian friendly. The stores are very popular with the flagship Apple and Pottery Barn, etc. And Uptown Park is nothing special. North Post Oak is gearing towards the “ultra luxury” and this is great but you have to pay the price if you want to impress or even be accepted.

Based off of this and other posts you’ve made, you should probably check out the Heights. It’s a popular neighborhood for single women and it has a good selection of walkable shopping and bar districts. There’s white oak and as Luke Combs mentions in “Houston we got a problem”, W 19th St.

Not sure if you’re into the packed nightlife districts, but if so, check our Midtown and Washington Ave.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 09-30-2021 at 11:25 PM..

Old 10-01-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
For shopping with street level foot traffic, I would check out River Oaks District

Galleria Mall is great and a must visit even though it’s indoors.

I suppose you meant Highland Village. And this development is awesome but it’s not very pedestrian friendly. The stores are very popular with the flagship Apple and Pottery Barn, etc. And Uptown Park is nothing special. North Post Oak is gearing towards the “ultra luxury” and this is great but you have to pay the price if you want to impress or even be accepted.

Based off of this and other posts you’ve made, you should probably check out the Heights. It’s a popular neighborhood for single women and it has a good selection of walkable shopping and bar districts. There’s white oak and as Luke Combs mentions in “Houston we got a problem”, W 19th St.

Not sure if you’re into the packed nightlife districts, but if so, check our Midtown and Washington Ave.

Para, thanks a bunch, man. You continue to drop great insights!

I'll check out that video today.

Yup, Village, not Park. Thanks. Good to know.

Very cool. Thank God I booked H-Town for 5 nights. Lots of neighborhoods to explore and, of course, the sprawl is not for the faint of heart!

Yeah, I've been hearing those mentioned a lot. I'm not a nightlife guy but may be worth checking out.

Also should I not even bother with checking out Downtown? Looks likely they’re are a couple nice parks, Main St, and that POST being built, but not sure it gets much foot traffic?

Last edited by Codederick; 10-01-2021 at 10:15 AM..

Old 10-01-2021, 01:52 PM

2 other places that you should look into given your interests,

1. Rice Village

It’s a shopping center that borders the Rice University campus (technically it’s actually part of the campus).

2. Dun Huang Plaza

This is the biggest attraction in Chinatown. It’s suburban but very walkable and huge. In this video, it appears low traffic. But usually on weekend evenings (and even late at night) it’s very high traffic. This plaza is a good place to get a sense of Houston’s diversity which in my opinion is one of the top things that the city has to offer and one of the main things that keep me here.

Old 10-01-2021, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codederick View Post

Also should I not even bother with checking out Downtown? Looks likely they’re are a couple nice parks, Main St, and that POST being built, but not sure it gets much foot traffic?
It does get foot traffic, particularly on game nights (Astros or Rockets). Not sure about pre covid vs post covid but there’s a whole other thread about that. It seems like during the time you’re here, the Astros will be in the playoffs for the ALDS. Go for one of the home game nights, and you’ll be guaranteed foot traffic since playoff games always sell out.

Weekends have foot traffic as well. If LocalPlanner or Redlion give their input on how downtown is right now, they’ll be a good source since they seem to frequent there on weekends.

Old 10-01-2021, 06:33 PM

Quote:
2 other places that you should look into given your interests,

1. Rice Village

It’s a shopping center that borders the Rice University campus (technically it’s actually part of the campus).

2. Dun Huang Plaza

This is the biggest attraction in Chinatown. It’s suburban but very walkable and huge. In this video, it appears low traffic. But usually on weekend evenings (and even late at night) it’s very high traffic. This plaza is a good place to get a sense of Houston’s diversity which in my opinion is one of the top things that the city has to offer and one of the main things that keep me here.

Quote:
It does get foot traffic, particularly on game nights (Astros or Rockets). Not sure about pre covid vs post covid but there’s a whole other thread about that. It seems like during the time you’re here, the Astros will be in the playoffs for the ALDS. Go for one of the home game nights, and you’ll be guaranteed foot traffic since playoff games always sell out.

Weekends have foot traffic as well. If LocalPlanner or Redlion give their input on how downtown is right now, they’ll be a good source since they seem to frequent there on weekends.

Yeah man. I've been researching Rice Village and watching videos and it looks really nice. Upscale and loaded with shops and restaurants. Oddly enough, kind of reminds me of my old stomping grounds of Evanston, IL.

That's funny. I was just mentioning to my dad and brother that it looks like the Stros will be home on Thursday and Friday when I'm in town.

Old 10-02-2021, 02:50 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,478,124 times
2. Dun Huang Plaza

This is the biggest attraction in Chinatown. It’s suburban but very walkable and huge. In this video, it appears low traffic. But usually on weekend evenings (and even late at night) it’s very high traffic. This plaza is a good place to get a sense of Houston’s diversity which in my opinion is one of the top things that the city has to offer and one of the main things that keep me here.-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you get Houston diversity in Chinatown?
Is that stupid Dun Huang supermarket still in business?I used to know a night shift manager who had a fist fight with fellow colleague?
That Plaza is right across from Sterling plaza where H Mart is?
I see Great Wall supermarket ,is it any good,what about sea food,I may check it out next time?
We have this postman whose grandfather is in Chinatown restaurant business,now he just rented his Dun Huang restaurant location to third party,he said only 3 out of ten Chinese restaurants make money in Chinatown.
WHY?
The food is too Chinese and Americans dont know how to order or even eat them?
So now it is up to the Chinese diners,they know how to pick ,so they just go to the best restaurants .
I have not been to the plaza lately,I will check it out next week

Old 10-02-2021, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
2. Dun Huang Plaza

This is the biggest attraction in Chinatown. It’s suburban but very walkable and huge. In this video, it appears low traffic. But usually on weekend evenings (and even late at night) it’s very high traffic. This plaza is a good place to get a sense of Houston’s diversity which in my opinion is one of the top things that the city has to offer and one of the main things that keep me here.-
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How do you get Houston diversity in Chinatown?
Is that stupid Dun Huang supermarket still in business?I used to know a night shift manager who had a fist fight with fellow colleague?
That Plaza is right across from Sterling plaza where H Mart is?
I see Great Wall supermarket ,is it any good,what about sea food,I may check it out next time?
We have this postman whose grandfather is in Chinatown restaurant business,now he just rented his Dun Huang restaurant location to third party,he said only 3 out of ten Chinese restaurants make money in Chinatown.
WHY?
The food is too Chinese and Americans dont know how to order or even eat them?
So now it is up to the Chinese diners,they know how to pick ,so they just go to the best restaurants .
I have not been to the plaza lately,I will check it out next week
No. It’s a Great Wall Super Market now. That was forever ago. More buildings have opened in the plaza since then lmao. That was middle and high school years for me.

Old 10-03-2021, 01:42 PM

5,614 posts, read 4,939,687 times
Quote:

I don't frequent downtown, so take my posts with that in mind; that said, from what I've heard from folks who do go there, Thursday - Saturday evenings have a fair bit of activity in certain parts of the district, even without games happening. Activity outside of those periods is likely to be event-driven at the Convention Center, Discovery Green, athletic and performance venues etc.

I would think a Friday evening dinner and bar hop in the north end of Downtown would have its rewards, especially if the weather is pleasant.

Old 03-11-2022, 07:20 AM

Does the Galleria get more volume on rainy days? One would think yes, since it’s an indoor spot but I could also see people just staying inside their homes when it rains, since the rain can kind of drop one’s energy and make them sort of lazy. Just curious because I want to go somewhere fun after work today that’s frequented by attractive women. Not a nightlife guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston