Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2021, 04:42 PM

222 posts, read 175,397 times

Advertisements

Why choose A&M??
University of Houston is less expensive and this is what they say the University of Houston Engineering school. The University of Houston is one of the best universities in the world to earn an engineering degree from, according to 2017 rankings released by CEO World Magazine. The UH Cullen College of Engineering was ranked No. 73 in the list of top destinations to receive an engineering or technology degree.

Read the requirements below.

https://www.egr.uh.edu/academics/adm...s/requirements
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2021, 05:02 PM

660 posts, read 1,621,862 times
I never mentioned A&M someone else. UH is good. I'd be happy if my son go there . I have officemates that are graduates of UH.

Does UH have 10% rule? My son will probably be outside the top 10%.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:03 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,254,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Top 10% doesn’t mean the student is smarter, more creative, etc. it means that they fit into the “box” at that schooling system. And a lot of kids who don’t fit into that proverbial box are the ones that will be the most successful. A student who does lots of activities and is a great writer and very creative but who doesn’t conform to the classroom (because let’s face it, the classrooms in public schools only teach to the middle 50% of kids) will get left out of Texas auto admits, but will get admitted to many better national universities and colleges and likely be more successful as an adult because of their out of the box thinking.
Thanks. You get it 100%.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:08 PM

62 posts, read 64,361 times
Quote:
Top 10% doesn’t mean the student is smarter, more creative, etc. it means that they fit into the “box” at that schooling system. And a lot of kids who don’t fit into that proverbial box are the ones that will be the most successful. A student who does lots of activities and is a great writer and very creative but who doesn’t conform to the classroom (because let’s face it, the classrooms in public schools only teach to the middle 50% of kids) will get left out of Texas auto admits, but will get admitted to many better national universities and colleges and likely be more successful as an adult because of their out of the box thinking.
What are these 'better national universities' you speak of? By and large most college admissions is a numbers game of SAT/ACT & GPA.

Only at top universities (where you certainly need to be in the top 10%) or small liberal arts colleges do extracurriculars or being a more 'holistic' person count.

To the OP, UH is a fine school with a good engineering program. Not too difficult to get into as a good student, so it sounds like your child could be a good fit. Great diversity there as well.

Old 10-27-2021, 05:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,674,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffleton View Post
What are these 'better national universities' you speak of? By and large most college admissions is a numbers game of SAT/ACT & GPA.

Only at top universities (where you certainly need to be in the top 10%) or small liberal arts colleges do extracurriculars or being a more 'holistic' person count.

To the OP, UH is a fine school with a good engineering program. Not too difficult to get into as a good student, so it sounds like your child could be a good fit. Great diversity there as well.
There are students who don’t get into a UT auto admit but get into Stanford or Rice for example. And, frankly, a holistic admissions process is better than playing the numbers game. Because GPA and SAT score is really just a game. And the college you attend, and the person you are, and the life you are going to make for yourself should not be based on a game.

And, FYI, I have a high school senior.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:08 PM

19,988 posts, read 18,294,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post
I never mentioned A&M someone else. UH is good. I'd be happy if my son go there . I have officemates that are graduates of UH.

Please listen for a second.

1. I brought up A&M because it is likely the best engineering school anywhere your son has a real shot at.

2. The top X% rules do not apply to UT or A&M engineering.

3. Houston has its own minimum admissions rules.......

Freshman Admission Requirements - University of Houston - Acalog ACMS™

Old 10-27-2021, 06:08 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,368,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brom View Post

Texas public universities vary in their auto admit criteria, from top 6% (UT Austin) to top 25% (various).

The link below provides some historical background on this program as well as the auto admit criteria for various Texas schools.

As of 2019, UH auto admit is currently top 10%. Again, these numbers are for auto admit to the university, not necessarily a specific college or major, which may have more stringent requirements.

https://blog.collegevine.com/what-is...texas-schools/

Old 10-27-2021, 06:20 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,368,733 times
Quote:
There are students who don’t get into a UT auto admit but get into Stanford or Rice for example. And, frankly, a holistic admissions process is better than playing the numbers game. Because GPA and SAT score is really just a game. And the college you attend, and the person you are, and the life you are going to make for yourself should not be based on a game.

UT auto admit is top 6%, with the rest evaluated using a holistic admission process.

https://admissions.utexas.edu/apply/decisions

A university’s acceptance rate also depends on the number of qualified applicants it receives relative to the number of openings available. So in theory it’s possible for a student to be rejected by UT but accepted by Stanford or Rice if UT’s application to opening ratio was greater than the other two.

This of course assumes all three schools have the exact same criteria and selection process for admission, which is doubtful given the subjectivity inherent in a holistic approach.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:20 PM

19,988 posts, read 18,294,884 times
Quote:

I agree that automatic admissions are well intended but lame because auto-admit rules guarantee a fairly large number of lesser qualified students from poor high schools.

FWIIW The Dallas Morning News ran a story a few years go about a kid who didn't get into UT but did get into Yale.

I disagree strongly........grades, but would add weight per high school course selection, and test scores are the best way by far to ID earned educational attainment and potential.

Old 10-27-2021, 06:28 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,674,117 times
Test scores are NOT in any way the best way to ID education and potential. At all. Schools that have gone test optional- and have for decades- have only seen stronger students than when they required test scores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston