Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2021, 10:13 AM

65 posts, read 58,682 times

Advertisements

Engineering is one of those degrees so in-demand it almost doesn't matter where you attend. UT, A&M, Tech, OU, etc all place their engineering grads at the same companies. Tech's Petroleum Engineering had and probably still does a near 100% job placement rank. Go wherever you get into and that makes sense cost wise for you, kill it on grades, and you'll be just fine. People put so much stock into schools when in reality these schools place many of their grads at the same companies with some minor exceptions at times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2021, 09:26 AM

836 posts, read 774,372 times
Stats on average GPA and test scores of admitted students are easy to obtain.

Our experience from 2018 Chemical Engineering was:

Daughter was top 3% of HS class but that meant nothing because none of the “big 3” followed it at all.

UT - Was not accepted (we were told because they were building a new Engineering complex and there was very little available)

UH - Was not accepted, but she was offered an $18k scholarship for some stupid reason

A&M - Was accepted

BTW, at the time UH tuition was more than the other two

TT is a good option for Engineering

Old 11-02-2021, 10:59 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Stats on average GPA and test scores of admitted students are easy to obtain.

Our experience from 2018 Chemical Engineering was:

Daughter was top 3% of HS class but that meant nothing because none of the “big 3” followed it at all.

UT - Was not accepted (we were told because they were building a new Engineering complex and there was very little available)

UH - Was not accepted, but she was offered an $18k scholarship for some stupid reason

A&M - Was accepted

BTW, at the time UH tuition was more than the other two

TT is a good option for Engineering
Wow. It's much tougher now than when I was applying.
So the auto-admit did not apply to the engineering school at all? I know that's the case in UT Austin but didn't know the other schools are also so competitive. Even UH could turn away a top 3% student?
Sounds like OP's student is going to have a hard time.
Chemical/Electrical/Mechanical Engineering and Computer Science are very hard majors so kids who did not shine in high school probably shouldn't bother anyway.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:16 AM

100 posts, read 90,104 times
UTA and UTD both have very good engineering programs too. I went to UTA and it was very rigorous and an excellent education.

Old 11-02-2021, 11:40 AM

836 posts, read 774,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
So the auto-admit did not apply to the engineering school at all? I know that's the case in UT Austin but didn't know the other schools are also so competitive..
No, the Engineering colleges did not recognize it.....it was valid for general admittance to the University only.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:01 PM

967 posts, read 2,610,311 times
Have you looked at Trinity in San Antonio? My college aged kids have friends that are there for engineering.

Old 11-03-2021, 02:55 PM

19,796 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by descovy View Post
Have you looked at Trinity in San Antonio? My college aged kids have friends that are there for engineering.
I'd guess the kid in question has almost no chance to get into Trinity.

Old 11-04-2021, 09:43 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,172,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
I'd guess the kid in question has almost no chance to get into Trinity.
My boss's kid got into both A&M and Trinity and ended up picking Trinity for the culture and proximity to San Antonio/Austin. It does seem like a pretty strict school with stuff like curfews in its code of conduct.
The 36% acceptance rate does seem pretty generous.

Old 11-04-2021, 10:36 AM

19,796 posts, read 18,085,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
My boss's kid got into both A&M and Trinity and ended up picking Trinity for the culture and proximity to San Antonio/Austin. It does seem like a pretty strict school with stuff like curfews in its code of conduct.
The 36% acceptance rate does seem pretty generous.

It's the OP's kid's test scores, granted I don't know precisely what the OP means by average scores, that would make him a long shot at Trinity.......with an inbound ACT average of 30+ (30 = 93th percentile) and SAT average around 1350 (around 90th percentile) it's not an easy admit.

Old 11-04-2021, 02:06 PM

1,952 posts, read 829,020 times
My nephew just graduated from Tech with a Chemical Engineering degree and I went to Lubbock for his graduation ceremony. During that visit, we walked through the engineering buildings at Tech and there I saw a sign that said that 92% of their grads had a job before they had their diploma.

He is currently working for a large petrochemical company in Houston and making what I think is a pretty good starting salary and awesome benefits. He is also getting ready to buy a new King Ranch F150...so yeah...I would say our Engineering College can give you a bright pathway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston