Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,775 times

Advertisements

I'm a gigging musician in London. What is the music scene like in and around Houston?

What is the situation about gigging around and in Houston? Busy? Club work, functions?

Last edited by da jammer; 05-17-2008 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 07:14 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
What is the situation about gigging around and in Houston? Busy? Club work, functions?
What kind of music do you play?

There's plenty of live music around, but a lot of spots that are spread out across the city. There isn't one central "place to be" like there is in Austin. For this reason it can be difficult to promote and get lots of people into the same spot.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:21 AM

We do mainly covers. I know that the music in the USA is different to what they like in London, my wife is American. Usa has a harder edge. I will have to create a completely different set list there to here. I do a lot of function work and club gigs. Is country the most popular type of music there or rock or covers?

Old 05-17-2008, 07:51 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,493,997 times
Well we have the Pot Belly Pig........

I love the sandwiches but I can never eat there. The live "music" is so loud I can't even think.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:07 AM

Music is great in a bar or club, but if it gets too loud it becomes more of a nuisance than entertainment. If it is too low it is pointless and difficult for the musicians. You have to adjust your volume to the venue. Too many bands feel that if it isn't full volume it isn't music. I'm afraid those kind of bands are playing for themselves and not the public.

What is the club scene around houston like?

Last edited by da jammer; 05-17-2008 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-17-2008, 02:56 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,655,984 times
Quote:
We do mainly covers. I know that the music in the USA is different to what they like in London, my wife is American. Usa has a harder edge. I will have to create a completely different set list there to here. I do a lot of function work and club gigs. Is country the most popular type of music there or rock or covers?
No your music is not very different then ours. I was married to a Brit for many years. She still is in touch with Steve Hackett of old Genesis to this day. She was a musician and jambed and hung out with the most famous of them. I think I have a pretty good feel for our country's different musical tastes.

I hate to steer anyone away from Houston but I wonder if Austin is a better fit for you. Austin is called the Music Capital of the world. Anything goes, any taste goes over there.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:57 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,832,525 times
My fitness trainer is in a rock band. Apparently they are pretty good, they played in some cable reality TV nonsense, battle of the bands thing. I just remember Johnny Rotten was one of the Judges. Anyway, they play pretty regularly in Houston and sometimes go to Austin and recently traveled to Arizona for a gig. Grandpa here doesn't know much about that business other than what I have heard him talk about, so apparently you do have to travel every now and then to other locales.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:22 PM

I just felt that Austin might be overloaded with music. Houston might be better for introducing music from the UK. I sang in New Orleans and it was a blast. I'm sure we will be travelling to other cities like Austin but i'd love to get a base in Houston. Good or bad idea?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:27 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
I just felt that Austin might be overloaded with music. Houston might be better for introducing music from the UK. I sang in New Orleans and it was a blast. I'm sure we will be travelling to other cities like Austin but i'd love to get a base in Houston. Good or bad idea?
Do it. You're not trying to make it big or anything, and the bands that come from Houston that leave Houston are usually trying to do that. There's no super-cool-hip-Rolling-Stone-cover-feature music scene here but there is one, and there's room for you.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:37 PM

Thanx jfre81. I have been doing this a while in the UK and have done well here. I do it because i love it and love that feeling when an audience goes home happy. It's a symbiotic relationship, not a "look at me" thing. I have met many, many "budding stars" and the look for stardom takes them over. I enjoy performing and i enjoy the interaction with an audience even more. I'm not into being "mr showbiz" but i like a profesional show. If members of the audience come over to me in the break or talk to me after the show, i feel that i am doing my job. Houston sounds good to me as i am used to big cities. I was just wondering about the taste in music there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: