Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 11:49 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,807,891 times

Advertisements

I know of a couple of neighbors who were able to get their insurance to cover most of the cost of the replacement roof, but it wasn't easy or quick for any of them. It involved a lot of back and forth with insurance and they still didn't get the full value of a new roof.

My experience has been that it's better to carry a high deductible, pay lower premiums, and put your premiums savings into investments that will reduce your probability of a loss (ie replace your galvanized plumbing) and/or just save them so you can pay out of pocket for a new roof. Only use your homeowners insurance if your house burns down or blows up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 12:58 PM

925 posts, read 4,721,186 times
Thanks! Wow! Thanks for an excellent advice.

We paid off our home in January 2021. I can check with my insurance company to keep the deductible high and premiums lower.

Old 11-29-2021, 02:28 PM

18,152 posts, read 25,365,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelguy_73 View Post
We had our roof replaced a couple years ago after a wind storm. The insurance company paid the replacement cost of the roof less our 1% deductible. I'd say the old roof was easily halfway through its life. We hadn't even thought about contacting our insurance company, but our neighbor was like "call them first," and I'm glad we did!
Exact same thing for me,
at the moment, our roof was 12 years old.

I'll just say that ... the roofing industry is a little sketchy and they have A LOT of room to play games with the insurance companies.
That's why roofers go around offering their services to everybody, they know they are always going to end up making money.
One of the things I was told by my roofer is that they have an option to add any issues or additional costs during the job. All they have to do is send pictures and the insurance company will pay them.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:06 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,952,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Hi,

I visited my friend yesterday and he mentioned that he is getting a free roof. I asked him how is that possible? My friend responded that they contacted the insurance company claiming for a hail storm damage in 2019. The insurance company came to their home and did the inspection. Then the insurance company wrote them a check for $17,000. They gave $4000 and applied towards the deductible and other amount to the roofer who is putting a new roof.

Am I missing something? Is this how it works? Even if your roof was not really damaged (My friend's roof was not really damaged) you still get the $$ from insurance. If this is the case then why not everyone uses this approach and gets a free roof.

Any ideas?
It seems like a big racket, roofing companies always make the rounds after a big storm, we have them knocking on our door if we are missing a shingle. We did go that route about 6 years ago, we knew we had leaks, roofing guy we called said he would call our insurance company and have them pay and mentioned some big storm we had months ago. I told them I wasn't comfortable about deceiving the insurance company, I forgot what exactly happened but I think the roofer made the call, it was from storms but I couldn't say when or pin it on one exact storm. Anyways insurance company comes out and inspects, and they paid for it less deductible and I think depreciation for age of roof.

But you have to have some damage and they will inspect for that, they won't pay for a new roof just from normal wear and tear.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:26 PM

925 posts, read 4,721,186 times
Insurance company did come to my friend house and inspect. After inspection they wrote the check for 17 thousand dollars. He used that money to pay the deductible and then for the roof. So in the end he paid zero for the roof.

Old 11-29-2021, 03:51 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,546,768 times
Statefarm sent 2 inspectors out ,they do go up the roof and look at the condition of the roof,since it is 15 years old,they figure it is just a matter of time you will need a new roof,so they approve .
the roof companies will also quote you a price which does not exceed what the insurance co gives us ,they all use subcontractors and these sub contractors hire either new immigrants or illegal immigrants ,it takes 7-9 persons to complete installing a new roof,I doubt if these guys make $100/day?
so yes,it is possible to get a new roof free,check your insurance policy for deductible,if it is 2%,then you may have to pay something

Old 11-29-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marykate1 View Post
Insurance company did come to my friend house and inspect. After inspection they wrote the check for 17 thousand dollars. He used that money to pay the deductible and then for the roof. So in the end he paid zero for the roof.
that $17K should be after deductible,

Old 11-29-2021, 03:55 PM

But you have to have some damage and they will inspect for that, they won't pay for a new roof just from normal wear and tear.
----------
thats why you have to say the storm damaged your roof,no wear and tear.
But there has to be a storm,

Old 11-29-2021, 05:02 PM

18,152 posts, read 25,365,661 times
Insurance company check is sent to the customer
Customer is supposed to give the whole amount to the roofing company
Customer is supposed to pay the deductible

So it’s obvious how roofing companies can play games and make money.
My understanding is that whatever the roofer says it’s going to cost to fix the roof (with some proof)
Insurance company usually writes them a check for that amount.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:02 PM

Insurance co does not always agree with the vendor proposed cost of repair,a mitagation co sent Statefarm 7300 for tearing down my garage drywall and mitigate the garage and attic,listing in details all costs incurred.Statefarm sent me a check of $4183.
Mitagation co sent a lawyer to come after me,I finally paid them $3200.
WHY?
The mitagation co charged for mask,screw driver,nails,filters,trash bags etc while Statefarm said it should be part of doing business,eat it.
Mitagation co sent a lawyer to come after me,I told them because they did not come back to finish the garage,it destablise the garage door opener since there is no ceiling in the garage,they removed my sprinkler control unit and someone has to put it back,it unscrew my ceiling light bulb and cover ,no one can find it, it cost me over $1k to get someone to finish the work .
If we go to small claims court,I may end up paying less,the lawyer knows it ,I am not the only one who refused to pay,others did as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston