Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2021, 12:27 PM

1,085 posts, read 693,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
underwriters and actuarial will use the claims data and the area in general to asses future risks,if the area floods once,it could flood again,so why not raise rates to anticipate such,in some cases,they could withdraw from the area,like in Florida,or exclude mobile homes,motor homes
Flood isn't covered by your homeowners insurance and therefore a complete red herring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Floods are not a great example, since nearly all flood insurance is through FEMA, even though it's your regular agent that sells the policy. All standard homeowner's policies in Texas exclude coverage for flooding as defined by law(multiple properties flooded by rising water over an area greater than some number of acres).

Windstorm, fire, hail, etc rates are driven by experience. We used to use Allstate, until they refused to cover non-brick houses. Which was idiotic, as brick doesn't provide any structural strength as used here in Houston.
Brick houses however are much more hail resistant. one of the big ways these people inflate claims is to cite siding and plank damage, then they don't repair that and the HO doesn't pay the deductible.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
No. They either lied to the insurer about the source of the damage or somehow they were able to prove the damage was caused by rain or they are talking smack and didn't get reimbursed. The latter one doesn't make sense but so many times I have found out someone doing that, perhaps to cover their stupid mistakes or humiliation.
FEMA, not NFIP covered up to $35K in losses. NFIP is what Mojo has, which rides on top of that disaster relief.

Old 12-10-2021, 12:33 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
I am reading my FEMA policy now,building $200k,contents $80K,deductible $1250 each.
if you have turned your basement into a bar or den or office,it only cover washer/dryer/freezer,and installed portable AND window A/Cs.
not your office furniture,electronic devices,bars,carpet,paintings on the wall,bar stools,etc.
I am think of not renewing my policy next year,there is no basement and house contents can be easily replaced ,I also do not have carpet but tiles ,what can flood do to my house?foundations??or the flood water rises high enough to cover the entire house?

Check your flood zone and base elevation. We don't have flood insurance on our current home but it's a risk, probably a safe bet for us given all the relevant factors and like you said, ability to mitigate damages, but there's always the risk of that one in a million case that could be catastrophic. The thing about flood insurance (and perhaps hazard insurance as well) is that one claim could exceed a lifetime of premiums. Our last home we did have flood insurance because of the relevant factors (i.e. 2 streets from White Oak Bayou) and we did get flooded. We collected $75k from insurance. At about $1000/yr (in later years it was about $1800 but a decade earlier is was $500) for 15 years, we won big time.

Old 12-10-2021, 04:25 PM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
I am reading my FEMA policy now,building $200k,contents $80K,deductible $1250 each.
if you have turned your basement into a bar or den or office,it only cover washer/dryer/freezer,and installed portable AND window A/Cs.
not your office furniture,electronic devices,bars,carpet,paintings on the wall,bar stools,etc.
I am think of not renewing my policy next year,there is no basement and house contents can be easily replaced ,I also do not have carpet but tiles ,what can flood do to my house?foundations??or the flood water rises high enough to cover the entire house?
We had 9 inches of water in our townhouse from Allison in 2001. It cost us about $11,000 to get all of the sheetrock repaired, insulation replaced where it got wt, pull up carpet and replace with tile, repaint, clean up everything, etc. And that's not counting the stuff in the garage that tossed because it rusted or got moldy. We have had flood insurance since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Brick houses however are much more hail resistant. one of the big ways these people inflate claims is to cite siding and plank damage, then they don't repair that and the HO doesn't pay the deductible.
Our old cedar siding was pretty hail resistant. Our Allstate agent was really annoyed, and told us Allstate corporate equated brick homes here, which are brick veneer, with homes built out of brick in other parts of the country.

Old 12-10-2021, 09:51 PM

Quote:
We had 9 inches of water in our townhouse from Allison in 2001. It cost us about $11,000 to get all of the sheetrock repaired, insulation replaced where it got wt, pull up carpet and replace with tile, repaint, clean up everything, etc. And that's not counting the stuff in the garage that tossed because it rusted or got moldy. We have had flood insurance since then.

Our old cedar siding was pretty hail resistant. Our Allstate agent was really annoyed, and told us Allstate corporate equated brick homes here, which are brick veneer, with homes built out of brick in other parts of the country.
Yes. As they are far more hail resistant. Your cedar siding was a giant fire risk, brick is not.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:00 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,506,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX Rover View Post
Yes. As they are far more hail resistant. Your cedar siding was a giant fire risk, brick is not.
The cedar had had fireproofing applied before we bought the house. It's a moot point now, since we replaced the cedar with Hardiplank, which is definitely fireproof and hail resistant. We also switched to Amica for insurance and get better coverage for less money.

Old 12-11-2021, 09:50 AM

Quote:
The cedar had had fireproofing applied before we bought the house. It's a moot point now, since we replaced the cedar with Hardiplank, which is definitely fireproof and hail resistant. We also switched to Amica for insurance and get better coverage for less money.
Hardi is considered and should be rated the same as brick veneer.

Old 12-12-2021, 09:15 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,490,397 times
better coverage for less money.
we wont know until we file a claim,how fast do they respond and how soon the $$ arrive and how much they give us?
see,they like to cut you a check and mail vis first class USPS instead of ACH,altho you prefer the later!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston