Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2021, 08:11 AM

4,379 posts, read 4,621,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Right. She needs to talk the county into putting up a vote to let them either incorporate into different little cities or merge with the City of Houston. There needs to be more localized policing and Hidalgo's plan is a bandaid that won't stick long.
I'm going to take a wild guess and say most people living in these unincorporated areas would either vote NO or not vote at all. I don't think many every day average people in this metro think that deeply into incorporated or unincorporated suburbs and how it impacts their day to day life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2021, 09:26 AM

5,613 posts, read 4,937,855 times
The folks here trashing Houston's suburbs are going to unnecessarily create an economic development issue for the Houston metro. There's no reason we can't compete with Collin County in our current state, we don't need purveyors of negative publicity out there driving more relocations to Plano / Frisco instead of Houston.

Old 12-03-2021, 09:48 AM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
The folks here trashing Houston's suburbs are going to unnecessarily create an economic development issue for the Houston metro. There's no reason we can't compete with Collin County in our current state, we don't need purveyors of negative publicity out there driving more relocations to Plano / Frisco instead of Houston.
That’s correct. A company will look into this thread when deciding wether to relocate to Collin County or Unincorporated Harris County. Good thing Hewlett Packard came around before this thread started.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 12-03-2021 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-03-2021, 10:59 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s correct. A company will look into this thread when deciding wether to relocate to Collin County or Unincorporated Harris County. Good thing Hewlett Packard came around before this thread started.
I think Local is saying the negativity towards Greater Houston posted in these thread's is representitive of a wider population of self loathing Houstonians in the general population which can and does have an effect in real life.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
I think Local is saying the negativity towards Greater Houston posted in these thread's is representitive of a wider population of self loathing Houstonians in the general population which can and does have an effect in real life.
Considering Texas is often considered the laughing stock of the country and that hasn’t stopped any companies from coming, I would say that’s objectively false. Companies move to places due to where it works for them. Where there’s a good workforce, education, taxes, incentives, etc. a company doesn’t move from Sunny California to the cowboy state for pleasure.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Considering Texas is often considered the laughing stock of the country and that hasn’t stopped any companies from coming, I would say that’s objectively false. Companies move to places due to where it works for them. Where there’s a good workforce, education, taxes, incentives, etc. a company doesn’t move from Sunny California to the cowboy state for pleasure.
Texas is ridiculed a lot more outside Texas than inside. In most areas of Texas the locals are very protective of their local image and do not self loath like many in Houston do.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Texas is ridiculed a lot more outside Texas than inside. In most areas of Texas the locals are very protective of their local image and do not self loath like many in Houston do.
To the first, the things LP was mentioning comes from outside of Texas so that doesn’t matter anyway. Texas is ridiculed where these so called relocations come from. (I say so called because LP’s definition seem to change so often. One day it’s a corporate relocation the other day it’s a new office opened etc).

To the self loathing thing… I’m not sure about usc but DabOnEm and NigerianNightmare aren’t self loathers. They are mentioning a problem that exists here that would be better if fixed which is the NW Harris County incorporation situation. There’s objectively problems that they bring. Whether this particular thing is one of them or not, there’s other similar problems. Countless amount of threads, they mention the positives some people seem to get upset when the negatives are mentioned. If that is self loathing, then I’ll be damned. I talk to people everywhere that don’t mind telling you everything that sucks about where they’re from. Houston isn’t perfect just like no other place is. People will bring up the negatives when they’re justified.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:33 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Now That’s funny. Thanks for the afternoon humor.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:38 AM

4,244 posts, read 8,759,365 times
Quote:
To the first, the things LP was mentioning comes from outside of Texas so that doesn’t matter anyway. Texas is ridiculed where these so called relocations come from. (I say so called because LP’s definition seem to change so often. One day it’s a corporate relocation the other day it’s a new office opened etc).

To the self loathing thing… I’m not sure about usc but DabOnEm and NigerianNightmare aren’t self loathers. They are mentioning a problem that exists here that would be better if fixed which is the NW Harris County incorporation situation. There’s objectively problems that they bring. Whether this particular thing is one of them or not, there’s other similar problems. Countless amount of threads, they mention the positives some people seem to get upset when the negatives are mentioned. If that is self loathing, then I’ll be damned. I talk to people everywhere that don’t mind telling you everything that sucks about where they’re from. Houston isn’t perfect just like no other place is. People will bring up the negatives when they’re justified.
If self loathing mean calling it like it is, then I’ll wear it like a badge on honor. There’s plenty to love about Houston, but the way we approach crime isn’t one. Houston unincorporated areas are a joke.

Old 12-03-2021, 11:48 AM

Quote:

There is a fine line between constructive critiques and irritating negativity that is counterproductive. I'm hoping that you and the other posters you mentioned know where that line is. The wider population of negative nancy's hopefully will take note of your discreation's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston